GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New WidowMaker Ordered!  (Read 1510 times)
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 07, 2012, 11:13 AM »

I just finalized a custom color pattern using Skyburner's designer app (see image). During the painstaking trial and error period, I researched this forum and reviewed several previous threads in which members asked for help on kite coloring. The comments were very helpful to me in narrowing down an otherwise dizzying number of combinations (e.g., shoot for high contrast, stay away from blues). I ended up sending several competing ideas to Marieanne at Skyburner who was gracious in providing expert advice along with her own preference which, as it happens, is the one I selected after a few spirited design sessions with my wife. I trust that the kite won't actually live up to its name... Wink

Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, I'll get a chance to see what she looks like airborne -- the kite, that is...

Opinions and comments welcome!

Ken

P.S. I am also indebted to this forum for helping me choose Skyburner's WidowMaker among a plethora of excellent alternatives.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:59 AM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Sharp!
It is going to look great in person!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Always happy when someone deviates from the RULE OF ONE!
     (Shades of grey and one primary color)

As you can see, I happen to like black/white/red/yellow:
     (even threw in a little Fl. Yellow on the eyes)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ken Bour

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Wow, does that kite stand out in the sky!  Huh

Thanks for sharing, chilese, I'm feeling even more optimistic!

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:30 PM »

Nice choice.  Post some pics when you get it Smiley
vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:31 AM »

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF SKY BURNER...  Cool Cool

It a very short time from now you will be asking yourself one question...

Why isn't the Widow Maker mentioned more when talking about good kites?
There may be a cost factor or lack of knowledge.  Sometimes I think it's a name thing when newbies come around.  Other kites less expensive are talked about a lot.  Widow Makers are not talked about as much as others.  Except in some rare occasions like this feed.

This kite you just bought WILL make you a better pilot.  Everyone who fly's it knows it.  There is not a trick it can't do.  It will help you.

Last year she taught me a lot.  So far this year I am pushing myself even further.  The kite helps.  I did my first flick flack the other day.  Kite helped.
I don't fly well and it takes me time to learn.

I am also bias cause Sky Burner is here in town.  I wish I could fly all the different kites I have had the opportunity to try.  Well over 25-30 kites.  But I am only now able to really understand what I am trying to do. 

I have watched Jon T build kites.  Cut and sew and frame.  He is truly a craftsman who knows what he built and how to fix it, if needed. He builds each bridle one order at a time.  Ties all the knots.

I have owned 5 so far.  Jon T sold me his Std. last year.  I re-sold it and bought a Blue and Gray set.  It looks great in blue sky,gray and white clouds.  I got a new set a couple weeks ago.  Yellow and gray and black and lite gray.  I will post photos soon.

I am already thinking of another color set.  I like change in the air.

Jon did a new thing to my bridle on the new set.  Really makes a big difference.  If you notice my video of low wind.  The Widow Maker Ul is my new one.  As I do a power 540 and dive to the ground, the bridle hangs lower.  He put extensions on the bridle about three long.  Heavier so it pulls the bridle out of the way.  Some of what i was doing. I know my lines would have tangled. ( because of the million times they have already ).

Need to fly about ten more hours to know for sure.

Also if you do "Pull Turns" vs. "Push Turns".  Your gonna love it.
She fly's either way with nice tracking.

Again looking forward to hearing your reaction.  Be ready to be Happy.

***  Fly it at every bridle change so you know the difference. >>>  Higher up high winds.  Lower for no lower winds.

Personal Thing ...

As a twice wounded Vet I have always believed in defending my country,saluting the flag and buying American. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:49 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:41 AM »

Very nice. I like more color. I think its great when these beautiful kites stand out from the sky.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39 AM »

... Why isn't the Widow Maker mentioned more when talking about good kites?

History, there were Flame Wars over a statement made by an enthusiastic young man. Like the Sky Sport Design fliers we all had to resort to using coded mentions of the kite or risk being humiliated. The kite was also called names and the graphics were ridiculed. That blows over after a couple years and we can now mention Lam & John's kites by name again, sadly two generations later.

This kite you just bought WILL make you a better pilot.  Everyone who fly's it knows it.  There is not a trick it can't do.  It will help you.

It's that "Forgiving" thing that is built into the kite. The kite gives a bit of latitude on inputs and still tries to give you back the trick it thinks you wanted. If the setup and entrance were wrong it may not be not the prettiest example though. There are two viable arguments for and against that ability. 1: Getting a trick that first time on a forgiving kite starts you on the road to perfecting the trick... or ... 2: A forgiving kite promotes sloppy flying. Either one is true depending on the pilot.

Personal Thing ...

... and buying American. 

Should be seeing more of that soon, Wall Street predictions are that they will soon get US wages below third world counties so manufacturing could move back here ... for export ... Sorry you were wounded   Sad   Angry

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:52 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Wow !!! Had no idea Mike.  I guess my observation wasn't that far off.   I like the way you explained the handling of the kite.  She does help when in trouble.  I am taking photos of my new girls tomorrow.  Touchy crowd to please.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
vertigo2u

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 12:49 PM »

The new girls are posted.  The darker one is the Std. They  fly like , they fly like a ... Heck... they fly like a Widow Maker.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change