GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 01:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 First impressions  (Read 4907 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 05:58 PM »

I stand corrected.....  Need to study those drawings again.
ghfisanotti

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 03:57 PM »

I received my E3 this week, just had time to fly it yesterday and was quite disappointed with its performance just out of the bag, for me (I may qualify as an intermediate pilot) it was almost impossible to backspin this kite, two or three of my friends experimented the same with it, apart of that, fades were very unstable, requiring constant corrections to keep it there for a few seconds, the turns were too wide and slow, the pull quite strong. As a previous E2 owner, I expected the E3 to be just like the E2 or a little better, I also own a Zephyr, but the only trick I could do easily on this E3 were the 540, the axel and half axel.
Based on the experiences of other E3 owners read in this forum I started fiddling with the bridle and found that by shortening the outhaul I could improve backspin performance a little, at least I can get a backspin started in half of my tries. I also got some extra improvement by giving it a longer turbo, I tied a couple of knots on the leader line so I could move the inhaul attachment approximately two inches away.
Today I tried to copy the E2 bridle, keeping the original outhauls and replacing the inhauls for a longer one and attaching it approximately 3 inches below the strong wind knot in the outhaul. This was very easy to do due to the particular way of attaching the  inhaul to the center-T. The kite changed quite a lot to my liking, it didn't pull so much as before, fades were much more stable and backspin much more doable. I still don't like the way it does lazy susans.
Will keep experimenting with the bridle till I get more comfortable with this kite, it so nice that it's worth the extra effort.
I'll try to keep posting my findings as I advance on this experiments.
Best regards from Argentina.
ghfisanotti

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 04:42 PM »

I had the opportunity to fly the E3 again today (three days in a row, that's lucky, isn't it?), this time with the exact mods suggested by Gardner in this thread and although the wind was too light today, I got the feeling that the kite is flying much better with this mods than out of the bag, particularly the backspin and the stability of the fade.
One question to Gardner and Dave: is it me or the yo-yo stoppers are a bit too high on the leading edge? I mean, I feel it is relatively difficult to steer the kite once rolled up, particularly in low winds. I may try lowering them one inch or so.

Regards from Argentina,

Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53 PM »

I'm glad to hear that the suggestions worked for you.

In answer to your question about the yo-yo stoppers, I didn't notice whether they were too high or not.  Rolled up control seemed OK to me

Gardner
ghfisanotti

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 07:27 PM »

I've posted a video flying the E3, you can take a look at:
Prism E3 21-jun-09

Regards,

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 02:48 PM »

Very nicely done.  Love the camera angle.

Adams

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 08:01 PM »

Thanks a lot Gardner... now I found what I'm looking for in E3. Feel better with my E3 after doing the mods. Really like it. Thanks  Grin
Gardner

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 09:45 PM »

You're welcome.  Glad to help.

Gardner
Langs
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 12:03 AM »

hey there,
 I'm new here and found this forum from your awesome you tube video. (Thank you and very well done!) I am a long time kiter and two months ago bought an E3 to get into freestyle. So far I can fade, axle and backflip Smiley

I am going to try this bridle setup... my question is: Where do you guys like to place the E3's spine weight? I have it in the middle between the center T post and the bottom of the spine.

Thank you, I look forward to this new found forum!

Langs Cool
Gardner

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 07:05 AM »

Try setting the weight about 3-4 inches below the center-T.  That what Mark R. recommends.  Thast seems to work great.

Gardner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document