GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 01:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism custom  (Read 1935 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 02, 2012, 01:36 AM »

Hi
Wondering does Prism made any kite it Seattle now?
I think it would be nice idea Prism to open Custom order for kites which are not in production any more.
What do you think, If they open  that custom order place, how much interes will be for older design from kite flyers- for Total Eclipse, Elixir, Vapor, Radian...
It would be more for collectioners, I gess...

Just to say my thinking.... Vapor is Prism icone.  Pitty they don't give a chance for passion kite flyers to order new one because it is really something spetial. Just my thinking....
Also Elixir. Before 12 years Elixir and Gem were mainly talk on this forum. Tim still made his Gem and Prism not.
But I think there are many flyers which would like to have one Elixir. or I'm wrong.....?.

enjoy the day......

Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47 AM »

The QPro is the only kite still made in Seattle.  It is nearly impossible to order a non-standard sail layout on that kite. 
temoniprince
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:39 PM »

The Elixer was the kite of the future. It was waaaaaaaay ahead of its time and still is.  One of my favorite kites to this day!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:47 PM »

Compared to the volume of lower end kites Prism now sells....

Bringing back older Prisms for a few collectors (50 at most?), is not worth
the effort for the return.

This won't happen unless Mark gets bored (really bored). Considering he puts
in about 60-70 hours a week running Prism, our chances of seeing an older
design are very slim.

I doubt if we'll ever even see another high end dualie from them again.
Sad.....  Cry

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:03 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:21 PM »

I have had this conversation with Mark many times ... never going to happen.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:37 PM »

I have had this conversation with Mark many times ... never going to happen.
But iirc wasnt there a new vapor offering to gwtw members right around the beginning of april? Wink

But more seriously, can you share on why this wont happen?

Sine Metu!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56 PM »

Oooh, a mylar Prophecy.  I'd love one of those, anyone have one they'd part with? Wink

I'm definitely a fan of the old school Prism stuff.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:25 PM »

It was said that the cost of bringing back a classic prism makes it not worth the effort.  I highly doubt Mark would have destroyed the templates but even if he did have them it would take a lot of work to get set up for a run.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:04 PM »

I still have an all Mylar Triad.  Cool
Mylar love at its finest.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:23 PM »

I'd always thought when one of these old school kites came up you guys were simply waxing nostalgic. So now I want to ask what made them high end? What are the differences between what was then and what is now, aside from how they're divided between old school style and new.

(I think I am about to have a d'oh moment)

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:44 PM »

I'd always thought when one of these old school kites came up you guys were simply waxing nostalgic. So now I want to ask what made them high end? What are the differences between what was then and what is now, aside from how they're divided between old school style and new.

(I think I am about to have a d'oh moment)
I guess its the difference in business philosophy mainly.  Back then PRism was more of a butique kite maker and built more for the comp flyer which was fine when kites were really popular but with the demand for high end kites and kites in general losing popularity Mark made the decision to gear things toward the masses and focus more on bringing more people into kiting with budget friendly kites that are built well and perform well.  THeir focus isn't just on the high end competition level market .
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02 PM »

I'd always thought when one of these old school kites came up you guys were simply waxing nostalgic.
It's mostly nostalgia but there are kites no longer in production that really don't have a direct equivalent available today that offer the same sort of flight (and ownership) characteristics. If you want to fly in a particular way it may well be that you need that particular kite.

So now I want to ask what made them high end?
If we're sticking to Prism then let's be quite clear - their early products pushed the standards of quality up throughout the industry. Their top-of-the-range stuff was very nice, very desirable.

What are the differences between what was then and what is now, aside from how they're divided between old school style and new.
Not everyone wants to fly at the cutting edge. Some people have found what they're looking for and just want more of that. I would point you towards Revolution but we're talking about kites here  Wink

I can't help think that these old designs that are no longer made offer some sort of potential revenue to kite makers - not a major profit spinner but something at least. Use the templates and have a limited run made by a third party. Isn't outsourcing supposed to solve all our problems ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59 PM »

I'd always thought when one of these old school kites came up you guys were simply waxing nostalgic.
It's mostly nostalgia but there are kites no longer in production that really don't have a direct equivalent available today that offer the same sort of flight (and ownership) characteristics. If you want to fly in a particular way it may well be that you need that particular kite.
Very true. I have yet to find a kite today that flies precision like the prophecy.

So now I want to ask what made them high end?
If we're sticking to Prism then let's be quite clear - their early products pushed the standards of quality up throughout the industry. Their top-of-the-range stuff was very nice, very desirable.
They were also on the leading edge of innovation. Some of the best designed parts and techniques came out of prism.

What are the differences between what was then and what is now, aside from how they're divided between old school style and new.
Not everyone wants to fly at the cutting edge. Some people have found what they're looking for and just want more of that. I would point you towards Revolution but we're talking about kites here  Wink
  A very good example of "we're happy where we are"

I can't help think that these old designs that are no longer made offer some sort of potential revenue to kite makers - not a major profit spinner but something at least. Use the templates and have a limited run made by a third party. Isn't outsourcing supposed to solve all our problems ?

Mike.
I've had similar thoughts with regards to the older designs.  I doubt it will ever work out though and I can only think of one company Mark might trust to build the sails.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:01 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Tmadz

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:17 AM »

I would love to have an elixir or prophecy if they made them again. (not an ad for the wanteds. Just daydreaming)
cerfvoliste

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14 PM »

You still might be able to pick up a custom (current models) at the Berkeley Kite Festival.
CV

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum