GWTW Forum
July 27, 2014, 09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our plastic world  (Read 1809 times)
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: May 17, 2009, 08:26 PM »

The pictures practically speak for themselves.
http://izismile.com/2009/05/13/our_plastic_world_20_pics.html

And here's some discussion on the subject.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/capt_charles_moore_on_the_seas_of_plastic.html

Here's a sample pict from the first link:

Ron
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:14 PM by Stardragon » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:58 PM »

The first link didn't work (Works now ?? ) but the second one with the video was highly disturbing. And to think that is pretty much just the litter that has found it's way to the sea. We've watched our community go from a small dump to a landfill in a large canyon which was filled many years ago and is now a mountain towering over the surrounding area.

I envy those communities that have setup recycling for the full garbage stream, pulling out all the metals, glass & plastics and composting the organics, powering the operation with the Methane produced. It's past time to find economically viable ways of recycling our waste stream.

Thanks - I think  Sad

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:17 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Stardragon

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:05 PM »

I more than agree on the highly disturbing aspect.  I just found out about this today and have been disturbed ever since.

That first link seems to work for me every time and I didn't have to sign up for anything.

Ron
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:13 AM »

Tucson started a recycling effort about 15 years ago with these small tote type bins for paper, plastic and metal. After a couple of years they switched to 50gal bins, the same size as the garbage.

When I remolded the kitchen 4 years ago I installed a pull out cabinet with 2 kitchen size garbage containers, one for garbage and one for recycle. makes it easy to separate from the get go.

Unfortunately even with every household getting the recycle bins (free of charge) they estimate only a small percentage of the residents are actively participating.

The goal was to reduce the stream by 50% by 2000 but current reduction is closer to 7-8%

It is sad to see what the next generations have to look forward to on planet earth

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RonG
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:08 AM »

And no one foresees this thread easily crossing the line into political/ideological discussion?  Roll Eyes
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:53 AM »

And no one foresees this thread easily crossing the line into political/ideological discussion?  Roll Eyes

Trying to tread lightly  Wink  I'm thinking it's real close but a worthwhile eye opener. It's civil & positive so far.

Kiteking, Mike, good on you, I've seen that before, real nice and makes recycling easier, ours is bags scattered around and although we have to pay for those recycling bins on our bill by County ordinance they also ordained that the collection company does not have to provide them to our rural area  Angry

That's one reason I'm in favor of the whole waste stream going through processing, you gave the other reason in your figures. It's been done in some locals and the operations actually turn a profit, but still there is much that the cost of transportation and re-refining outweighs the cost of new resources, at least if you don't factor in environmental costs like these vids demonstrate.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:01 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Stardragon

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:19 PM »

Sigh, with a setup like that what can one do:

God darned government agencies don't have a chance! Huh

Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document