GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 03:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy with Soul / Unhappy with FlyingWings (& broken standoffs supports) help...  (Read 2672 times)
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2012, 12:16 PM »

Hi,

I'm happy with my Soul. With how it flies and its control.

However I'm quite unhappy with FlyingWings. Angry
I have sent them two e-mails in the past months and both have been left unanswered...   Lips sealed

Now I have found out that one of the supports of the standoffs is broken (after only 5 months of flying) and the other three are just about to break.
I obviously don't see any point in e-mailing them given the attention they provide to their customers...   Angry

So apart from making my annoyance public, I wanted to ask:
1. Is it normal to have these supports being so weak and lasting for so little?
2. Do you recommend buying exact replacements for these supports or would you buy some other type?
3. Where do you recommend I get them from?

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:29 PM »

Just to clarify what I mean by the supports of the standoffs, I mean those plastic pieces that are "buttoned" or riveted to the trailing edge.

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:07 PM »

Weak stand-off clips are a known Flying Wings issue, unfortunately. Several of these were broken or about to break on my Silver Fox when I bought it. I'd hope they would have taken some action to remedy the problem ...

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:14 PM »

It is sad when a great design is diminished by inferior materials to save money.

I bought a New Tech Airplane SLK which lasted about 10 minutes of flight time

before a medium speed nose dive ended its life.  Cry

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:29 PM »

Weak stand-off clips are a known Flying Wings issue, unfortunately. Several of these were broken or about to break on my Silver Fox when I bought it. I'd hope they would have taken some action to remedy the problem ...

And what did you do Dromel?
What did you replace them with?
Has the solution give good results?

Thanks,

N.

In my bag...
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:42 PM »

This problem is not unique to Flying Wings.
Prism doesn't respond to customer service emails either.
I guess as long as the Mega Customers like REI aren't complaining, Prism doesn't care.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:50 PM »

And what did you do Dromel?
What did you replace them with?
Has the solution give good results?

The shop I bought the kite from sent me two full sets of clips as replacement, free of charge. They've held so far.

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:12 PM »

I like to use Jaco connectors for the ones I need to replace. It's not that big a deal, most sports equipment is going to wear & need to be maintained after being used for months. You just need to fly your other kites while you're waiting for replacement parts.  Also, buy a whole bunch of extra parts when you make your order, so you can make your repairs in the future without having to wait for the postman.

BTW... Prism might not answer emails, but they do answer the phone. Just sayin'...

Hadge

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I've just checked my Soul and it is fitted with Jaco's - I'm not sure if these are original as my kite was bought secondhand. If yours are the same then any good kite shop should stock them, they are pretty cheap.

I have to say that when i got my kite a couple of years ago I posted a question here for some information and within a couple of days Albert Chen from Flying Wings emailed me with the details, however things may have changed. Sadly most 'mass market' kite makers seem to lose interest once you have bought their kites.  The best after sales service still comes from the bespoke kite builders who depend on their reputation for their business - I once emailed Tim Benson with a minor question about an Outerspace I used to own on a Sunday afternoon.  I was expecting a reply sometime the following week - it wasn't anything urgent - but he replied at 8pm Sunday evening!!  now thats service!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 03:10 PM »

Both my silverfox 2.5 vented and my soul STD both showed up with broken stand off clips.
Its a horrible design if you ask me , that plastic part that wraps over the trailing edge is super
thin and cheap...on my 2.5 vented every single one was broken. I replaced them with jaco connectors and have had no problems since.

Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13 PM »

The shop I bought the kite from sent me two full sets of clips as replacement, free of charge. They've held so far.

My shop also replaced the broken clips on my silverfox 2.5 vented 

I had similar problems with contacting Prism through emails. This problem was also taken care of by my local kite shop. I'm gussing this is how kite vendors would prefer to offer support for their kites.

that plastic part that wraps over the trailing edge is super thin and cheap.

This connector is poorly designed, In addition it makes the kite difficult to roll up and put into the bag.

Thanks for the info on the jaco connectors, looks like a good solution.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I guess as long as the Mega Customers like REI aren't complaining, Prism doesn't care.

Denny
If its the "sail grabber" clips that fold around the TE and they broke at the hings its a common thing with those. For FW warrantee stuff they seem to respond better if its the kite shop dealing with them.  I had rods on my  wala xl break and couldn't get anywhere until Steve contacted them for me.

As for prism support they have always had issues with e-mail support forms and they seem to prefer phone to e-mail.  Everytime I've e-mailed its gone unresponded to but calling them always works out.  Brent and Sandy are great to deal with.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 09:23 PM »

So apart from making my annoyance public, I wanted to ask:
1. Is it normal to have these supports being so weak and lasting for so little?
2. Do you recommend buying exact replacements for these supports or would you buy some other type?
3. Where do you recommend I get them from?

Thanks,

N.

#1: Those clips break, plus I always figured they were a snag point ... which leads into question 2

#2: Replace them with a better type

#3: Get them right from GWTW / Chico Kites where you get your answers  and help support "The Forum"  Wink

Sail Standoff Connectors

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 10:56 PM »

Thanks a lot to all!
Here are some comments:

1. Hadge & Norm Pulliam. The connectors you show/mention were placed by the previous owners of your Souls. The original ones are those that are mentioned by some of you (Adamld13, Wayner, etc.) as "stand-off clips" or (CaIke) as ""sail grabber" clips that fold around the TE".
Awful!  Angry

2. Norm Pulliam. Unfortunately I cannot call 1-800 numbers from Europe. So this solution to contact Edward Chen is impossible for me. So no answer from FlyingWings yet.

3. mikenchico. If these "stand-off clips" are so awful, instead of buying some new ones myself I should get a replacement from warranty since they have barely lasted for 6 months. This is what one would expect from any manufacturer, right?
Unfortunately by now I have little hope of getting this, right?

4. What makes me also angry is that I already had to repair the lower spreader from an important breakage because the connecting ferrule was off-centred as I got it from factory.
Also, the sail of my brand new kite came with small stains in different parts (especially visible in the light grey areas). I could not say it was in a "mint condition" when I got it.
So I'm getting the impression that the manufacturing quality of FW is not too good, to say the least.
And the price is not the cheapest...

Question:
If I get myself some Jaco's do I have to glue the ring that goes on the other side of the sail? Or is it only held in place by pressure?

So, thanks to all again for all your comments and suggestions.
Although it is sad to see that the bad quality seems to be the norm in these kites...

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10 PM »

you should put a dab of gel type super glue after you install them, gel type because it won't "wick" and glue the whole thing to the sail. Finger nail polish is a good alternative. If they are tight enough in the hole you can get away without even using the o-ring, just snap them in.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:12 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum