GWTW Forum
July 28, 2014, 07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kitting Magazines?  (Read 2496 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 17, 2009, 04:59 PM »

I can't seem to find any Kitting Magazines Sad, I think our sport needs some good media attention, so we could get a Monthly Magazine going, Articles on the latest kite designs, SLKs, Duel Line, Quad Line, Foils, how to articles, Interviews with top flyer's, Kite Builders, etc. I think there could be enough stuff for a monthly Publication! Or would this cause price to go way up?
If I only had more Time & Money to start something!

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
kiwi49er
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:02 PM »

You get a nice one as part of your AKA membership.

It could use some more contributors.

You can submit an article of your own too.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 06:04 PM by kiwi49er » Logged

Andrew
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:31 PM »

While the sport was growing from the mid 1980's through the mid 1990's we had two magazines here in the USA on national distribution, that is available on newsstands right alongside Time, Hot Rod, Womens Home Journal etc.

Sadly as the sport began shrinking they died off. You can download those old copies from one of GWTW Forum's generous sponsors Kitelife right on your right. And I would do that, great history and a lot of info still pertinent today.

The AKA magazine has become a very professional looking publication in the meantime (Kite Lines was originally an outgrowth of the AKA's quarterly publication expanded from a newsletter format to a true magazine so things have gone full circle) I've said before that the AKA should work on finding some way to finance getting theirs into every library, every school and onto some newsstands. We all should subscribe, but I haven't renewed in years so I won't preach.

There were some others out of Europe that survived longer, maybe some of our members can tell us if any are still around?

Exposure would only help the industry.

But REALLY how do you cover an event that is held by posting 1 minute video's on the You Tube?

I can just see Howard Cossel with a mic in his hand "Wait, over here at www//ytdotwherever John just pulled out his red, white & blue Widow Maker, last year he cleaned the field so we'll be watching this closely. But let's get back to www.... and see how Will is doing while John gets those lines tied on" Holding his mic up to his monitor "Will, after last years finals there was talk about you having had beer just before filming, IS there any truth to those rumors and have you gotten your drinking problems under control?" jeez....

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
King-J

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, Mike I did read some back ground on one of the Monthly Publications back then, but I think it was also the passing of her husband and no one else to carry on the publication.
Not looking at it as being a Televised sport event, just a Magazine similar to a couple of other Magazines I get from another Hobby of Mine, Metal Detecting (Lost Treasure), one small but nice publication, with a lot of info on, where to, how to and new products.
I am a AKA member and also visit Kite Life often, just would be nice to see something Monthly.
Thanks for listening to my gibber

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:59 PM »

Not to take away from the work John does with KiteLife.

Maybe some people that are good at writing should submit some event coverage articles to one of the magazine publishers and see it there is any interest.

Chris (SKQ) came from a publishing family so he had experience and equipment to assist him.

Years ago I published a quarterly newsletter for our local kite club and it was a huge undertaking, and we did not solicit advertising, I personally could not imagine the amount of resources and time a monthly publication would involve.

As for advertisers I believe all company's involved in the industry would line up to support.

But maybe members of this forum should / could critique the different events they attend.

Just some thoughts

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:11 AM »

Aye, you can find the ENTIRE collection of both SKQ and Kite Lines magazines on our site, in PDF format, totally free download...

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showcat=112

Unless you're a paid subscriber, there is a limit to the number of files you can download each day, but it is free and a few return visits will net you the whole collection for easy reference anytime. Wink

Also, our 10+ years of own online magazine... www.kitelife.com/magazine

Looking to tackle American Kite Magazine and Kite Tales sometime in the years to come as well... Just a matter of time and negotiation. Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
indigo_wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:47 AM »

I am a AKA member and also visit Kite Life often, just would be nice to see something Monthly.
Thanks for listening to my gibber

What exactly are you looking for?  Pretty pictures? Technical articles? Articles about festivals? Whimsy?

If you are on Facebook and a fan of the AKA Facebook Page, you'll have all kinds of articles, pictures, how-to's, etc. fed to your "Wall" Updates are done on an almost daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day.

My only complaint is that when more than "n" number of items are shared, they are collapsed under a link like "SHOW n SIMILAR POSTS" that most people don't notice or think to click and expand.

ATB,
Sam
DGomberg

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:51 PM »

Come check our weekly reports on events around the world.

http://www.gombergkites.com/update/index.shtml

David

oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 09:45 PM »

how about a kink to the facebook AKA page?

Thanks so much..

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
indigo_wolf

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:02 PM »

how about a kink to the facebook AKA page?

Oy..... next you'll want marmalade with your toast.  Shocked   Wink

Not sure how kinky it is  Huh, but....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Kitefliers-Association/101346847728

Smiley

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:11 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document