GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero G  (Read 2855 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 07, 2012, 04:00 AM »

I've had my zero G for a while now but held off on any kind of a review until I had some good time with it and the moon lit nights of calm the last couple days have been perfect.  The blue looks good backlit by the soft moon light.

Right out of the bag I noticed a few things during assembly.  First the fittings Mark designed are  really nice making assembly easy and overall build quality is great.  THe only issue I have is the ferrule  in the center T didn't stay glued very long.

Flying this is just like its counterpart the plutz.  Those of you that like the slow graceful gliding of kites like the horvath hybrid and long way home or laima will have a bit of a learning curve.  This will be very different.  GLide speed is fast comparatively and you have to have constant line control as well as move to keep line tension.  ITs not  a stand still and fly glider at all.

Adjustments are simple.  The slider for canard tension on the nose changes, not only how fast and long it glides, but how active it is.  !/16 inch adjustment has quite an effect and you can leave it set for long smooth glides or get it to turn quick and act more like a fighter kite.  ANother fine tuning adjustment you can make is the upper knot on the center canard line.IF you find yourself having to make large adjustments to the nose slider then slide the upper knot on this line closer to the lower one.  First few flights I found I was pulling a bit hard and this knot had slipped.  I also found the nose fitting has a habit of rotating a bit making the kite want to turn so I suggest using a small bit of glue to stop this.

The adjustments I like on mine is to slide the canard tensioner about 1/4 inch back and set the bridle about 1/4 inch from the forward knot for good glides, good climb and good turn control.  THe only flying tips I can give is first and foremost don't let it land at the end of a glide.  I have yet to find a way to relaunch it from this reliably.  WHen your pulling in from a glide, as you reach the top of your climb, a good pull and smooth release on the line will power it up for a nice long glide.  Last is don't pull straight back to turn at the end of a glide but to one side or the other depending on how you want it to turn or you will most likely get a nose dive.

IF you want a relaxing, lazy glider flight don't pull out the zero g. Its a fun glider but can be a workout to fly in 0 wind depending on how you set it up.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:32 AM »

What you are calling a "canard tensioner" has little to no effect on the canard. It flexes the keel changing the angle of attack on the rear wing. Less flex flattens the rear wing allowing the kite to glide. More flex causes the kite's nose to lift

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:42 AM »

anyone got some good detail shots of the ZeroG yet? Would live to see them.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 06:14 AM »

anyone got some good detail shots of the ZeroG yet? Would live to see them.....

I can take some this afternoon if nobody else has any to post.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 06:41 AM »

What you are calling a "canard tensioner" has little to no effect on the canard. It flexes the keel changing the angle of attack on the rear wing. Less flex flattens the rear wing allowing the kite to glide. More flex causes the kite's nose to lift

Denny
IT also changes the sweep of the canards some too so as the pitch of the canard changes it turns tighter and yes i forgot to put that in.  I was thinking more on how it affects flight not what it actually changes on the kite.  THanks Denny.  SHortening or lengthening the center line on the canard has more effect on the canard pitch angle as you pull on the line.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:16 AM »

5 shots start here

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2012Kites#5739584341953389266

4 detail shots start here

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/KTAI2012#5699897053951389554

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:49 PM »

I can look at your photos all day! Thanks John.  Smiley

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:37 PM »

I can look at your photos all day! Thanks John.  Smiley

+1
boomertype

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:21 PM »

First flight today, wow was it fun!
Beautiful in Seattle, 70 degrees, wind a steady 1 or 2 knots out of the north.  Low tide at Alki Beach, in West Seattle. Shocked
Long glide downwind and pulled her to the sky and the gliding begun.  Drew a bit of a crowd, one person felt sad it didn't stay in one place.  All I could say is "I meant to do that" as we climbed and glided and climbed and glided around the beach.  Super stable and very controlable/drivable, amazing first flight.  Kept her aloft for a half hour with ease.  Did get tired of the sun directly in my eyes at the top of my window, but a little slack and a little turn and we were off gliding to the left or the right of the wind, or even straight away.  I wanna do it again, now!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:06 PM by boomertype » Logged
gray
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53 PM »

My Zero G arrived today. I bought it hoping it would fly well in the lightest wind or maybe in zero wind. I was not disappointed. The kite is easy to put together and adjust. However, the ranges of the adjustments were pretty surprising to me. It goes from a floaty wide turning kite to something fast and tight turning. If you get this kite and feel it is not flying well, check the adjustments.

My first flight was outdoors with zero wind. I have flown indoor kites and I prefer this kite with a zero wind setup. (I’ll call it “floaty”) At first I wasted a lot of breath and energy trying to keep the kite in the air. After a short time I was flying much more efficiently. The kite makes beautiful, long glides.

A couple of things I’d like to point out. On grass, I was able to lay the kite on its back and launch the kite from 30 feet or more with a gentle steady pull. This allowed me to get the greatest amount of line out quickly.

Outdoors in zero wind, the line can snag on grass and weeds quite easily. This can be quite frustrating. You have to be mindful of the line at all times.

This is a pretty neat little kite.
stringfly
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Yes a very nice glider.  I flew mine at the restaurant parking lot in Joplin, MO at the Route 66 Kite Fly that evening.  (No tornados this year!!!!)  Different than my Emong and a bit heavier but wonderful in the air.

Stringfly <>++++
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 07:15 AM »

What is everyones "ideal" setup for these? with measurements please Smiley

Sine Metu!
boomertype

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:38 AM »

What is everyones "ideal" setup for these? with measurements please Smiley
Depends on conditions - every time out I need to tweak a bit. Outside on grass is different than sand and rocks at the beach. Inside different story altogether.
Ideal setup?  Depends as there is never one. Sunday evening outside on grass, the wind changed three or four times. Changed settings 3 times and wound up back at the factory.
There is no ideal - just changes.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 11:45 PM »

ear!!!!)  Different than my Emong and a bit heavier but wonderful in the air.

Is that a mistypo?  The Emong is lighter than the Zero? 

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RevJim
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 06:57 PM »

Another happy Zero G owner. It is a joy to fly in zero wind and even more fun with a little breeze. At one point it just floated up there. Beautiful kite. Now I can actually enjoy those 0-3 mph days! I used about 30 feet of line. It worked very well in a somewhat restricted area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change