GWTW Forum
September 23, 2014, 09:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L'Atelier Transfer UL  (Read 1343 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 03, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Today we had a flying event at one of the beaches of Barcelona (kind of smallish but fun)

At some point three guys came with a L'Atelier Transfer UL each and started team flying. Boy were they good, but of course they practice weekly and have been flying for 5 years.

Now, what I wanted to comment was on the kites.
They fly amaaaaazing...   Huh

They have a large wing and a strong presence.
One of the things that amazed me was that while I was having trouble keeping my Talon UL up in the air due to the low wind, the Transfers were flying as if they would pick up even the smallest breath of wind they found and made good use of it.
Almost as if they had some internal hidden motor.
I really could not understand it. Despite their size and them looking much heavier than my Talon they were flying smooth and strong.

On the other hand I found their movements were very clean and crisp. Probably because the pilots were good, but it seemed to me that it was part of the characteristics of the kites themselves.
Unfortunately I have no video to show.

So I wanted to know the opinion of any of you that has flown or even owns one of these beauties.
Thanks!

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:18 PM »

The L'Atelier Transfer xtr UL are a surperb UL. As you say, they fly with a beautiful prescence in the sky and from my experience fly very nicely powered up in the lightest of breezes. They fly and trick very smoothly. Unfortunately I could not adjust my flying style enough to comete them (although I could comete other kites). They may look "heavy", but mine was not a heavy kite.

Saying that I enjoyed my UL and regret ever selling it (the gray one for whoever I sold it to!  :-).

cheers

Steve
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:26 PM »

I love the Transfer XTS. Though not uber trick machines, they simply ooze a certain elegance in the sky Smiley

-Darryl

[attachment deleted by admin]

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:33 PM »

The ones I saw yesterday were just like the top one Darryl.
Very nice and indeed elegant.

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 10:45 PM »

Other than a very difficult taz machine...my XTs does every trick I enjoy doing...without giving anything away for free.

Lots of kites do lazy rotations...few can do a two handed multi like a Transfer...fewer can Cynique like one.

And the there is a "presence" on the lines I have come to love.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:21 PM »

The ones I saw yesterday were just like the top one Darryl.
Very nice and indeed elegant.

N.

Time for another kite purchase.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
lasapcheong

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:59 AM »

Lots of kites do lazy rotations...few can do a two handed multi like a Transfer...fewer can Cynique like one.
obi

That is one of the very reasons why I have a certain affinity to the XTS. Though a lot of the newer school kites especially the European offerings have gradually grown to be more and more turtle biased, I find that the XTS although hits deep in the turtle, doesn't lock in with difficulty of exiting out of one. I'm still trying to master the 2 handed multi but once in a while when I get it really slow and low, its one of the most awesome looking things ever. I think very few people (even dual line trick guys) do appreciate a low and slow 2 handed multi lazy thats possible only on a few kites such as the XTS.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:38 AM »

I like the xt.r because it's great at rotational tricks. I thought the xt.s was a little too big for me. The xt.r is not a fast kite and the UL DOES have a nice low end. I did my first flic flack with the UL.

Bob D.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 08:28 AM »

The Xt.r and s are unusual in that they were designed to be comfortable in a turtle as opposed to being bridled and weighted to sit in a turtle.

And as Darryl and Bob pointed out they don't have a dead spot, so they go in and out of the nose away position easily.

The z is a little touchy, well a lot touchy. As is often but not always the case, this is mainly because the bridle is set quite heavy. With a bit of tuning this goes away. But then so do the washing machine roll ups as well.

Overall, it's a fairly balanced design, in any flavor, considering the turtle performance.

This is not to say that they aren't a bit quirky: they are.

Quirky is a plus in my book.

Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:39 AM »

I'm a big fan of the xt.r as well.  Great kite - definitely has a presence, as mentioned above. 

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Are these the same basic model as this Transfer from 2004?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:51 PM »

As I recall, wasn't the xt.r Unleaded (it's actual name) actually considered a "light" as opposed to a true UL?

Still kicking myself for selling my xt.r. Sad

Kareloh

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:04 AM »

I used to have 3 kites in the XTr range. The Unleaded, STD, and Variable Vented.
Randy's right, the UnLeaded was more of a light... not a true UL. But in a nice steady breeze it's very nice.
Probably the only XTr i regret selling. Learned a lot from flying those kites.

I absolutely adore that grey/bleu/slate colorway, which was a STD iirc. There was one in NL that changed hands quite often.
Transfer's still one of the best panel-designs in kiting history!

As Obi is coming back to NL soon, i'll probably fly the XTs's a bit more. Very nice kites as well.
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38 PM »

Well, you can call it light or UL or whatever you wish, but to me it is a real UL compared to my Talon UL. As I said, while I was having trouble keeping my Talon UL in the air these Transfers were sliding as if moving on smooth ice with a hidden fan tied to their backs!  Huh

I was really envious they could be doing so many things while I could only row, row & row...   Sad

N.

In my bag...
Kareloh

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 12:40 AM »

Then they probably were flying the larger XTs series.

As stated in anothor topic. Flying in lower wind requires a lot of practise and technique. Don't give up on your Talon UL just yet.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document