GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help choosing SUL  (Read 2770 times)
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: May 31, 2012, 04:10 PM »

I'm hoping to get your thoughts and opinions on an SUL you may have and love.
I was thinking about getting an Ocius SUL, ProDancer SUL or a Benson Inner Space.
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.  Smiley

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Lots of opinions.  Mine is this....

First decide if you want a kite that flys in literally nothing (even indoor) with little to no effort, but is limited by its mass as to the tricks that it will perform; or one that flys in next to nothing with some (perhaps considerable) effort, but gives you most (if not all) tricks.   

And, of course, all sorts of kites fall somewhere on this scale.

I find that I want both - an indoor SUL and and outdoor SUL if you will. 

My indoor SUL is not very tricky, but it does some things like axels, backspins, fades, taz machines (all rather slowly and oddly compared to a standard), but no yoyo or comete - just not possible to any reasonable degree.   

My outdoor SUL will not reasonably fly indoors, but in 1-3 mph (even up to Cool I have tons of fun with it and it will easily one pop yoyo and do anything that I can do on my standards in a very similar fashion.

-Tom

6 kite tom
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38 PM »

https://vimeo.com/14239282         Cool

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:19 PM »

I don't have a Prodancer, but do have the Ocius and innerspace.  The Innerspace is one of the best no-wind or low-wind kites I have flown.  It will usually fly when nothing else will.  Even in dead calm or zero winds, you can fly it with a bit of foot work.  It is a true indoor kite, not really a SUL.  I nearly always fly mine outdoors when the wind is non-existent.  It will handle winds up to about 4-5 mph but that would be pushing the upper limit and it is a very delicate kite.  It pulls good and solid in 3mph and you will most likely be pulling it out of the air very fast if the winds pick up.

The Ocius SUL is awesome.  It will fly nicely in 1mph winds with footwork and trick very nicely in 2mph+ with minimal effort and movement.  Haven't had it out in more than 5-6 mph as I never had a need or got stuck with the stronger winds.  I also won't waste a very nice 5-7 mph on an SUL kite and will immediately go to my Widow Maker or Solus (or other standard kite, those are just my current go-to kites right now).  The Ocius tricks very nicely for an SUL kite.  As mentioned above it doesn't have the weighted mass to trick like a standard, but as far as SUL's go, it is the trickiest one that I have flown.  All rotation tricks are pretty nice, pitch tricks can be done but you have to give it some slack and be patient with it.  I am sure someone with better skills than me could roll it up, but I struggle to do that (not my strongest tricks).  Slots and Taz's are incredibly beautiful and smooth. 

As mentioned above, if you are wanting tricks, I would go for the Ocius.  If you want to fly no matter what and don't care about most tricks, the Innerspace is awesome.  BTW...the Innerspace has beautiful 540's, cuts a very nice and flat axle....but that's about all I can get out  of it...maybe an axle to fade.

Hope that helps.

kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Tpat,

what are these kites you speak of?

Desertflier

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09 PM »

I would like to know too tpatter.  Roll Eyes 

Basically I would like to have a kite that I can fly in little to no wind with little effort.
It does not have to do every trick in the book. (I can't do them anyways).
I like doing axles, axle or flare to fade, lazy susans. Rotational stuff basically.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39 PM »

Benson Inner Space would be my suggestion:

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Desertflier

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57 PM »

Ohhhhh! Those are so nice.
That's it, I'm gonna get me one.  Grin

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 02:25 PM »

Tpat,

what are these kites you speak of?

I fly 3 kites in uber low wind in this order

- Prism 4D: you can easily fly it indoors and it does a fair number of old-school tricks, but no yoyo and its all a coaxing affair - no slap it around stuff (it in no way flys like a standard kite at all).  I like it from 0-2.

- Fearless SUL Tattoo:  I like this one with the reverse turbo which I have just recently put on.  I like the 3 point bridle as well, but the rt makes this kite totally da bomb!  I fly this one from 1-7/8 or so.  It does it all in this wind very similar to the standard (esp with the rt bridle). 

- Transformer SUL:  This one needs a little more wind than the Fearless SUL, but it flys and tricks better than most standards.  It has no compromises that I can find. I fly it from 2 to 10.

Also, you mileage may vary, numbers given are my best guess and have not been vetted by Guinness, etc, etc,...

Good luck,
-Tom

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:42 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 02:40 PM »

I would like to know too tpatter.  Roll Eyes 

Basically I would like to have a kite that I can fly in little to no wind with little effort.
It does not have to do every trick in the book. (I can't do them anyways).
I like doing axles, axle or flare to fade, lazy susans. Rotational stuff basically.

You just sold a 4D and it will do all of that:
wedgwoodtom (Tom Patterson?)
Prism 4D Superlight

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
harveystubbs

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 03:34 PM »

Talon SUL or TNT zero ..... simple ! Cool
PUZZLE

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 04:41 PM »

I second the innerspace, my goto favorite kite. Flew john c's and I was hooked

Desertflier

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:59 PM »

All righty, my Inner Space has been ordered.  Grin
White sail with purple "b".

I had a 4D but sold it. It does fly down to 1-2 mph. and is pretty tricky but it was just a little too fast and squirly for me. A little unpredictable at times. The gusty, bumpy desert winds I have here don't help. I prefer a larger sail.

I have a Nik Nak that I like to fly when there's hardly any wind. I can fly it down to 1-2 mph. no problem but it is not real tricky.

This new Benson Inner Space should be fun in real light wind and be more trickable. I can't wait.  Wink

harveystubbs

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:01 PM »

Good choice plus Tim is a nice fella ! Cool
kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14 PM »

All righty, my Inner Space has been ordered.  Grin
White sail with purple "b".

I had a 4D but sold it. It does fly down to 1-2 mph. and is pretty tricky but it was just a little too fast and squirly for me. A little unpredictable at times. The gusty, bumpy desert winds I have here don't help. I prefer a larger sail.

I have a Nik Nak that I like to fly when there's hardly any wind. I can fly it down to 1-2 mph. no problem but it is not real tricky.

This new Benson Inner Space should be fun in real light wind and be more trickable. I can't wait.  Wink

Nice Choice...

I have been all around this question as I don't have an SUL.
Considered the Airwave Zero, Talon SUL, TNT Zero, Ocius SUL, and at present the leader board consists of a Seven SUL, or the Benson Innerspace...

Although I could have flown at lunch today, rarely will this bird see airtime around here.

I have both a 4D and HQ shadow that have been on and off the chopping block...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change