GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deadspot with Debray Replica  (Read 1180 times)
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: May 28, 2012, 07:12 AM »

hiya folks,

i need your help....

when doing a flic-flac i noticed my vana replica has a deadspot
when i pull the kite from a pancake into a fadeposition.

i re tied the bridle, but still have the same problem, does anyone have the solution for me??
i read and have a sheet with bridlemeaserments from reed design.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:57 PM »

IF its the one you got from Mike I noticed the same thing when I tried it and on his other nirvanas as well.  It seemed to like a perfect flat flare or slightly nose low flare position and a really smooth pull.  ANy snap in the fade pull and it killed the pitch and even a couple degrees nose high would lock the flare.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Let it sit in the flare for a moment and then pull it smoothly back to the fade.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:01 AM »

Hey Martijn,

Did you retie the bridle to Debray specs?

Sorry I am no Nirvana expert, hopefully others will chime in.

-Mike

martijn

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:37 AM »

IF its the one you got from Mike I noticed the same thing when I tried it and on his other nirvanas as well.  It seemed to like a perfect flat flare or slightly nose low flare position and a really smooth pull.  ANy snap in the fade pull and it killed the pitch and even a couple degrees nose high would lock the flare.

thanks for your input!

a couple ot times i got it right....thought i did a smooth pull backwards and kept it in fadeposition,
but its behaviour is totally diiffer than my nse, it really needs differ inputs i have to practice more for getting comfortable with.
it is a more technical kite, but i feel the potential, but i really hate that ..... deadspot!
martijn

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42 AM »

Let it sit in the flare for a moment and then pull it smoothly back to the fade.

thanks for this suggestion...

i will try it out as soon as i get my vana debray out on the field again.
i noticed, when the wind picks up, it alows more slamming and kicking and i can beat it with more firm into a fadeposition...hmmm awkward Roll Eyes
martijn

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46 AM »

Hey Martijn,

Did you retie the bridle to Debray specs?

Sorry I am no Nirvana expert, hopefully others will chime in.

-Mike

hey mike,

i removed your attached pigtails at the US and removed the knot from the '' loop '' and larksheaded at the LE
Really don't know if it is debray or RTG setting now....

but i will tie both bridles from your sheet and will notice if that will be the clue and makes me sattisfied.....
Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44 AM »

This is what I used when trying out the different bridles:  http://reeddesign.co.uk/pdf/NirvanaBridles.pdf

Think you may already have this though.  There are several variants in that PDF.

-Mike
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:31 PM »

The box stock Debray bridle setting were super heavy and few IMO could really extract what the kite's namesake could with that bridle. I would definitely suggest going with the RTG Reverse Turbo for that kite.

There should be no dead spot with that kite if the bridle is right and the US and LS are positioned correctly. I do not recall those settings exactly but believe the US was somewhere around 34.5cm from tip of nose to center of ULE connector. (Use the molding seam.) Not sure about the LLE. Also, the center T needs to be exactly in the center of the cutout.

Hope some of that helps.

martijn

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 01:18 AM »

thanks randy, i will try that!
KeithG

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56 PM »

I have the RTG on mine thanks to Randy. As he said it came out of the box set very heavy and I had some issues getting the most out of it. Once we changed to the RTG things got much better, at least for me.

At one time there were only four of these in the USA. At some point one of them went back across the pond, not sure how many are still stateside other than mine, Funny fact, three of the four in the USA were in southern states, two in Alabama and one in Georgia. The fourth was with JimB in New York I believe.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 03:08 AM »

That dead spot is pretty common in kites with design characteristics similar to the Nirvana (the Machine has it too).  Like Jim said, you could hesitate a moment before pulling back to fade, or you could also actively stop the kite from over-flaring.  The flic-flac essentially becomes a 3-input trick - flare, pop to stop the flare before the kite is complete horizontal, pop back to fade. It becomes second nature after a while.
martijn

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 11:20 AM »

#21 is now over the pond...
the netherlands to be more exact,
thanks to Mike ( Smeagol ) who did a awesome trade with me Smiley

i still did not tied a RTG bridle, but tomorrow i have a day off. so then i will...finally Wink

i have a full set of NSE and none of these has a '' dead spot ''

i let you all know, when i fly this beauty again with the adjustment and my experience....
Smeagol

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Hey Martijn,

I think it was set to RTG specs when I sent it over, but it's been awhile.

Hope you're enjoying it. Wink

-Mike
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 12:28 PM »

How much weight is on the tail?  I've noticed that lots of weight can cause this on some kites. 

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document