GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 01:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Schultz: Patron Saint of Kitefliers everywhere  (Read 1649 times)
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: May 16, 2009, 04:26 PM »

http://comics.com/peanuts/2009-05-16/

Smiley

Larry
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:21 PM »

Thanks Larry.  After today I needed a laugh.
Jerry
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:02 AM »

On the contrary, Charles Schultz has done more than any other person in history to promote the idea that Charlie Brown is "every man". His annual tirade about Charlie Brown and kites plainly states that Charlie Brown is the ultimate loser.

The average American thinks of Charlie Brown whenever kites are mentioned and he automatically dumps kites (and kitefliers)  into the "loser" bin. If you allow yourself to be  categorized as a "Charlie Brown" by accepting the "joke", you allow the myth to continue.

Each of us should stand our ground when kiting is pitched into the loser catagory. We should reply "Yes, Charlie Brown is a loser, but kiting is actually a highly complex activity that requires imagination, skill, curiosity, and an understanding of nature and of phyics.
   Many other cultures hold kiting in high esteem while a large segment of U.S. citizens bow down to the idea that kiting is a foolish waste of time."

Just remember, Charlie Brown can't fly a kite - but you can - and that removes you from the loser catagory. Stand up and prove it.

Stoney

knightflyte
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:51 PM »

Well...... That's a buzz kill.   Wink

Charlie Brown was a 10 year old boy. The fact that no one around him gave him credit for not giving up or gave him a helping hand says more about those around him than it does about Charlie. It's not like he couldn't have kicked that football. Lucy was a mean spirited witch that reveled in her manipulation of him.

That being said, I do agree that kiting isn't looked at the same way here as it is elsewhere. I've shown YouTube clips to some people and they shake their head in disbelief at what is possible.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:29 AM »

Loser or not, that was a funny comic and I have it now printed out and hanging on our "laugh" wall.

Now go fly a kite! Smiley

knightflyte

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 12:00 AM »

Amen!

LOL. I didn't really take stoney that much to heart, afterall it is just a cartoon. Hope Stoney didn't take me as too antagonistic.  LOL.  He is aproud kite flyer and loves the sport....as we all should be.

I can't believe I disected (with a dull knife, yet) the social implications of Charlie Brown and kite flying. LOL

Alright... I'm going flying.
vraun

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:12 AM »

Here's another one.

Vaino
St. Catharines/Niagara
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum