GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Devil std -----> Fearless SUL - HELP  (Read 866 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 05, 2012, 11:52 PM »

Hi to all
I'm trying to fly again my Fearless SUL- I have it around one year and a half but SUL kites a little hard for tricking for me- so I'm trying again....   (I never try Fearless std.). Fearless SUL is pretty tricky- I watch so many top videos on Youtube- wonderfull design and ability for tricks,.......,  but I'm not so happy with my control with a kite......
I can do simple tricks on Fearless SUL but offen I mess tricks....

Even  cascade need extra attention- need different techniq-  I can do 2 or 3 cascade on Fearless SUL  and then I lost control during trick and go out from the cascade......
 With Sea Devil std. I can made cascade all day ....
Is that normal?

Simply question:
Will I be better flyer  with Sea Devil SUL  because I'm OK with SeaDevil std. ?

Or to stay on Fearless SUL and practice, and to practice on it.....................,  or to order Sea Devil SUL!
 I  would be very greatfull for advice.
Thanks a lot
all best
boris
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:59 AM by vigli » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:12 AM »

Try the reverse turbo bridle - I personally love both the 3 point and the turbo on the kite, but the turbo makes the SUL even closer to the standard in terms of tricking.  

I can do everything I can do on all versions of the kite mostly to the same degree, with the SUL usually even better since its all so much slower - the Taz and slot in particular are so easy on the SUL.

It will still be as turtle oriented (thank god) - thats a strong trait of the Fearless which differs from the SD, but I'm hooked!  If the kite won't do a riser, I really miss it!  Smiley

PM me for more details.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:15 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
vigli

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34 AM »

Hi
thx
My Fearless SUL has turbo bridle. Not sure is it reverse or not, but it is not 3 point bridle.
WHat it riser  trick?  Is it rising turtle?
thx
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:24 AM »

Trick flying on an SUL is very difficult. I've been working on it for years, and still I am not happy with my flying in light winds. When the wind is that light, I guess I should just be happy to be flying at all. At least that's what I tell myself, and fly some more.
If I had more time to spend flying, I'm sure I could figure out more tricks, but I've managed to do most of my tricks on the Fearless SUL, it's just a lot harder than flying a heavier kite in more wind. I would say that's true of any SUL that I've ever flown, and it's not that the Fearless is harder to fly than others.

asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:02 PM »

Vigli (Boris) as with all these threads there is so many variables. So here is my simple analysis: The main difference between a Fearless and a Sea Devil is that overall the Fearless is EASIER to trick. The main difference between a Transformer and a Fearless is that its QUICKER (being smaller) in tricking but the inputs or your synchoronization with the kite is the same. I actually busted my SUL Transformer in mid-air as I was tricking it SO QUICK and the adrenaline overtook the 2PT construction  Cry Cheesy. For the ultimate SUL go for the Tattoo  Cool. Its main limitation is that in the Jacobs Ladder you need to PULL into the Fade rather than POP into the Fade as with a Transformer or Fearless. It does incredible rising fades in pure beach off the water low winds. Everything about Lam's kites is small energy inputs being required - this is his signature being a small frame pilot - many videos I see even with so-called experts on other kites I see alot of wasted energy and arm movements - this maybe OK if you are young and want more control. With these small inputs the crisp movments of the kite takes alot of work and TIME from trick to trick - but as a Master Flyer once told me it usually takes a year to tune into a kite where you and it are ONE.
I flew a Transformer Vented Light in the East Coast Championships at Wildwood, New Jersey recently (2012) and it performed right on que ...

Asbury Park John (APJ)

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:25 PM »

There was a Beatnic standing on a corner in NYC when some Tourists came up to him and asked "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" The Beatnic replied, "Practice Man... Practice."
CV

vigli

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:49 AM »

Interesting......
from text above.....
ONE YEAR OF PRACTICE and  kite and pilot will be as ONE.
Very good said.
If we talk about very advance flyer he will pass to other kite very fast and accomodite tricks for other kite fast-maybe 1/2 hour. But I'm not advanced and changing kite can be frustating.
Yes, it is interesting changing  If You are master of tricks and if You can hit 10 Jak. Ledder one by one by one.........
It is really impotant to me to PREDICT  kite moves. If I can predict moves in trick then I have real control on the kite. There is so much stuff which Ican't do.....
It is good to pick kite which will like Your moves and You will have nice flying day....
I'm not to good with SUL. Need practice....
But with standard kite I'm other flyer.....
Much more confident....
 Smiley
thanks for all answers and help.
best
PS
Yesterday I was on the field with SD std. It was so much turbulent. Even in the turbulent wind SD's fade was here . Fade mashine :_)
Cascade- ??---yessssssssssssss Smiley
It like so much cascade-so simple on SD std.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:14 AM by vigli » Logged
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:03 AM »

Stay with one kite. Every time you change each kite has its own likes and dislikes - makes it more difficult. If you don't live near an open area like a sea or beach the SUL can be difficult  Cry. Steady uninterupted winds are CRITICAL for a rising fade - see my point.

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change