GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 02:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL KITE cascade  (Read 1899 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 07, 2012, 08:06 AM »

hi!
Any advice for SUL kite cascade? I can do it with standard kite but I have problem with my hand work on SUL kite.
Thanks
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25 AM »

Any advice for SUL kite cascade? I can do it with standard kite but I have problem with my hand work on SUL kite.
  • Slow down. SULs rarely enjoy being rushed.
  • A Standard will use its own momentum to go through the trick, an SUL will glide through it.
  • Longer, slower movements and inputs. Forget the "pop".
  • If you need to, walk to the kite to keep it depowered but only if needed.

HTH

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38 AM »

What he said!  Smiley

One thing that seems obvious, but perhaps isn't is that this is all much easier in very little wind.   Once the wind picks up (and for many SULs it will not take much), the kite is easily over-powered making tricks that rely on 'float' or 'mass' much more difficult with a super light weight kite.

As an example, I enjoy flying my 4D, but only in less than 2 mph.

6 kite tom
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 01:03 PM »

The SUL may need more or less flare in the middle of the cascade than what you are used to doing on your standard kite. As mentioned above, use a slower pull rather than a pop so you don't jerk the kite out of the air.

In case you are doing one-pop cascades on the standard (that's the way I started), you'll most likely need to use the two-pop cascade method on the SUL in the lighter winds. The first "pop" brings the top wing down and rotates the nose away to somewhere near a flare position, second "pop" brings opposite wing up to top position with nose pointing in opposite direction from the start of the cascade.

PS: Once you figure out the cascade on the SUL, you can vary the flare in a larger range to rise, fall, or stay steady level. Also, you can make the first "pop" extra hard and hold the flare extra long in order to glide down wind and regain ground lost during previous tricks' footwork.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:13 PM by lylenc » Logged

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
vigli

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:12 PM »

Thanks a lot for inputs.
Need to try again, again....
With SUL I'm total bigginer in cascade.
 Roll Eyes  Huh
Momentum (inercia)  and weight on standard kite give so much help...

Did You have same problem...?
To trick kite in cascade easy with standard and to be bigginer in cascade with  SUL kite ?
Is that normal situation for kite flyer...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:23 PM by vigli » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:40 AM »

It's normal to have to make timing and technique adjustments between different kites or even the same kite in different versions. A beginner will certainly struggle more with this especially if they have experience with only one other kite like it sounds like you do. Your "Muscle Memory" is ingrained for your Sea Devil Standard. Take the above advise and work it out, nobody said the SDUL can't cascade so it's in there. Once you have it then you'll have learned to adapt that "Muscle Memory" to different kites and you've made another step forward.

I'll add you may need to take a step backwards, on my standards when I'm flying under their comfort range the second "Pop" finds slack line, rather then walking forward in the cascade I have to walk backwards. Experiment.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:49 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
vigli

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:57 AM »

yes...muscule memory...

I don't know how SD SUL would perform FORM ME but problem is in general my not so good SUL stile.
But I think SD SUL would be closer in finnesse to SD stand. then Ferless SUL.

SD stand.- How easy is cascade on it. Unbelivable....

I have to work on Fearless SUL cascade....
Interesting -Fearless SUL on Youtube perform cascade as a standard kite, only the name of the video telling me it is a SUL kite-It is just a little slower.

Wind is not so good these days here-turbulent, so I can't relax in smooth wind with SUL kite.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:59 AM by vigli » Logged
vigli

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:49 AM »

OK
I tryed cascade but I have question connect with still problem.
I start cascade with little bit more aggressive axle-with right hand.
I run in cascade but only two evoultions.
When I need to go in the third evolution with right hand there start my problem:
I hit kite with a right hand and kite start to rotate and stop in position with no way out to continue cascade:
It stop in vertical flare (right wing hi up and all kite in flare) Cry
Also I have a lot of trouble with wind, very low. Maybe little more wind would help a lot.
Any advice for SUL cascade...\thx
boris
PS
Also I notice second pop during cascade is very hard for me to use on SUL. With standard kite second pop is very important for me to contiue cascade but on SUL I can't use second pop. How much You use second pop during SUL cascade?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:05 PM by vigli » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:17 PM »

I always do 2 input cascades.  The 2nd input isn't a pop but a pull.  YOu need to pull the wing out of the flare to get nice smooth half axel sections.  The more pop you have in the 2nd input the faster the kite goes tail up.  If the kite is over flaring after the first couple half axels then your hitting your inputs too hard or not giving enough off hand slack.
vigli

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 12:37 PM »

thanks Ca Ike
yes I know second pull is important . I know that from standard kite cascade. But for sul...second pull is different story -FOR ME offcourse.....
Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Just remember be it standard, ul, sul or vented its still a "pull".  Common mistake is to do a double pop input inbetween half axels when it should be a pop, pull, pop, pull.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Especially with ULs/SULs a third little pull to help the flatspin rotation go around can help a lot.

Starting from flight left to right my inputs are generally R L R L R L..... (bold for harder pop)
For most kites these inputs are approximately evenly spaced. Even if a two pop cascade is possible, using three pops makes things look better and gives the pilot more control.

YMMV, it's just another technique  Wink
vigli

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Will S
I didn't understand Your text very well:
Starting from flight left to right my inputs are generally R L R L R L..... (bold for harder pop)

If You starting from left to right then It should be ( I gess) :
 L R R L L R R L L R
BOLD in text pop
UNBOLD in text pull

I'm I correct or I'm wrong. Sorry not understand Your example. Can You please re-chek it again.
thanks
boris
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:33 PM by vigli » Logged
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 04:11 PM »

I may be using an extra setup pop at the start of the cascade.
So if I'm flying from the left edge of the window towards the right and I start a cascade, my first input would be a light setup pop/pull with the right and then a larger pop with the left

So with a bit more explanation:
R - setup pull on the low wing
L - large pop to get the kite rotating
R  - slight pull after the nose passes dead away to help the kite around
L - low wing setup pull
R - large pop to start the rotation
L - pull to help the kite around
etc...
Ken Bour

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Will S
If You starting from left to right then It should be ( I gess) :
 L R R L L R R L L R
BOLD in text pop
UNBOLD in text pull

Damn! There's hope for me yet! I've been a jazz drummer for 50 years. If we can code all these kite "tricks" as rudiments, I might be able to handle it! This one's in 5/4 with unusual accents and sticking, but I can at least understand it! Tongue

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum