GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 06:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite Festival Advice  (Read 1702 times)
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: June 07, 2012, 05:44 PM »

I'm seeking advice on organizing a kite festival. Anyone that has experience and would be willing to share it, please PM or email me. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Plan it for the time of year that has the most/best wind.

NABX is a good example of this.

Good luck.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Drop beatrix an email.....she took over one of the largest wildwood.....look in the events part of the forum to see who is promoting the festivals out there.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Can you be any more specific, narrow down what you are looking for or give some kind of background for the question?

Having a core group of people is almost a must. You need to have a place where a large gathering of people can have a festival. This usually requires permits, especially on public property. You usually need to having insurance to cover the property owner, which is where the AKA come in handy. How are you going to pay for expenses? Getting sponsors is good. Having a sound system is almost a must. If you have a sound system you can announce the sponsors every so often. If the sponsors have banners, they could put them up. If you print anything, the sponsors names can go on those items. Figure out how you will reward the sponsors first and then seek sponsorship. This way they know what they are getting for their money. Get the word out. Post the event on several forums. This is where your core group of fliers comes in. They can help spread the word and you can count on them being present at the event to fly kites. Contact the media and given them information on the event so that can make announcements.

You can also piggy back an kite event on another, already existing, event. This makes things much easier.

I could go on and on and on but if you have a more specific question it would be easier to answer.

The AKA website also has a little bit of info on this.

Edit: Or you could just get John Chilese to attend. That way everyone would want to be there.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:43 PM by tcope » Logged

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:21 PM »

You can also piggy back an kite event on another, already existing, event. This makes things much easier.

[/quote]
+1 This is working pretty well for the Color the Skies event in Ripon CA. and I know Kevin Bayless' event has really taken off.
Good luck,
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
kiteking

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:59 PM »

Southern Oregon Kite Festival is in its 20th year

last years program is available, lists sponsors, vendors, fliers.. 9months of planing .. 2days of kiting

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

mikenchico
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 12:34 AM »

It would help to have some more info on what type of festival you are considering. A community family day like Chico is pretty simple if you're just trying to help your dollar store get rid of all those kites I saw in there. Something like WSIKF takes hundreds of volunteers and a year or more to put together.

A community event can be as simple as you want, like Chico's, no planned events. Just a couple sponsors, a radio station is perfect for the free advertising and the sound system, and the City, County or Recreation District to sponsor the park & insuraunce. If you can get some of the local teachers to volunteer to run a kitemaking workshop the kids & families really enjoy that, we build thousands in San Fran every year. That will require a small investment in a bamboo shade, crochet thead, tape, surveyors tape (for tails) and a hole punch. You find a copy shop to donate the paper & printing, of course they get to put their logo on the kites for advertising so it's a write off - there are many plans and the one I designed doesn't require the bamboo, but does require some simple cutting (somebody with a fine tooth band saw can cut a ream at a time), then just fold, tape & tie. Always fun to have some crayons so the kids can add their own artwork if the event is small enough to allow that.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Wakeless Kites

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 03:51 AM »

Antelope Island is in our 4th year, there are many things that make an event work and many things that can work against it as well. Try to schedule your event around whats going on in your regional area, as stated by several others knowing what type of event you want to have will dictate the direction you need to go.
RonG
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29 AM »

Have a schedule and stick to it. Better to include fewer things in your event and have them happen when and how you say they will, than to overreach and end up on "Kite Time". Kite Time has probably lost more potential spectators and participants at kite events than anything else under the organizer's control.

Find a good, engaging announcer and make sure they're well-armed with details about the day's events, information on the AKA and any local kite clubs, and a selection of music that will appeal to the under-20's but won't send the older folks running for the parking lot.

Avoid dead air at all costs (both in the sky and on the mike).
indigo_wolf

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:24 AM »

You might want to give the following AKA publication a read:

Kite Event Organizer Manual - How to organize and manage different types of kite festivals and competitions.

ATB,
Sam
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36 PM »

You find a copy shop to donate the paper & printing, of course they get to put their logo on the kites for advertising so it's a write off - there are many plans and the one I designed doesn't require the bamboo, but does require some simple cutting (somebody with a fine tooth band saw can cut a ream at a time).......

Just an FYI:  not sure how many reams you'd need cut, nor how many cuts you'd need, but regular (real) print shops and places like Kinko's can cut a ream at a time also, for about $1 per cut. Too, if you are already getting them to donate paper & printing, maybe they'd throw in the cutting.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
DWayne

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.
The Kite Event Organizer Manual is super.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 12:38 PM »

I try to have a kite festival every week. Sunday morning fly at Cedar Beach. Just hasn't caught on yet...

Out of a few million people around here, you'd think that there would be a few interested in kites, but most don't even notice them. Zombies.  8(

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography