GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 12:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relixir  (Read 4969 times)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02 AM »

I have a lix dated 2000.  I think they stopped in 2001 or there about. 

They were still being sold in 2006 by stores.  Pretty sure they quit making them at the same time the Elite line went away which was 2005.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 03:44 AM »

Rather than attempt to improve an existing kite design.........
Attempt to design an improved kite.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 03:48 AM »

Rather than attempt to improve an existing kite design.........
Attempt to design an improved kite.  Wink

Denny
Already working on a few ideas Tongue  Each project like this I do teaches me a bit more and one design leads to a few other ideas.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45 AM »

[/quote] Already working on a few ideas Tongue  Each project like this I do teaches me a bit more and one design leads to a few other ideas.
[/quote]

Could you post your sail designs when you get there? Intereseted to see where you think the elixir would evolve to.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 10:43 AM »

I seriously doubt Mark would care if someone made their own Elixir. 

That's not for anyone but Prism to decide. The property belongs to them. Full stop.

Aside from the legalities, if you think about it you'd be putting Mark between a rock and a hard place. The kiting community is a small one. Many consider him a friend and a good guy. If he protests someone doing this, he comes off the bad guy, a hard case, a jerk... whatever. If he grins'n bears it, which he almost has to do to keep the good will, it could come back to bite him in the butt at worst or just plain create hard feelings on his end.

"For your own use" pretty much takes the aforementioned copyrighted infringements out of it, IMO.

IANAL, but in the USA at least, I don't think so, except for some specific cases of "copying for personal use" like making copies of music recordings that you already own. More relevant is the question of whether the Relixir would be infringing any copyright in the first place.

I guess you can copy for your own use, but the minute you let someone else have a copy, then you've infringed. Heh.... had to look up "IANAL." I'm gonna claim that too.  Grin

Having said all of that:  it *would* be really fun for the OP to approach Mark with his idea and have him jump aboard (figuratively or otherwise) the project. You guys could set up some guidelines, PRISM could back the project up with support in various ways, they could have an article or three on their website, etc. Lots of possibilities.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 11:05 AM »

Having said all of that:  it *would* be really fun for the OP to approach Mark with his idea and have him jump aboard (figuratively or otherwise) the project. You guys could set up some guidelines, PRISM could back the project up with support in various ways, they could have an article or three on their website, etc. Lots of possibilities.

This is a fairly common practice in the blade world.  A good example is a knife called the Dauntless. 

One knife.... multiple designer's interpretations.  There are some basic guidelines for the design of the knife, but beyond that, designers add their own flavor.

http://dauntlessarchive.com/?portfolio=knives
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/the_dauntless

ATB,
Sam
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 11:15 AM »

I had a looksee through the PBase images and a tour through the Dauntless Archives. What a cool project-- thanks!

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 04:20 PM »

I seriously doubt Mark would care if someone made their own Elixir. 

That's not for anyone but Prism to decide. The property belongs to them. Full stop.

Aside from the legalities, if you think about it you'd be putting Mark between a rock and a hard place. The kiting community is a small one. Many consider him a friend and a good guy. If he protests someone doing this, he comes off the bad guy, a hard case, a jerk... whatever. If he grins'n bears it, which he almost has to do to keep the good will, it could come back to bite him in the butt at worst or just plain create hard feelings on his end.

You're taking this way too seriously. There's no way he's going to care. Some kiter remaking an old kite would be the least of his concerns.  Plus John was talking about changing the sail graphics, so no one is even going to recognize it as an Elixir.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 07:40 PM »

I took a shot at a graphic.

Really fast, but you get the idea.

I'm open to ridicule, but not impervious.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Nice looking design.

I hope Mark Reed like it (it has no mylar)
Kantaxel

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2012, 09:03 PM »

Too many right angles............now if they were arcing lines...........that would accentuate the dynamics of the Elixir, I mean Wink RElixir sail shape. Roll Eyes

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 02:13 AM »

Just in the spirit of widening the debate... are you aware of this:-

Help Kite builders protect their designs! Facebookę page

Maybe these people have an insight into what is being proposed ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Ca Ike

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 04:14 AM »

All the flac this idea has caused is the biggest reason I'm sticking to SLKs and haven't really bothered delving into duals except to learn from what others have already done.  You can take ANY dual out there and claim it is a copy.  There is virtually nothing in a dual line kites since at least 2001(maybe earlier) that hasn't been done already.  REally all you can do with a dual is to design it for specific flight performance. Whether it has straight  or curved edges, single or multiple standoffs, high or low aspect, weight or no weight or whatever "feature" you can think of it has all been done before by someone so every dualie is just a copy with a different panel layout.  At least with SLKs you still have a chance of coming up with something somewhat original and even that isn't easy. 
Kantaxel

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 04:50 AM »

Mike.

I didn't see Mark's name in the face book group......Like John said, Mark doesn't give a hoot if someone wants to copy his Elixir.

He isn't going to make another one anyway.  Anthony:  All this flac?  This is tame. You shoulda' seen it in the good ol' days.  Cool

kim

Ca Ike

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 05:22 AM »

Mike.

I didn't see Mark's name in the face book group......Like John said, Mark doesn't give a hoot if someone wants to copy his Elixir.

He isn't going to make another one anyway.  Anthony:  All this flac?  This is tame. You shoulda' seen it in the good ol' days.  Cool

kim

Is there a change you didn't tell us about Tongue 

I saw some of the "good old days" being a lurker for about a year or so before the site revamp and your right this is mild compared to then.  I've designed and built kites for myself for a long time and I can't even begin to tell you how many I came up with that had already been done. 

The only dual line I ever built was back in 85 after getting ahold of a gayla "stunt kite" that didn't work worth a damn.  Taking that kite, figuring out how to get it to somewhat work then figuring out a better wing design (taken from a GI Joe hang glider i had at the time) and working out a bridle from reading up on the  kites the wright bros. used i was pretty proud of myself only to fine out what I came up with was remarkably similar to the first prism I saw at my first real kite shop a couple years later and that was the radian but hey I was only 12 when I started that project, stunt kites were new to me and I thought I could do it better than what I had.  Just goes to show you even back then new ideas were hard to come up with.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document