GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teaching kids to fly  (Read 1891 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: May 16, 2009, 09:52 PM »

we had the best day today..  we headed to the beach around 5pm..  the winds were up a bit but doable for me with the mamba..  I hadn't seen the shadow behind me of Steve's kite for a but so i turned around and looked to see where he was and he had 2 little boys..  maybe 7 & 9yo and he had them flying the Nitro vent.. neither of them had ever flown before and i have to say they were both naturals!  The youngest was just plain good.. kids seem to gravitate to him..

I found a not so young..  maybe 35yo who obviously didnt know anything about his kite so I went asked if he wanted any help.. he had a little Pyro.. it took about 20 minutes to untangle his lineset..  teach him how to set up the kite and get it in the air..

sometimes days like this are actually the best..  putting down your kite and teaching someone else can be so satisfying..  we found a "giveaway" in the truck and left the kids with a new to them sport kite..  i think their parents were as thrilled as th kids were..  Sam sent us a bunch of giveaways a couple years ago..  those kites have brought so much joy to so may people...

Are you willing to put your kites in the hands of a newbie?

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:33 PM »

I teach any person to fly on the kite I am using at the time.

Vapor, Inner Space, Opium Collector, TrickTail UL, SkyMaster. They have all been flown by newbies.

Lost a Vapor sail once, other than that, just sticks.  Lips sealed

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:36 AM »

Any standard kite I will, I don't with an SUL for two reasons, the fragility, but most importantly the difficulty of flying in the bumpy low winds we have here. Just not the time to introduce somebody to flying IMO. With a smooth breeze on the coast where the kite was displaying enough drive to stay in the air without fighting it I would consider it though.

If somebody breaks your kite they are going to feel bad no matter if you tell them it's fine. If they've asked you how much a kite like that costs and heard $300-$500 and they broke it you might not see them back at the Park. JMO.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:42 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:48 AM »

Recently, i was flying and a guy and his son came up and wanted to know more about stunt kites as he was amazed with what the kite could do. He also wanted to try out the kite and fly , but told him i could not on the kite i was flying , and that if he came back the next day i will bring a stunt kite that he can try out. I also told him where to go on the internet to get information on stunt kiteing . The next day , they both appeared at the park with an inexpensive  dual liner from Wal Mart, and i got down to teaching them the basics. Now , they are at the park almost every day. It is so good to know that i could help them , and also promote kiteing  in my area ,and now, we now have another young flyer who have joined us . Apart from the four of us , there are other single liners who fly daily.            Cry   My little park is getting too small.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:48 AM »

Hey John, I have only seen you teaching females to fly do you in fact teach anyone?

I pick up kites on clearance or discount and always try to have some with me at all times.

Any time I spot someone having trouble with a kite, I offer help, some times its as easy as telling them to let out more line to launch a single line, and others its a complete lesson on assembly, flight, and packing up.

I feel the need to get as many people involved in this sport as I can.

I had a incident a couple of years ago, I was at Pacific Beach one morning, I had staked out a 30 year old coaster delta and was flying a variety of dual lines. Suddenly a young girl (maybe 11 or 12) came up holding my spool and asked if this kite was mine. I was thinking "why would you dig my spool out of the sand?" Man was I wrong.

Turns out the kite had freed its self and was drifting towards the upper floors of the hotel, she had seen the spool skimming the beach and rescued my kite.

After thanking her and reeling in the kite, I switched to a more forgiving dual line (I think it was the Zilla) and approached her family down the beach. I again thanked her, and offered she and her brother instruction/introduction to dual line flying.

The family was vacationing from Canada and all came to the handles, brother went first and was typical of a novice. Hands and arms flaying around and me trying to keep his elbows to his sides and control with back and forward motions, he eventually smoothed out some and did ok, except for the constant over control.

Then his sister took the handles from my hands, now she must have listened closely to my instructions while her brother was flying because she was a natural. I rarely remove my hands from the handles with newbees but after a few minutes I was standing behind her amazed at how well she controlled the kite from side to side and even trying some loops, with my encouragement and my hands moving her elbows.

After packing up my bag (it was about time for the wife to be getting up for her first cup of coffee) I walked back over to where the family was sitting and gave each of the kids a kite (SLK) and again thanking her for saving my delta.

The next morning while I was flying I saw her down the beach with her new kite in the air having a great time.

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

blueydoneder
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:41 AM »

Yes - John does in fact teach others and is very good at explaining in ways for us newbies to understand. Had 2 of us attempting 540's on his Innerspace last Friday night,  definitely a good ambassador for the sport. It's probably entertainment watching us attempt what others do so easily, he guides others more than he flies the times I have been present. But I am sure the comment was in humor and all that know John would say the same.  Thanks again John!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:09 PM »

Are you willing to put your kites in the hands of a newbie?

Absolutely.

If I'm currently flying a Micron I might try to get them something more stable.

I've never had problems with SULs if the wind is right. A Vanishing Point in 2mph isn't going fast enough to do much damage and it's a far better experience for the first time than trying to put them on a more "durable" but harder to fly kite.

The worst newbie damage I've ever had was just last year. I went flying with some co-workers and let them take turns on a Bad Boy. After a hard nose plant I went and put the velcro back on the tail and all was well. After a few more hard hits with the velcro popping as required I stopped worrying. Well, it looks like before the last hit I didn't get the Velcro back all the way because the sail tore down from the center T a couple inches. No biggie. First damage on a kite I've been flying since 2002. Totally fixable.

When a newbie is struggling with their first kite there's nothing like putting them on the lines of something fancy. They get hooked. I suppose they could get discouraged that they have to spend more money for a sweet kite, but for most folks it's not about the money. They just WANT one.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05 PM »

I always try to help them get their kite flying first, hopefully succesfully but often our winds just aren't going to let them fly it. At that point I'll explain the advantages of the larger kites and let them try one if they want. I'll also explain that even though mine is pretty expensive being custom built that they can get a kite with similar abilities from GWTW, I used to steer them towards the Pyro & Pyro XS until they disappeared, now I'll talk about the Quantum. I wish Prism would offer inland versions of the Quantum & Nexus using P200's for a weight reduction.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50 PM »

I do it!
Debbie, actully the Mako you sent me was by good friend, brett's, first time flying on anything. He took to it VERY well. He has a first step and is flying alot now.

Ill put anything but some really important kites into the hands of a newbie. Ppl have flown my Inak, Mamba, Mako, Muse Standard,  Tramontana, Phoenix (HQ), etc.

I wont put moonie's in their hands, and I wont put some of my favorites in their hands. NO UL's, except the tramontana UL. SUL's ill only use the Inak. Vents, none. I use the phoenix with windscreens

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum