GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 08:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hawaiian fly in wildwood  (Read 4345 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 03:42 PM »

Got the one I have at a Fry's Electronics, have to ask Chris if they have or had them at Toys r Us.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DaveH
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 05:35 PM »

Speaking of Hawaiians, anybody seen the Hawaiian by Kite Factory? It's a nearly exact duplicate in 1/3 size or so - 34" wingspan. Haven't flown mine yet but the coolness factor was well worth the $10.98  Cool

Mike, kiteking you need a stack of these  Wink

I do have 2 Hawaiian team kites (one from early on I added the whisker kit and one re-make from this year) Haven't stacked them yet.

I would love to get a line on the ones from Kite Factory

I've got a couple too, in the original cheveron pattern.  I always fly them stacked. Its really fun and you feel like you're holding onto a lot!  Noteworthy, I never do this in strong winds......  I'lll do it inland if the winds are fairly light, but I mostly save that nonsense for trips to the beach Cheesy
Sketch

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 11:00 AM »

IIRC, it was first called a 3/4 Team Hawaiian and later a Maui.

That had a name... what was it called?

A Maui? Can't remember..

...and how about a 3/4 Team Hawaiian?

HA!
Anyone who can ID this little 3/4 Hawaiian..or who ever owned one...is really kinda----------Datin' themselves as old kite-koot-krazzeeee's....especially even the mention of DON TABOR'S  Grin Smiley
bye the way...that little 3/4 was a HAMMERIN' WIND DEMON IN STRONG WINDS...A REAL HOOT N' A HALLER...Speaking of HALLER''Those little kites were really noisy little screamin WIND DEMONS..
(humm? WIND DEMON...humm? another high wind small kite by KATHY GOODWIND that reaaaaaaaaaaallly HAMMERED THE HIGH WINDS with style and profile.
(I still have beefed up tri-wrapped Wind Demon somewhere in my old kite bag that holds all my memories of the good ol daze. Lips sealed
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:08 AM by Sketch » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 12:24 AM »

I spent an afternoon with a Wind Demon in high beach winds, once I put my Spectra lines on it it provided one of the most memorable days flying I've ever had. What a fun little kite  Smiley  senility will probably be erasing those memories soon though  Wink

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 06:03 AM »

IIRC, it was first called a 3/4 Team Hawaiian and later a Maui.

That had a name... what was it called?

A Maui? Can't remember..

...and how about a 3/4 Team Hawaiian?

HA!
Anyone who can ID this little 3/4 Hawaiian..or who ever owned one...is really kinda----------Datin' themselves as old kite-koot-krazzeeee's....especially even the mention of DON TABOR'S  Grin Smiley
bye the way...that little 3/4 was a HAMMERIN' WIND DEMON IN STRONG WINDS...A REAL HOOT N' A HALLER...
Gee. You found me out. This was one of my first kites.  Smiley Wink Smiley

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 06:08 AM »

Hi Hawaiian owners.  Wink

Nice pictures, many thanks.

Could you please have a look here too ?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:10 AM by Tataouine » Logged
Sketch

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 12:08 PM »

Nevanuff...Hawaiiiiiiiian Team Kites
My old # 13 Sail...still looks like a new one..after all these years. This old kite used to scare the S--!!!! out of his old Dad when my young son would ride it down the beach behind his water skiis.

This old photo from 1991?

[attachment deleted by admin]
ainokea

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Back in the day, a friend of mine stacked 12 Hawaiians. If you could fly it for at least 5 minutes unassisted, with rolls, (in 10-15 mph) you got a very cool tee shirt. That thing was a total animal. Many tried and failed.  Cry

Ian

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
antman

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 05:00 PM »

12 in a stack.. back then i could have done it but now .. no way

kiten00b
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 07:16 AM »

Got the one I have at a Fry's Electronics, have to ask Chris if they have or had them at Toys r Us.
I bought 3 of them at Toys R Us, but these mini Hawaiian Team kites  need serious work if you want to fly them as a stack. The bridles aren't set at all accurately on any of the 3 I have and the fiberglass rod frames are really noodley.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 01:44 AM »

Yeah and I think an upper spreader would benifit them in the "Noodley" dept., the bridles are trash but I'd like to get a few more and stack them JFS&G

Sketch, nice, but not quite "New", that hot pink nylon fades even if never exposed to the sun  Sad

antman

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 07:21 AM »

im glad i started this thread.. the fly never happend at the wildwood festival but who cares .. its really cool to see a ton of hawaiian owners all across the globe.. nowc lets see some spinoffs Smiley

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 02:00 PM »

I don't have any digital pic's, but I have a color matched pair, Team & Spin-Off. Purely by luck.

Don Tabor was known to be a generous man and at the end of 1989 he ran this little add (see below) in the back of Kite Lines Magazine. I contacted them and requested a Spin-Off sail in "Warm" colors to compliment my Team when the winds were low. A few weeks later a Spin-Off Deluxe sail showed up in the mail in the exact colors as my Team. One almost unnoticible flaw where the coating of the fabric showed a little white streak about 3 inches long by 1/16 wide. I framed it as an ultra light using glaspar .298's and added stand-offs.

Smiley   Smiley   Smiley   thanks Don

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:02 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 08:09 AM »

dMy first real stunt kite was a Hawaiian Maui, the 3/4 version.  Great kite, in fact I still have it with all of its .2400 pultruded rods.

Gardner
kitekrazy
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 08:13 PM »

Nevanuff...Hawaiiiiiiiian Team Kites
My old # 13 Sail...still looks like a new one..after all these years. This old kite used to scare the S--!!!! out of his old Dad when my young son would ride it down the beach behind his water skiis.

This old photo from 1991?

That is a beautiful kite.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum