GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with a 10 stack micron classic  (Read 1254 times)
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: May 25, 2012, 12:29 PM »

I got this years ago at the prism garage sale. Just today started thinking about putting it together.
Questions.
1. I have the link lines but no pig tails to tie them to. Is there a special way to link the classic microns together?
2. Do I need to get more of the black rubber bands to hold these together?
3. Are the new micron repair parts interchangeable with the classic? I need two standoffs and a upper spreader

Thanks
Ray
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:35 PM »

hey man! welcome back!!!!
black rubber bands???
you want pigtails attached to the back of each kite so that if you need to pull the stack apart it is easy to do so...take some time and make up 2" long ones...

iirc the new microns are bigger all together..... if you have the standoff clips still on the sail you can just copy those and make some new rods....
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Rx8doc

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:43 PM »

The black rubber bands hold the spreaders in I think. There are old rubber bands on all the spreaders so I a guessing.
36 pig tails to tie tonight then. Embarrassed
Good to be back.

Just moved to Dallas TX. Constant 15-30 mph winds so a lot of low wind kites from my Dorey park Richmond VA days will be hitting the swap meet.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Ah... the good ol' Micro stack.  Don't forget the spine pigtail.  That would make it 45.  Wink

Yes, it will be easier to use pigtails, especially with the older style Microns.  Did you get the micron stack lines from Prism?  Mine had the pigtails included with the link lines so you might double check.

Awhile back I put together a 4 stack of Microns, 2 old style and 2 new style and it works well.  Unfortunately some of the parts aren't interchangeable.  The US on the old style has those little stoppers at each end, new style does not and is just a straight solid carbon rod.  Old style Micron also does not have LE cutouts for APAs while new style does, so you can't really use the newer APA fittings unless you cut a section out of the LE material - might be worth it if you want to make them all the same (not sure if you have an old/new mix).  Standoffs between old/new are different as well but these might be easily interchanged, I'd have to look at them again.  I'm not quite sure if they were different lengths.  Spreader lengths may also be different between old/new, but I'm sure Steve or someone will have the specs.  I can pull mine out & check later if not.

On mine I just ran the pigtails through the LE "holes" or by the APA, depending on which version it was.  Even lost one of my old style upper spreaders and it still flies fine.. which reminds me, I need to find one of those.

thanks,
  Mike
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:10 PM by Smeagol » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Welcome back.  Smiley

Don't forget the tails.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Rx8doc

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Yes mine are old school with holes. I will make pigtails this weekend. Thanks for all the help

Kite flying Chiro   RX8Doc

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 10:06 PM »

We have a classic ten stack with the holes in the sail and it does not use the fifth link at the spine.......Works great without it! (sposin' the tiny sail makes it unnecessary as the only wobble is at the take-off in minimal wind- I mean how much can a Micron wobble hobbled in four places?)  Undecided Undecided

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Rx8doc

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:49 AM »

"how much can a Micron wobble hobbled in four places?" try to say that after a few beers Cheesy
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 01:28 PM »

Wow! and it didn't break?!  Shocked    Shocked    Shocked
I would have never thought those leading edges were so flexible!   Huh

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:19 PM »

Gotcha.  Agreed, not sure how much the spine link line helps (if any).  My link lines came with a 5th lines so I just used them.

We have a classic ten stack with the holes in the sail and it does not use the fifth link at the spine.......Works great without it! (sposin' the tiny sail makes it unnecessary as the only wobble is at the take-off in minimal wind- I mean how much can a Micron wobble hobbled in four places?)  Undecided Undecided

Jim

Nice pic!

-Mike
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 04:13 PM »

Although this picture is not near as good as SKB's, (it doesn't show the deformation of the upper leading edge on the lead kite) it does show the amount of the 'crippled duck' syndrome that seems to be in all of the Micron stacks to some degree.  It doesn't seem to hurt the way the stack flys, but always makes me nervous nonetheless. Always thought I wanted to reframe the lead kite, (I have beefed up the spreaders on it) but now am thinking it would be best served by making a ghost kite for the front of the stack.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 04:31 PM »

i would suggest upping the rods int eh first kite of any stack....that first one takes a lot of beating and twisting...that is why a 5th stack line leg would be helpful as well...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document