GWTW Forum
December 29, 2014, 05:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking my first freestyle kite  (Read 3627 times)
red sweater
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 06:06 AM »

It would be great to fly some of these before picking. I'm in Columbia, MD, between Baltimore and DC (closer to Baltimore, but I know the DC area better, having grown up further south). I don't know any kiters in the area, and I don't see a lot of activity on the 3 groups I've found via web searches. Anyone in here close?

I live in Northern VA, maybe 1.5 hrs from your location, but I am still a novice and in the very early stages of my own learning curve. I am also kiteless at the moment. I broke my only vintage stunt kite at the beach last week am in the process of ordering a new custom Skyburner "Widow Maker," which won't arrive for a couple of weeks.

I also want to point out that there is a metropolitan kite club called "Wings Over Washington." Check out https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wings-Over-Washington-Kite-Club/131339076934887?ref=ts and they also have a dated website at http://www.wowkiteclub.com/. According to their calendar, they meet on the Washington Monument grounds the first Sunday of each month. I actually went down there on June 3rd to check it out. Indeed, there were at least 1/2 dozen club members flying mostly quads, but one gentleman was flying a dual-line kite and was doing all sorts of neat tricks. I introduced myself and talked with Richard at some length while he flew his favorite French-made delta (can't remember the name, but it's out of business anyway). I found him to be very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. He even let me try his kite while giving me some flying pointers. He has been competing since 2002, has won a few national events, and also does some training/mentoring. This club seems like it could be an excellent resource if it's not too far to travel once a month.

Ken

Thanks, that's very helpful. I did find their (dated) website before. That's what I meant by "not a lot of activity," but I guess I missed the note about regular meet ups. It's a shame that Sunday's are tough for me. It sounds like a great opportunity. I might have to try going, I just wish I knew what time. Afternoons are no-go this year. I'll have to contact them.

Thanks again.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 07:28 AM »

They tend to be on the lighter side and variable. That said, the last time I went to DC and flew at the Washington Monument, they were rather stiff.

I don't know that area too well. There should be some open spaces in College Park, just up the road, though. But the monument is probably one of the best places to go inside the beltway. I don't know where you had in mind.

I'm still trying to find a decent spot (and the time) up where I live. Still figuring the area out.

OK, I prefer light winds.  Maybe we could get together with KBour5 and have a fly.     
                                                                              smooth and gentle winds.    tempest.
Ken Bour

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56 AM »

[SNIP] It's a shame that Sunday's are tough for me. It sounds like a great opportunity. I might have to try going, I just wish I knew what time. Afternoons are no-go this year. I'll have to contact them. Thanks again.
I couldn't find any info on the meeting time either, so I decided to turn the destination into a motorcycle trip and, if there was no one there, no worries. When I asked Richard about the time, he said that some members get there early (circa 8 a.m.) and others drift in/out during the day. There were easily 1/2 dozen kites in the sky while I was there and the group showed no signs of petering out around 2:30 pm when I left. Although the wind conditions certainly vary from day to day, Richard said they were "OK" that particular Sunday. A bit of shifting and gusting, but he seemed to have enough to keep his stunt kite in the air permitting lots of tricks.

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 01:45 AM »

I learn my first freestyle move with prism zephyr... max wind near our flying field was only 5mph max... and gusty...
red sweater

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 09:28 AM »

Received the SF Pro UL this morning from Steve. Looks great! I'm hoping the winds are good this afternoon, so I can leave work early and give it a try before my weekend trip.

P.S. A couple questions, since this kite goes together quite differently from any other I have. How tight do I make the leech line? There's an overhand knot in the end, do I just pull it over the nock as far as that knot?

And the leading edge cord? Pull it as tight as I can, then put the end cap on? I think I've seen videos/pictures where people have tied that cord. Do I need to, and what type of knot? Or does the end cap keep it tight enough?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:07 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
Rev EXP
red sweater

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 02:21 PM »

Flew it today. I'm really liking it! To be fair, the Quantum I have is the best I'd flown before. But I can already tell that this is going to let me fly on days that I wouldn't otherwise.

I took it to a field near work...let's just say I won't be going back to that one. When I scoped it out earlier, I noted the ankle-deep weeds and grass, and knew I wouldn't be doing much ground tricks/ground recovery. Well, out in the middle, there are large sections that are knee-deep. Shocked I'm lucky I didn't lose an end cap or something.

But the kite handled the winds that gusted upwards of 10 mph (I kept it out of the window then, I didn't want to break it on my first flight!), and the lighter stuff too. I pulled off my first half axel. I must say, it looked picture-perfect, even if it was slow in the light wind. I then tried the other hand, and, well, must not have given enough slack after getting to the flare. I'll need to find another place to fly and get working on that.

I'm really excited to be flying at more places than just the beach!

My bag:
Rev EXP
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Congrats on your new kite!

Sine Metu!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum