GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy with Soul / Unhappy with FlyingWings (& broken standoffs supports) help...  (Read 2179 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 02:23 AM »

You have PM.  Wink

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:53 AM »

YOu can blame FW for poor CS but IMO if you had and have flown the kite for 6 months before they broke then its no longer just a warantee issue. it becomes a wear issue too.  THese standoff clips have been around for years and have always had the same issue, they break at the "hinge", but they are cheap and do the job.  Imo just buy some replacements and consider it a maintenance thing just like replacing yoyo stops or LE fittings when they break and save yourself some headache.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 04:54 AM »

Oh wow... you are expecting way too much of a kite. You expect parts support after months of flying ? Parts wear out and break all the time. A slipped ferule in a spreader ? Happens all the time, even to high end kites. Not just production kites. I've had a ferule slip in some of the best kites I've got. Some I found before the spreader broke, some not. If you had these problems fresh out of the bag, that's one thing, but to complain about it months down the road... a little unreasonable. No wonder no one can make a living in the kite industry.

BTW, don't glue the Jaco connectors, there's no need, they hold on just fine. Really, you don't even need the little O ring on the other side in most cases.

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38 AM »

OK guys (Ca Ike & RobB), I see your point.

However, I have not flown the kite so much and I have not given it any hard times.
So I thought it was pretty unreasonable to have such a ware on the supports. And concerning the ferrule, this happened on my 10th flight approx., not six months after buying.

On the other hand, my Talon UL has Jaco's and the Nexus has some of those that have a little screw. They both look really robust and I would bet my bottom dollar (Euro) that they will last for much, much longer.

So I don't deny having given a bit of wear to the ones on the Soul, but I don't accept having "el cheapo" material in a high end kite, even if it is an industrially built high end. The Nexus is also industrially built and has a nice robust finish.

And RobB I'm talking about 40cents stand-off supports (if so expensive), not about changing the frame material or the like. So I don't think FW would get ruined because of putting better stand-off supports.

Nonetheless, I'll take your point and get the new supports myself and get headaches out of my brain.
I think I will also get me a new set of lower spreaders and ferrule. I think that, although my repair has worked really well, it has added quite a few weight on the kite.

As an end comment, I think quality is not incompatible with making a living. In fact I think one goes along with the other.
As an example I'll probably not buy a FW kite ever again.
There are plenty others to choose from...

Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 08:40 AM »

I know that some shops would have replaced the fittings if it had been a about two weeks or less new...but beyond that it happens...

be glad that the pieces that are out now are MUCH better than what used to be available!   A couple of companies used fittings that would degrade on their own....no matter how many times you used the kites.....

FW makes some nice kites....and they use funky pieces and framing....I remember when it was nigh impossible to get a hold of a spare Dynamic rod and that was when the shop I ran was a very large customer of FW....

Plastic pieces - it does not matter what company made/used it...they all fail eventually...and the price of them is low....find the standoff connector that you like the most and buy a bag of them in the standoff rod size that you need.....

weigh the kite you want against your experience with the company......i have purchased a kite before even though i am not a fan of the company...and then planned on reframing the entire thing when the first piece broke....
but I do not completely agree with the "there are plenty others to choose from" statement!   The number of companies making kites, and the number of products that are coming out is going down.....we need to get new designs coming out of the factories sometime soon!!!!

(personally I would not trust the standoff connectors with a screw in them unless they are the nylon ones from the early 2000s and 90s.....they are too easy to over tighten and destroy....)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ara Ararauna

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51 AM »

Thanks Thief for the historical view.

I deeply respect the experience of all of you and your comments have constantly been extremely helpful and inspiring in all my posts.

So I would not like to have this post become a bitter one.

My lack of experience probably puts me in a position of asking for unrealistic things.
I therefore stop the post here and will look positively at repairing my Soul and keep flying it with pride and joy as I have been doing in the past months.

Thanks again to all of you.  Smiley
Cheers,

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Hadge

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 09:04 AM »

I have to agree with Thief on this ( except the screw in s/o fittings - the HQ ones are a really good piece of kit)

Your experience is probably not unusual for a mass produced kite, I hate to think how much carbon and fittings I bought when I started. FW are one of the best mass produced kites in terms of innovation, performance per $ and (for the most part) construction. The sails are beautifully stitched the fittings generally are good - APA - but then they skimp of a few cents worth of standoff fittings, it makes no sense.

They are not alone, often companies make strange decisions to cut costs.  I use to have an MZ motorcycle, one of the best bikes I've ever owned even though it was a budget machine. Brakes were by Brembo, electrics by Bosch real quality componants...even the inside of the switches were silver coated for better conductivity!.... but they made the bulb holders out of cheap nasty thin pressed steel so all the bulbs eventually vibrated out!! all for the sake of a few pennies on the production line.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06 AM »

i do not think that anything here is bitter.... it is a great thing for new people to read to help get an idea of some of the trials and tribulations of owning sport kties!

The hacker culture here in the states says that you do not "own" something until you have completely taken it apart and put it back together again...I am a firm believer in this in teh kite world.....i think that everyone should take their kites apart at some time (hopefully carefully and on purpose) and build them again....you find the spots where there might be wear or weak spots that you were not aware of....a good thing!!!

I am also a believer that you are not flying it until you break some part of it.....push the limits...these things are pretty easy to fix for the most part!

go fly!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 09:14 AM »

Choppin' & swappin' are all part of the fun!!  Grin Grin  trying different things and see what works.  I doubt if HQ would recognise my Jive 2 now! - Skyshark P300/ Black Diamond Nitro frame, new bridle, extra standoffs plus other things..it flies much better for it!

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Thanks!   Smiley

N.

In my bag...
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Unfortunately the sail grabber clips from Flying Wings are garbage.  They all break, we have many of them that are broken in the bag when we receive the kites directly from Flying Wings.  I have mentioned this to Flying Wings myself and they said they will be looking into it - and they even sent me a bunch of replacement clips free - but as of today they are still using the same inferior clips. 

Any clips that are broken on our kites get automatically replaced with either Jaco fittings (as shown above) or the Screw In style fittings.

It is a shame that Flying Wings takes the time to produce a fantastic high performance kite like the Silver Fox and the Soul, but then decides to use a garbage clip on the stand off's that has proven to be defective.

On the positive side, you can purchase the Jaco or screw-style stand off sail grabbers from just about any higher end kite shop and they are very inexpensive and only take about 2-3 minutes to completely replace.  Once replaced, you will no longer have any issues with them.

Hopefully Flying Wings will fix this problem in the future.

Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13 PM »

Its just a design flaw in the fittings themselves and in FWs defense they don't even make them.  Some makers do look at that stuff though.  PRism used them for a long time and stopped because of the breakage issue. Even tried to improve them but still the weak hinge point stayed. Fixing the weak point on those makes them hard to use cause they don't fold if you make them thick enough to be durable and with many better choices out there for about the same price they should just go away.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Jaco's are the way to go.
Ara, send me your shipping address and I will get you taken care of at no charge.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 08:02 PM »

I replaced the connectors on my Alpha+ stack with these, easier to acquire and replace

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Ca Ike

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 08:31 PM »

Jaco's are the way to go.
Ara, send me your shipping address and I will get you taken care of at no charge.
What a nice guy Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document