GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talon vs. Hydra?  (Read 5261 times)
EnergonCube
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 16, 2009, 01:40 PM »

I'm planning on purchasing a new kite later this summer and was thinking about the Talon or the Hydra. Can anyone give me some advice as to which one would be better for an intermediate level flyer? I'm interested in knowing which one would be best for learning more advanced tricks.

Thanks!
Greg
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 01:42 PM »

You could do what I'm doing and get both Smiley  A Hydra for STD winds and a Talon UL for those lighter days!

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:48 PM »

I can't say anything about the Hydra as I've never flown one. But I can say that I have more fun flying my Talon than I've ever had flying any other kite. Most tricks are built into a Talon. Just ask and it does them.  Cool

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
EnergonCube

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:59 PM »

You could do what I'm doing and get both Smiley  A Hydra for STD winds and a Talon UL for those lighter days!

Yeah. I could do that. But then why spit into the wind? My wife would would go ballistic. Roll Eyes   Gotta choose my battles carefully.  Wink
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:45 PM »

Yeah. I could do that. But then why spit into the wind? My wife would would go ballistic. Roll Eyes   Gotta choose my battles carefully.  Wink

Heh, I understand that one.

Well, given that I haven't flown the Talon yet, you'll have to take this with a grain of salt,  but if you're an intermediate flyer looking to learn tricks, then the Talon might be the better bet.  I think it has a wider wingspan than the Hydra, and would probably fly a bit slower.  I let a friend of mine try the Hydra today, after he had been flying the Soul for about an hour, and his first (and oft-repeated comment) was "It's FAST!". 
jaydub

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:26 AM »

Greg,

I think you'll struggle to find anybody who has flown both, so you're only likely to get a slightly biased view from whoever comments.

I can safely say that I don't know anybody who has regretted purchasing a Talon or sees it as anything else than their 'go to' freestyle kite.

I bought one after six months flying and some angst about whether I was good enough for it.  I needn't have worried.  One of its great strengths is the way it likes to stay stalled and just gives you that bit more time to make the next move.  All kites have some compromises in their design, but the Talon is a kite that displays no major areas of weakness.  The biggest issue is that the bottom end of the wind range is ~5mph (at least in my hands), so you'll find yourself wanting to buy the UL as well at some stage.  Undecided
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:42 AM »

If the Talon is a bigger and slower kite than the Hydra, then you wouldn't make a mistake by picking it over the Hydra. I flew my Mini Gem on Saturday after flying my Nirvana and the Minigem was just too fast. If you want to learn to trick, you're better off with something bigger and slower. A faster kite might axel real nice and fast but you have to be really fast with the inputs to get it to do other tricks that you're learning.

And besides, it seems that EVERYONE loves the Talon. I know that I'm tempted - even though I've finally gotten my bag full of great kites.

Bob D.
EnergonCube

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 06:32 PM »

'Nuff said -- I'm sold. Talon it is! Plus, I'm in love with how cool it looks.  Cool

Thank you, everyone!
King-J

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:05 PM »

'Nuff said -- I'm sold. Talon it is! Plus, I'm in love with how cool it looks.  Cool

Thank you, everyone!

I think you made a good choice, as soon as Mark gets the knocks in, my UL should be finishing up and soon after he will be putting together my standard.
After flying Denny's standard I was sold.
I should have ordered both at the same time but because of my slow reaction, my standard got put at the end of the list (only fare).
After Talking with Denny & Steve on the last Chico Monthly Fly, they gave me an Idea about a guy how had all his kites the same color so his wife didn't know how many he had, will see if this works for me since I ordered both  Wink

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
EnergonCube

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:05 PM »

a guy had all his kites the same color so his wife didn't know how many he had, will see if this works for me since I ordered both  Wink

Haha! That's brilliant. Let me know how it goes.
anOldMan

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:25 AM »

a guy had all his kites the same color so his wife didn't know how many he had, will see if this works for me since I ordered both  Wink

Have fun hiding the vents. My other half+ seems to notice small things like that.

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
jaydub

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 12:16 PM »

Have fun hiding the vents. My other half+ seems to notice small things like that.

And I can't work out how you get your wives to even look at kites.  All mine does is look at the bank statements and tut.  Roll Eyes

All I get asked is: Why do you need so many?  What's wrong with the ones you've already got? etc, etc.  Undecided
EnergonCube

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 06:41 PM »

All I get asked is: Why do you need so many?  What's wrong with the ones you've already got? etc, etc.  Undecided

Well, truth be told, I do the same thing to my wife. Only it's over her shoes.  Cheesy
kitebug
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 07:54 PM »

could they even be compared apples to apples? I have not flown either, but judging by shape and look of the sail they seem to be very different as far as how they will feel and fly at the other end of the handles

Volando!
Cisco
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:03 PM »

I flew a Hydra for about 30 mins at KP7... I really liked it.
A bit slower and less pitchy than the Talon. I love my Talon UL, its the first out of my bag.
I would like to hear from some Hydra owners, as they would have a lot more time on this kite.
As much as I'd like to add a Talon Standard to my collection...I think my next sport kite will be a Hydra.

Nice Build, and the Focus guys are great to deal with.

Say Good Night Dick
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document