GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 02:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canard ability  (Read 769 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 31, 2012, 04:17 AM »

Hi
Can anyone compare Canard glider kite with other good glider kites.
Canard  has mediom performance and floaty ability or it on higher level?
thx
all best
boris
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:19 AM by vigli » Logged
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:54 AM »

most of the canards that i think of are are static kites that are stable flyers....
then you have the modified ones: 61/49 and the Plutzs....modified marconi/platz gliders that have a canard aspect to their designs....

the premier Canard i see as a stable lower wind flyer.....with the canard wings being so small on this platform i do not see much gliding ability of it - granted it has been a long time since i have flown of these.

The 61/49 and the plutz series -1,2,3,large,mega - (including the ZeroG from Prism) are designed for gliding and active flying....

there are a number of self made canard-like kites that might have a bit more glide than premier's kite.... definitely a kite design you can tweak as you wish!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43 AM »

One aspect of the canard designs taken after the Platz/Marconi design is that most incorporate an adjustable canard to tune the glide ratio. Other designs are tuneable through the spine curvature but I find canard tuning more intuitive and accurate.

I've flown a couple of both designs and couldn't say one or the other has an advantage. I personally like the canard designs better and have found them to be be more responsive or lively, designs like the Manta/Skate I've felt were more stable in a straight line glide.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:00 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:27 AM »

I find that the with the way my 61/49 is set up it does not glide well, it is a super efficient climber and it turns like nothing else!   and gosh darn it i love it that way!

The plutz kites (and Zero G) were designed to be good gliders.
The Plutz1 is a phenomenal climber and an okay glider...this is my favorite...
The Plutz2 is a awesome glider but it cannot climb very well - good for long but short flight areas
The Plutz3 (and ZeroG) are a good combination of climber with a strong essence of a glider.....ceewan worked hard to get the balance between these two aspects...and he did a great job.
The Large Plutz (there are only 7 of them) were funky hybrids that glided okay and climbed okay
The Mega Plutz (soon to be available again) are a giant version of the Plutz 3 so it will glide very well and climb pretty well too.

you can see versions of the Plutz kites:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115067130188444109402/CeewanSPlutzKites?noredirect=1
https://picasaweb.google.com/115067130188444109402/CeewanSCreations?noredirect=1
I have to put up pix of the Mega...dang...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
vigli

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:50 AM »

Thanks for help
I fly Canard as a kite, not as a glider.
How to tune it for zero wind condition?
With a lead in the nose-as I read and it is natural to me.
Any info how much lead is ok and does more heavy line is better?
Also does spine curvature has to be changed or just to work with lead...?
thx
boris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography