GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 09:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism custom  (Read 1946 times)
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24 PM »

You still might be able to pick up a custom (current models) at the Berkeley Kite Festival.
CV
Yeppers, Q Pro's, E3's and Microns. Lips sealed
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 04:26 PM »

I would love to have an elixir or prophecy if they made them again. (not an ad for the wanteds. Just daydreaming)
Having done a few sail restorations on these and making what I need to be able to replace full panels, it wouldn't be a stretch for me to make a full kite.  Mark's a good guy but I doubt he would let someone else build them and I wouldn't want to go that far without his permission anyway.
You still might be able to pick up a custom (current models) at the Berkeley Kite Festival.
CV
Yeppers, Q Pro's, E3's and Microns. Lips sealed
No more q-pros unless the come on the swap.  Tom sold out of those but the E3 , microns and 4D's he probably still has in stock.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 09:27 PM »

If we're sticking to Prism then let's be quite clear - their early products pushed the standards of quality up throughout the industry. Their top-of-the-range stuff was very nice, very desirable.

Understood.

What are the differences between what was then and what is now, aside from how they're divided between old school style and new.
Not everyone wants to fly at the cutting edge. Some people have found what they're looking for and just want more of that. I would point you towards Revolution but we're talking about kites here  Wink

heh... too funny.

I do understand a bit of this. I first learned it from Allen, who explained ballet and precision. It was exactly what my imagination told me kite flying should be. ::sigh::  Now I want to learn axels. I would submit someone should make a kite that is all things to all people. (never heard that before)

I can't help think that these old designs that are no longer made offer some sort of potential revenue to kite makers - not a major profit spinner but something at least. Use the templates and have a limited run made by a third party. Isn't outsourcing supposed to solve all our problems ?

Maybe not a major profit spinner, but a really good community-thing.

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 04:38 PM »

If you want to fly in a particular way it may well be that you need that particular kite.

Very true. I have yet to find a kite today that flies precision like the prophecy.

Not to say there aren't kites that are better for precision. The Proph is not a very good kite for Precision, as in the competition event.

But it's certainly true that nothing flies like a Proph in general. It's a wonderfully strange kite. I fly one more than anybody I know.

There seems to be an impression that the only way to get an Elixir or Proph would be for Prism (or someone) to start making them again. That's nuts.

There are thousands of these kites out there not being flown. There have been at least half a dozen Prophs for sale here in the last six months. I haven't paid attention to Elixirs recently, but I got one easily enough a couple of years ago. Way more of them were made than Prophs.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum