GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 01:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Essence Plans  (Read 3520 times)
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 08, 2012, 06:24 AM »

The Essence was Pim Kusters’ first freestyle/tricks competition kite design. Very capable in the tricks department, nice feedback on the lines but without excessive pull and quite precise. After Dutchkites and (later) WindFactory stopped building the Essence there was some tweaking done by Essence fan Pierre Terbogt. He also made a SUL version of the kite based on the UL specs which is very trickable kite with very flat backspins, lazies and flatspins. Pim gave a few of us permissing to build Essence’s ourselves and a lot of (SUL) Essences were build. From now on it will be available as an open source plan. We’ll start with the Single color SUL version. The other versions with the original panel layout will follow after a while.

NB. This is no step by step explaination on how to build a trickkite. There are numerous websites and fora which explain this. A great resource is Tom’s step by step Le Quartz website.

LINK!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:11 AM »

I'm looking forward to building the SUL (and others when plans become available.  I like the patterned sail pictured at this link... hope it's available soon!)
Kareloh

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:46 PM »

Thanks! The Essence in the pic is my STD. That one was build by WindFactory. White and Slate. Heavily refurbished and tweaked to the the latest specs. Great kite.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:26 PM »

is the sail the same shape as the SUL? (with obviously different panel layout).  I may build a Std sail along with an SUL but make my own pattern. What frame is in your Std?
Kareloh

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:01 AM »

http://www.kareloh.com/?page_id=87

Sailshape might be a little different, but it was based on a Windfactory sail. I've build another STD based on these plans and that flies very good!

The specs are in the link, just scroll down to the Essence STD.
Looking forward to your builds!
positivo
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:26 AM »

From my knowledge, I can highly recommend the Essence SUL, it's the perfect low wind trick kite for those who can fly all the modern day tricks! I've seen the Essence SUL in the hands of several competition pilots and it never stops in amazing me by what is possible in the faintest of winds.
Kareloh

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 12:12 PM »

Added some close up pictures.

http://www.kareloh.com/?page_id=867
ozzymat

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 05:51 AM »

A few photos of an Essence sul I've just finished.

Framed with the recommended 2PT, 3PT, P100 and 4.5 carbon the roll bars have not been fitted as I am having trouble finding a supplier of 2 mm spiral wound glassfibre.

Experimented using Airx 500n for the sail as its a lighter fabric than Icarex PC31 the Airx shares a lot of properties with Icarex and produces a nice finish I guess only time will tell if it has the longevity of Icarex.

All up ready to fly without the roll bars it weighs in at 228 grams thats about 8 Ounces.

After a few hours flying in 4 to 6 knot wind I agree with Positivo comments if your looking at building an sul you wont be disappointed with an Essence. 

Thanks Pim for allowing the kite to be open source.

Mat

pierre

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:24 AM »

I always had 2mm carbon as rollbars on my Essence SUL (the mother of the plans)...
Works fine too and (i guess) not that difficult to get....
Kareloh

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:05 AM »

Nice Essence SUL Mat, very curious about the lighter sail.

I've added your picture to the builds page.
ozzymat

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26 PM »

The Essence in action at the hands of a novice.

http://youtu.be/Yp1lCS-7DrQ   

Over the last few months the Essence and I have done quite a bit of flying at my local beach which is hard sand and shell grit (very abrasive) and I am glad to say the Airx 500 is holding up well did snap a 2PT LLE spar just below the lower spreader APA trying a wind tip landing when the wind was up a bit.

Mat   

Kareloh

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:13 AM »

Some updates on the builds page:
http://www.kareloh.com/?page_id=914

Stephan Fiers' Essence SUL (Sail sewn by Fred Blok)

I'm also working on digital drawings based on Pim's original templates.
Watch this space.
Kareloh

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 06:12 AM »

Like us on FB:
http://www.facebook.com/EssenceFreestyleTrickKite
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13 AM »

The Essence in action at the hands of a novice.

http://youtu.be/Yp1lCS-7DrQ   

Over the last few months the Essence and I have done quite a bit of flying at my local beach which is hard sand and shell grit (very abrasive) and I am glad to say the Airx 500 is holding up well did snap a 2PT LLE spar just below the lower spreader APA trying a wind tip landing when the wind was up a bit.

Mat   

What I saw in that video I would not call a novice... :-)
very nice! Both the kite and the flying.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 03:16 AM »

All up ready to fly without the roll bars it weighs in at 228 grams thats about 8 Ounces.

Hmmmm... 228gr doesn't sound like a true SUL...
My Talon UL weighs 240gr so going down only 12gr doesn't sound like much...

Are you sure the specs correspond to an SUL?

Kareloh, do you confirm this weight?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:18 AM by Ara Ararauna » Logged

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document