GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats Your Favorite Fly Line?  (Read 3108 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 17, 2009, 07:45 AM »

I'm sure this has been asked before but I thought I would trough it out there.
When I first started flying I used Blue Line, I thought it was pretty good, then I bought some Shanti Bulk line and made some of my own line sets.
I found the Blue line was kinda sticky and the Shanti very slick. I primarily use the Shanti Line now. Never have tried Laser Pro Gold, any one have any comments on the Laser Pro?

John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13 AM »

I fly laser pro gold, almost exclusively. I have to make a disclaimer that our team is sponsored by laser pro, but we flew it before we were sponsored and asked for a sponsorship since we already used it and loved it. Great stuff, very little stretch and I have some lines that have been majorly used and are still in decent shape.

See ya,
Bill Rogers
team 6th Sense
kiten00b
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:23 AM »

I used to fly Berry Blue, the 75# x 75' was the perfect weight & length for dual line tricks, but the last year I've switched to Laser Pro Gold. It took a while to get used to LPG's stiffness... it felt hard and wirey compared to lines with a softer hand, but it has a lot less wind drag and stretch That's an important factor when you fly 100' and longer lines.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:46 AM »

I have LPG and Shanti Speed for my dual and quad lines. I'm interested to see how the new Prism LP Modulus line will compare.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:47 AM by MtnFlyer » Logged

Bob
DaveH
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 10:41 AM »

I just got some new sets of LPG.  They seem a bit less slippery than my Shanti Speed Line sets. Not that they're like locking up or anything, just noticed a bit less of a smooth feel with a bunch of twists in the line than the Shanti.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:09 AM »

I like the Laser Pro line, the thinness and stiffness, but they do zip when wrapped from the rough texture.

A drawback I was thinking about just the other day is I haven't been using leaders and I've cut the lower spreader APA's on two kites while flying with LPG, again because of the thinness, stiffness and rough texture. I know 'Learn how to fly Dude and you won't do that sh...' <insert old dog ciche here>  Embarrassed

I haven't done that with Shanti lines. No experience with Berry Blue or the new Prism linesets, but they do look nice.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:18 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Will Sturdy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27 AM »

A drawback I was thinking about just the other day is I haven't been using leaders and I've cut the lower spreader APA's on two kites while flying with LPG, again because of the thinness, stiffness and rough texture. I know 'Learn how to fly Dude and you won't do that sh...' <insert old dog ciche here>  Embarrassed

I have destroyed a few standoff connectors flying with shanti. You must not be trying hard enough  Wink

I used LPG for a bit, I really did not like it. It just felt weird and did not seem as slippery as shanti. I have been using shanti for a while now, so far I have no complaints.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:29 PM »

I prefer Shanti  to LPG. Shanti seems to me to be a lot slicker. After a few wraps the LPG starts to squeak and I feel a noticeable drag. 

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
imarche
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 01:39 AM »

As a recreational flyer, I 've been using Shanti Speed. Economically available in 1000ft rolls, good balance of cost vs performance. Sort of like the in-between between LPG and Blue Line.  I fly mostly on sand so line wear and replacement is a consideration.

For even lower cost, been using Blue Berry for quads.

KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 06:36 PM »

Climax PROTEC!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 07:54 PM »

Shanti Speed Line no contest.
kevin
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 08:20 PM »

Shanti Speed Line no contest.

Yup.
kairusan

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 10:31 PM »

Shanti all the way. I got some LPG with my first Rev and was astonished by how thin the line was. But I've built all my subsequent Rev linesets out of Shanti, and whereas it's very slightly bulkier, it's vastly, vastly more slippery than equivalent LPG lines.

With the LPG set, I could only get 3-4 twists into the line before I'd start getting mushy control and all kinds of noise. With my Shanti linesets, I can get more than double the number of twists, 10-12, before any loss of control or noise.

The only problem is, the bigger Shanti sets (200lb and above) tend to pick up a lot of foreign matter, like weeds and twigs and such. Not a big problem with Revs, because they only use up to 150lb line---I've flown plenty of times in fields with tall weeds without problems. But I have a 200lb Shanti dual set that I use with my Spinoff, and it just loves to pick up grass blades and whatever else. I doubt LPG has this kind of problem because the braiding is so incredibly tight.  Cool
JeffD

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 03:42 AM »

Hate the LPG noise. Prefer shanti.

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31 AM »

lpg had too much of a dental floss feel to it for my liking
I much perfer the shanti, although the kite pusher is out of it Cry Shocked
I would alos like to see what prism's new line will be like, i didnt think much of the lines i have gotten from them in the past and of all the  lines i have the prism seems to break first Sad

Sine Metu!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document