GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: widow maker  (Read 942 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 04, 2012, 02:33 AM »

hey guys
what are your thoughts of the widow maker,is it a great kite all round kite to have when you have stuff all inland crap wind and bumpy unruly winds ?
would i just go the for the standard model ?
i have a prism 4d kite at moment,how much difference in all will the widow make have over the small prism 4d ?
what length lines and weight should i go with for widow maker?
i hate living inland it sucks re little or no winds at all!!
thanks fellas
happy smooth winds
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35 AM »

Of the 14 kites I carry in my car, the Widow Maker comes out most frequently, especially when I'm flying an inland field. I like it way more then the new Solus (which I've only flown inland so far). The only other kite I have that came close to the Widow Maker was the Fearless vented light, but the WM is quite the bargain in comparison, you could almost buy the WM std. and WM UL for the price of the Fearless VL.
There is no comparison to flying the Widow Maker and the 4D. If you get the WM, you probably won't fly the 4D much anymore...

Grin

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:42 AM »

Rob pretty much said it all. There's no comparison with the 4D. I have the 3D and it's a toy compared to the WM. The WM standard has an amazing wind range. And if you want a kite that forgives sloppy or mis-timed inputs, the WM will forgive your mistakes. You can't go wrong with it. I'd say that if you have a budget, the WM would be the only kite you'd need for quite a long time. (Of course, I'd probably say the same about the Deep Space too.) In any case, it's a great kite.

Bob D.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31 AM »

+1 on the Widow maker.

Now the hard choice UL or STD.  Huh     You know your wind conditions best. 

The STD has a hugh wind range, but in very light winds The UL is golden. Maybe you should get  both. I did.  Grin 

I Started with the UL just added the STD.  Cool

Lines:
STD - 85' to 100' on 90# to 100# lines
UL - 75' to 85' on 50# lines
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:01 PM »

The widowmaker is an awesome kite, no doubt. I'll second everything the people above me have said. I like mine on 100 foot lines. 100lb for the UL and 175 for the standard. If you grab one, like the rest said, you probably wont be doing much flying on the 4d anymore.  I live inland as well and I always get the UL model before the standard. All of the skyburner ULs do have a great upper wind range, so if the lighter stuff does pick up, which happens alot, you'll be fine. I've flown my WMUL in 15mph with little trouble. Good luck!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:39 AM »

I agree with almost everything above. If my Widowmaker isn't the first kite out of the bag it is Always the second, and even more telling it is Always the Last to be put back in.

I only fly the standards, I'm sure an UL would extend my air time at the low range but ... I'm pretty heavy handed. I can finesse a kite, I've cascaded a Micron, but I prefer to hammer them so I love the Nitro spars. Not that you have to fly them that way they are as comfortable doing slow & floaty or hard and aggressive and I enjoy mixing the two up as the song in my head changes pace. And thankfully for me they are forgiving as pointed out above.

Your 4D will still have it's uses but you'll be anxiously waiting for it to reach the top of it's fun wind range so you can grab your Widowmaker.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kite_pilot

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:19 AM »

hi guys
wow thanks for all the great replies and help,awsome!!!
sound like the widow maker is a real beast that fly's any where any time!!
i like the sound of that!!
sick of waiting for the wind to blow,lol
thinking of a black/orange color combination widow maker should look pretty cool color.
cheers guys
thanks Wink
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:45 PM »

I'll be posting a video of my new Widow Maker Ul.  I also got a new Widow Maker Std.  I also have another matching set in Blue and Dk. Gray.  I love the way the new one's look in the air.  Blue sky and forget it ...... nothing matches the colors of the blue one.

In the video is a clip from 3-23-12 .. We had a heat wave in Michigan in March. 86 degree's.  Last year ice on the lake.

The clip is very low wind.  1-3 mph.  I am flying my Ocius Sul.  When the wind completely quit I went to my INAK ...

WIND PROBLEMS CAN GO AWAY....   Going to buy another set of Widow Makers one day .... ( I like the diversity of color change).

Do I like Widow Makers HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhRoll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:48 AM »

+1 on the Widow Maker.  Awesome kite and I can agree with nearly everything everyone else has commented on.  Usually the first to come out and the last to go back in. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography