GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 01:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking my first freestyle kite  (Read 2967 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 03:09 PM »

I'd +1 on a Freestylist but the UL was priced at more like $190-200 since it is framed in 3PT's rather then P200's and uses Icarex rather then Nylon.

The Nighthawk, another Jon Trennopohl of Skyburner design but made by Premier in China is rated 3-20 mph so it goes pretty low and it has that higher range you wanted for those windier beach days. But it is a smaller kite at only a 76" wingspan and will react pretty quick. Top notch build quality for an import though, and a pretty capable kite that comes with a lineset (heavier then needed as is always true in a RTF package) for $130-140. It's worth looking at unless you have your heart set on a full size kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Red Sweater ... if you are as confused as I am maybe you should send me your phone number so I can call you and answer a few of your questions

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
red sweater

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 03:51 PM »

Red Sweater ... if you are as confused as I am maybe you should send me your phone number so I can call you and answer a few of your questions

Thanks for the chat.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 04:19 PM »

Smiley

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 06:08 PM »

Steve will not steer you wrong but ive' gotta put a pitch in for the exile. a little fast when the wind hits 8 but manageable to 15 with nitros. it is best as a light standard and flies better than most ul's in the light stuff.At the stage you are in it will stall.side slide and do the flat stuff REALLY NICE.they come up for sale fairly often. I do not keep kites i do not fly regularly ,except the exile. they are just a joy to fly. Whatever you buy I hope you have a really great time with it
regards Kurt                                                                                   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:11 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
red sweater

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 06:16 PM »

I guess to curb future comments, I should say that I went with the bargain Steve was offerring: FW Silver Fox 2.3 UL Pro. He was able to get me the kite and a line set under budget, and well under retail cost. We had a nice discussion about expectations, wind ranges, and the like.

Now if only my Paypal address had been up to date... Embarrassed Hadn't ordered a physical object using it in a while, I guess.

My bag:
Rev EXP
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Ahhhh, the eternal discussion about the next pitchy UL to save the world.  Cool
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:26 PM »

I went with the bargain Steve was offerring: FW Silver Fox 2.3 UL Pro. He was able to get me the kite and a line set under

Let the tricks start.  Grin

Hope you have a good time building up your trick repertoire .  Smiley

Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51 AM »

can't go wrong with that! Have fun with the kite.
martijn
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 04:32 AM »

and i LIKE the looks of the Fox too

i think you have made a great choice, have lot's of fun with your new kite Smiley
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 06:23 AM »

Hi red sweater, i was due to be in the Hyattville, New Carollton area this week  to visit a friend and thought i would of gotten in touch with you , so we can fly , but the trip was postponed to a later time . Will let you know when i will be in your area, if it is okay with you.      Tempest.
red sweater

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 06:32 AM »

Hi red sweater, i was due to be in the Hyattville, New Carollton area this week  to visit a friend and thought i would of gotten in touch with you , so we can fly , but the trip was postponed to a later time . Will let you know when i will be in your area, if it is okay with you.      Tempest.

Yes, that's definitely okay. The worst that could happen is that I couldn't make it. Smiley

My bag:
Rev EXP
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29 AM »

Great. I will let you know when i will be down. What are the winds like, as i am thinking what kite to bring with me.
red sweater

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 05:40 AM »

They tend to be on the lighter side and variable. That said, the last time I went to DC and flew at the Washington Monument, they were rather stiff.

I don't know that area too well. There should be some open spaces in College Park, just up the road, though. But the monument is probably one of the best places to go inside the beltway. I don't know where you had in mind.

I'm still trying to find a decent spot (and the time) up where I live. Still figuring the area out.

My bag:
Rev EXP
Ken Bour

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 05:56 AM »

It would be great to fly some of these before picking. I'm in Columbia, MD, between Baltimore and DC (closer to Baltimore, but I know the DC area better, having grown up further south). I don't know any kiters in the area, and I don't see a lot of activity on the 3 groups I've found via web searches. Anyone in here close?

I live in Northern VA, maybe 1.5 hrs from your location, but I am still a novice and in the very early stages of my own learning curve. I am also kiteless at the moment. I broke my only vintage stunt kite at the beach last week am in the process of ordering a new custom Skyburner "Widow Maker," which won't arrive for a couple of weeks.

I also want to point out that there is a metropolitan kite club called "Wings Over Washington." Check out https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wings-Over-Washington-Kite-Club/131339076934887?ref=ts and they also have a dated website at http://www.wowkiteclub.com/. According to their calendar, they meet on the Washington Monument grounds the first Sunday of each month. I actually went down there on June 3rd to check it out. Indeed, there were at least 1/2 dozen club members flying mostly quads, but one gentleman was flying a dual-line kite and was doing all sorts of neat tricks. I introduced myself and talked with Richard at some length while he flew his favorite French-made delta (can't remember the name, but it's out of business anyway). I found him to be very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He even let me try his kite while giving me some flying pointers. He has been competing since 2002, has won a few national events, and also does some training/mentoring. This club seems like it could be an excellent resource if it's not too far to travel once a month.

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document