GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help-Skynasaur circa 1985  (Read 2148 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 03:34 AM »

I'm sure if you ask Steve he can tell you if he would fix it and what it would cost for him to do a "tune up" and replace whats needed.  Might even be easier for him to match it all up if you were to ship the kite to him for repair.

Now if your really wanting to give it another home and no one here wants to by it you might get ahold of these people  http://www.drachen.org/ and see if they would like it for their collection.  IT may not be a big historical kite but its still a part of kite history.  I had a lot of fun with skynasaurs untill I got ahold of my first prism and they are still fun kites to fly.
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:26 AM »

I just wanted to follow-up and report that, after a couple of PMs to confirm measurements, Steve (GWTW Kites) agreed to make me a custom lower spreader (.22" pultruded carbon tubes, new connectors, etc.) for the Skynasaur Trooper and, for a very reasonable $22, it is now done and on its way to me. If all goes well, I may be flying it this weekend while I wait for my new custom WidowMaker (see http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=7646.0). 

I do have one more question for the experts (please don't hold me to that promise) based on a new uploaded picture, which I sent to Steve as well. Can you identify and explain what's happening at the kite's tail section? There are two lines (lower bridle legs?) that come from the spine, connect to the lower spreader, and are held in place by what I am calling "stoppers." I haven't seen any other stunt kites with this configuration and just wondered what you can tell me about it.

Thanks, Ken

Note: Edited 6/27/2012 to replace attachment with image link
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:11 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:03 PM »

umm..yeah...you are missing the center T......
the lower spreader should be going through a hard connector that will hold it against the spine...those short legs of the bridle will help to hold the lower spreaders into the center T...it is an old skool designed bridle....not a bad thing....just old skool.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ken Bour

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 01:57 PM »

umm..yeah...you are missing the center T......
the lower spreader should be going through a hard connector that will hold it against the spine...those short legs of the bridle will help to hold the lower spreaders into the center T...it is an old skool designed bridle....not a bad thing....just old skool.
SKB, are you certain about that? While I do see that configuration on other stunt kites, this one is not a "Tracer," but a "Trooper." I am pretty sure that there was never any T that intersected with the spine as you describe, which is what caused me to post my question.  In this case, there is just a line that comes from the spine with two "legs" that connect to the spreader around those stoppers. When the spreader is connected to the leading edges, those "legs" are more or less taut. Hmmm...

Ken

Ca Ike

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 02:03 PM »

SKB is right your missing the center T.  The trooper is just a cheaper version of the tracer so essentially they are the same kite.  That hole in the sail a bit up from the tail end is where the T is supposed to be.  ON closer look at the pic the T might be there just notpoking out of the hole where its supposed to be
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:22 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Ken Bour

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 03:05 PM »

My apologies to Thief and SKB and thanks to Ca Ike whose tip about a piece not "poking out of the hole" suggested to me that I unpack it and take a closer look. DOH-there it was hiding from me! Embarrassed It had been so long since we last flew the kite, with that piece tucked behind the sail cloth, I missed it completely. It's small wonder we cracked the bottom spreader with all the tension we put on it flying in high winds at the beach!

Another brilliant example of this forum's value...thanks muchissimo, guys! Kiss

I uploaded two images of the kite now properly assembled (hopefully Undecided).

Ken

Note: Edited 6/27/2012 to replace attachments with image links
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:11 PM by Ken Bour » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 03:12 PM »

My apologies to SKB and thanks to Ca Ike whose tip about a piece not "poking out of the hole" suggested to me that I unpack it and take a closer look. DOH-there it was hiding from me! Embarrassed It had been so long since we last flew the kite, with that piece tucked behind the sail cloth, I missed it completely. It's small wonder we cracked the bottom spreader with all the tension we put on it flying in high winds at the beach!

Another brilliant example of this forum's value...thanks muchissimo, guys! Kiss

I uploaded two images of the kite now properly assembled (hopefully Undecided).

Ken

ahhh...much better....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Nice kite.  HAve fun with it.
Ken Bour

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 04:28 PM »

For those of you who have flown Skynasaur kites (Tracers and/or Troopers) what minimum wind conditions should I be looking for...? I know that it will fly in brisk winds (assuming proper assembly), but how light can it go given a newbie's skills?

Also, are there any "tricks" that are out of bounds considering its design?

Thanks,

Ken

P.S. I just knew I would have more questions about this kite!  Grin

Ken Bour

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49 PM »

The new lower spreader arrived from Steve today and everything seems to have been measured/cut perfectly! Still, I have two issues/questions:

• In replacing the lower leading edge connectors (L and R), I had a devil of a time trying to tie that bridle knot around the connector with only a loop in the line. I took it off without having to cut anything, so I know it can be retied. Even with existing models to follow on the upper spreader, I still couldn't figure out the pattern. I guess I'm spatially challenged when it comes to reverse engineering knots! Embarrassed  Somehow, after fiddling with them for awhile, I lucked into a functional solution, but they are butt ugly. If someone has a simple instruction on how to do it properly, I would love to retie them neatly.
  • On the tail side of each connector, there is a vinyl piece (1/4") that I assume is supposed to be a stopper to keep the connector from slipping down the rod and bunching into the sail cloth. Unfortunately, those pieces had to come off so that I could install the replacement connectors. I found that, with a little twisting force, I could slide them off the rod. Once I put everything back in place, I noticed that those stoppers, if that's what they are, are quite loose and are certainly not going to prevent the connectors from sliding. Should they now be glued in place? Also, I gather that those pieces never slide up-only down?

Thanks again, Ken

Ca Ike

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 04:31 PM »

MOst of those bridles were simply larks headed onto the spars with the LE fitting in between the loops.  SO there would be half the larks head above the fitting, cross over the fitting on the pilot side and the other half below.  Use a good GEl type CA glue to reset the stops.
Ken Bour

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19 PM »

Ca Ike:

I wish I could say that I understood your knot instructions; but, sadly, it's all greek to me. On a positive note, I do appreciate the advice to fasten the stoppers with CA glue (Steve kindly advised me that it was, essentially, super glue). I'll take care of that tomorrow and, hopefully, before the weekend is over, I'll have an opportunity to fly the Skynasaur Trooper.

Ken

Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Mabey this will help.  These are pics of a katana I had.  Notice how the bridle is on both sides of the fitting?  THose are just larks head knots with the fitting in between the loops of the knot. Easiest way I found to redo those is to larks head the bridle to the spar loosely, pull one loop off without losing the twist, put the fitting on then replace the loop and slide the whole thing in place.  Its usually best to do it at the ferule end of the rod and you can slide the rod into the LLE through the cut out.  IF you changing to APA fittings the loops are usually big enough that you can just slide half the knot over the fitting when its in place.

Photo0248 by Ca Ike, on Flickr

Photo0247 by Ca Ike, on Flickr
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document