GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 07:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talon vs. Hydra?  (Read 5142 times)
Dave a
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 04:46 PM »

"...I let a friend of mine try the Hydra today, after he had been flying the Soul for about an hour, and his first (and oft-repeated comment) was "It's FAST!"..."

Quote from: moegeo
I flew a Hydra for about 30 mins at KP7... I really liked it.
A bit slower and less pitchy than the Talon.
Ok, now im confused.
Im absolutley torn between these two, and these quotes arent helping  Huh
I dont want a fast twitchy kite, and im sure both of these are excellent kites, but i wish i knew more about how these two compare side by side.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 06:31 PM »

Im absolutley torn between these two, and these quotes arent helping  Huh

At current exchange rates, a Talon is AUD$398 while a Hydra is AUD$380... I'd spend the extra $18  Wink

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 06:33 PM »

The Talon is smooth and flowing. I wouldn't call it twitchy in any way. Even in 10 to 15 mph wind.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Mark E Mark

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 12:21 PM »

I wouldn't call the Talon 'twitchy' either. It does respond to smaller inputs than some kites - more of a wrist and forearm input than big arm movements.
EnergonCube

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 02:37 PM »

At current exchange rates, a Talon is AUD$398

Hmmm. Am I doing the exchange wrong? I'm coming up with $310 (using the British Pound and not the Australian Dollar). Does your estimate include shipping, too?
KaoS

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 04:49 PM »

At current exchange rates, a Talon is AUD$398

Hmmm. Am I doing the exchange wrong? I'm coming up with $310 (using the British Pound and not the Australian Dollar). Does your estimate include shipping, too?

According to XE dot com GBP198 = AUD402 = USD310 (it has gone up since yesterday).  This is the raw cost of a Talon (unshipped) and you get to choose your colours.

The cost of a custom (choose your own colours) Hydra is USD295 = AUD377.  So the difference is now AUD25 or USD15.  I'd still pay the extra and get a Talon.

Kevin Sanders

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 08:58 PM »

The shipping charge on my Talon's was $0.00 each.
Don't know what Mark charges to ship to Oz. Or what Focus charges to ship.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Dave a

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 03:16 PM »

At current exchange rates, a Talon is AUD$398 while a Hydra is AUD$380... I'd spend the extra $18  Wink

Ok, trigger pulled, Mark has my order  Cool
You were right about the Soul, and you were right about the Double Zero (for different reasons), lets see if you will be 3 from 3.

...and i got permission from management !
jaydub

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 03:57 PM »

Not a decision I can imagine you regretting.

The Talon has been my 'go to' kite since December 2007.

Santa came up trumps with this one. Smiley
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 01:38 PM »

I flew about a dozen kites at Wildwood and I would say the Hydra comes out on top in my opinion. They are not better than the Sea Devil but EVEN in my opinion as this is my go to kite but I personally like kites with easy inputs. The only adjustment I would have to make is for the FADE it does flare out real easy - even more easier than the Sea Devil! Its less twitchy than the QPro. It tracks SOLID with very little PULL. For the money - dollar for dollar its the best kite I flew at Wildwood. Actually DeBaker won the Masters Ballet with this kite. The only dilemma in talking to DeBaker it only comes in the Standard at this time. Its a kite worth testing if you are looking for a new STADARD replacement. I am not sure how better the new Nirvanna could be to this Hydra? I will be at Liberty State Park in July possibly to answer this question (for myself anyway)?

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 03:22 PM »

I flew about a dozen kites at Wildwood and I would say the Hydra comes out on top in my opinion. They are not better than the Sea Devil but EVEN in my opinion as this is my go to kite but I personally like kites with easy inputs. The only adjustment I would have to make is for the FADE it does flare out real easy - even more easier than the Sea Devil! Its less twitchy than the QPro. It tracks SOLID with very little PULL. For the money - dollar for dollar its the best kite I flew at Wildwood. Actually DeBaker won the Masters Ballet with this kite. The only dilemma in talking to DeBaker it only comes in the Standard at this time. Its a kite worth testing if you are looking for a new STADARD replacement. I am not sure how better the new Nirvanna could be to this Hydra? I will be at Liberty State Park in July possibly to answer this question (for myself anyway)?

But you didn't fly a Talon right? (and i tought it was THE question asked)

The new Frank!
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 04:06 PM »

But you didn't fly a Talon right? (and i tought it was THE question asked)

Part of the problem is, there are very few people who've even flown both, let alone own both.  In this crowd, Frazier might be the only one qualified to offer an opinion on the side by side comparision.

Having spent a bit more time with my Hydra, and from having watched it in Paul's hands earlier this month at the Atlantic Coast festival, it has an amazing low wind range capability, thanks to the solid mylar just above the trailing edge.  I've been flying it all weekend in 2-3mph winds.  It actually flies in winds which are too light for my Zephyr, and that's a kite with an advertised 1-17mph wind range.

Likewise, I played around with Glen's Hydra in what had to be 16-20mph winds last month, and while it was bumpier, we were still able to trick with it.  So I wouldn't be put off by this "Standard" label on the kite, since it seems to have a capable range from 2-20, even in my own inexperienced hands.
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 04:55 PM »

I can only comment on the Hydra. To me its like the Exile-UL - you will have a tough time finding even one flyer saying: "This kite did not work for me AT ALL." Wink Wink Wink

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
KaoS

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 04:53 AM »

The only adjustment I would have to make is for the FADE it does flare out real easy - even more easier than the Sea Devil!

Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean it is not easy to hold in a fade?

Kevin Sanders

fworley
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 05:23 AM »

Well ... we all know about the Talon's so I'll speak up for the Hydra.

Its very nicely built and in the US (for those of you who care about such things) with interesting and innovative design features. It has a big wind range - from UL to strong STD and is not only very freestyle/trick capable - but it has decent precision too. Old skool / flatspins are nice .. and modern yo-yo and turtle moves are there too and very reachable. All this for a very fair price with custom colors available ... what more could you ask for ?

I'll be picking one up later in the year, 'nuff said ?

-Frazer

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:25 AM by fworley » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document