GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox pro UL.. first impression.  (Read 3073 times)
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24 AM »

That's great Bell could chime in with details. (thank you sir!)

What would be fantastic, (at the same time, may be asking too much) is an extra set of standoffs with the kite, and the 3 trailing edge holes pre-punched/hot-cut.

Thoughts?

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 09:28 AM »

I did say an extra set of standoffs. Why was this not spec of the kite originally?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:33 PM by harveystubbs » Logged
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Awesome! Thnx bell.
I think I have everything I need.

My soul came with extra standoffs,
I think they are long enough.

I just hope I do a good job poking those new holes.
So just a hot nail will work?

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 09:36 AM »

That's great Bell could chime in with details. (thank you sir!)

What would be fantastic, (at the same time, may be asking too much) is an extra set of standoffs with the kite, and the 3 trailing edge holes pre-punched/hot-cut.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a prism kite....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 09:52 AM »

a hot nail would work....but i would go for a cheap soldering iron and a filed down tip....ou will have a bit more control...

you might want to read this: http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9726&highlight=washer from the kitebuilder's forum about how to consistently make holes...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
bell
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 06:42 AM »

Smiley No upper spreader easy to do Yoyo Smiley

Bell Chiu
red sweater

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 07:02 AM »

I hadn't seen this thread before.

I'm still a beginner, and the SF Pro UL is my first kite with much trick capability. I'm still working out kinks in my axels and half-axels, so I fly it without the stock weight. I have had a little difficulty getting it to turtle (intentionally Wink ), but I haven't been focusing on that. I figured I was doing it wrong. I did make a few attempts at a flapjack, but I think I was popping it from the ground too soon because it would always fall to the ground halfway through the LS. I figure that letting the nose fall a little further before the pop will get it a little further off the ground before the turtle? Regardless, I need to dedicate a session to working on turtles before I can say much more about it.

So, removing the upper spreader will help with turtles, too? And the last couple times I've flown it, the wind has been right at the lower limit for the kite. Any harm in flying without the US in light winds? I assume this will help the kite get in the air, but it also changes the balance and rigidity, right?

Edit: Oh, one more question. The parts list specifies a 7mm end cap, but I'm having difficulty finding vinyl end caps measured in metric. 7mm = .276 inches, but Steve only has them in .250 and .281. Is there another source that has metric? Should I go up to .281, since it's much closer to 7mm than the next smaller option?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:07 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
bell

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 08:11 AM »

Smiley No upper spreader easy to do Yoyo Smiley

SF 2.3 PRO UL / No upper spreader No problem

Bell Chiu
red sweater

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 08:22 AM »

The trick repeated (three times) from 0:45 to 0:53...is that a half axel to a 540? I think that could be my next goal, since my half axels are starting to come together nicely.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51 AM »

That trick is a taz. For some reason that trick still escapes me... I can land them about 30-40% of the time. During the half Adel, let the nose go whit higher in the nose away position and tug the inner line of the kite. Then give Lots of slack and fly away in the opposite direction. It is an awesome trick m. One of my favorites.
Good luck and have fun
Shane

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 01:24 PM »

I thought I would add my observations on the new Silbver Fox 2.3 Pro UL……

I have always been a fan of Bell’s kites. I have clocked up many many hours on the original Silver Fox 2.3 series.

I really like the SF2.3 Pro ‘standard’. I have never had problems performing one pop roll ups on it.

I pre-ordered the SF 2.3 PRO UL from Steve some time ago and very nearly cancelled the order when I read some of the initial feedback on the forum. However, I proceeded with the order because a) I have enjoyed every other one of Bell’s kites and b) it didn’t feel right to back out of the pre-order.

I’m really glad I continued with the order!

I fully agree  - on the single stand off setting, I fiind the SF 2.3 PRO UL incredibly difficult to roll up using the one pop method no matter how hard I try. Two pop roll ups are do-able though (but always tricky for me). I have tried removing the top spreader but still can't do thos nice one-pop roll upslike the one shown in Bell's video. Bell - do you have more weight on the tail in your videos??

I will now experiment and try the 2 standoff adaptation suggested by Bell to see what impact it has.

However,………….

I honestly feel the stock kite with single stand offs is a really great UL kite. It flies in very very low winds. When I flew today and the wind died further I removed the top spreader and the tail weights and it coped even better. It’s got great precision, feels like the sail really catches the wind and does nice smooth axel based tricks. I like it lots!

In short, I agree with what other say about the pitch based trick ability on the single stand offs, but I still love this kite. It’s well made and the price is good.

Hope those thoughts are helpful

Nigel  Smiley

kiteflyer
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 09:54 AM »

Hi Guys,
   Where can I get one of these? Nobody seems to have one.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:30 AM by kiteflyer » Logged
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Hi Guys,
   Where can I get one of these? Nobody seems to have one.

Try Steve at GWTW / Chico kites
red sweater

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 03:19 PM »

That's where I got mine. And yes, I don't see them anywhere either.

My bag:
Rev EXP
kiteflyer
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 03:47 PM »

Steve doesn't have it listed on his site... Neither does Flying Wings???
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change