GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 06:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to cut carbon spars  (Read 3356 times)
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 10:36 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VWHTUG/?tag=carolpa-20 was thinking about buying this. Thoughts please
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VWHTUG/?tag=carolpa-20 was thinking about buying this. Thoughts please

If you used the mini cutoff wheels with it, it should work. But still go slowly and I'd still wrap the rod with tape 1st.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 11:04 AM »

there was a discussion about these (the harbor freight version which i think was even less$) and using a reinforced wheel that is offered as well.   overall response was good experience with them.

same thing though: rotate the rod while cutting it.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 11:15 AM »

I almost bought that cutoff saw @ harbor freight but they didn't have any cutoff wheels in 2" at the time, just the metal blade which I didn't really want to use for cutting carbon.  I'm sure it would work though if you go slowly enough as has been mentioned.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 11:53 AM »

I have been using a cordless Dremel with a diamond cut off blade for the last 3 years, it is lightweight, easy to get the exact angle and zips through carbon rods like butter.  The metal diamond blade on it never wears out...at least not in the last 3 years and I cut tons of carbon at the shop here.  No tape needed (but it does make it easy to see the cut line).  After cutting, I set the Dremel on end and round the ends of the spar on the blade.  Use a mask to protect from the dust.  It has never snagged or ripped/splintered the carbon, even when cutting P90's, Zero's or 4 wrap Rev rods, it just melts right through.

I would highly recommend this setup to anyone who is cutting large amounts of spars.  It can also be taken to the flying field with you if you ever wanted to be on the field doing spar repairs (personally, I don't bother at the park and in the event of a broken spar, just use another kite - this way I can maximize my limited flying time).

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 12:44 PM »

Been used by many, in fact kiteguy here on our forum but more active over on Kitebuilder forum under the same name wrote up his mods to the Harbor Freight version which is the same saw ($27.99). He removed that clamp system and installed a length of extruded aluminum L angle I think he even glued a dressmakers fabric ruler on it. Then you could add one of the window locks for sliding windows to give you a stop if you are cutting multiple spars the same length. Harbor Freight doesn't have 2" cut-off wheels to fit that saw but as I recall Dave (kiteguy) found that by removing the safety shield (Not recommended but hey my dremel doesn't have one) the 3" wheel they do carry will fit.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 04:06 PM »

that's why you guys are the best   Smiley
Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change