GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Young flier tips?  (Read 1201 times)
xtrmbrdr
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2012, 05:46 PM »

My 4 yr old son loved his mini kite that his grandparents got him for Easter but it was so small that all it really did was was get tangled.  So, I bought him a Prism Stowaway Delta (ok maybe I got it for both of us) anyway, the best place I can think of flying this is within about 300 yds of an Interstate, so I was thinking about a "safety" line just in case.  I was thinking about a 10 ft, or so, length of string with a large loop that I could run the main line through.  Any thoughts?  Would the drag be too much? etc?
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:01 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.
What are trying to accomplish and what is your concern.
xtrmbrdr

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:25 PM »

My concern is that my son may drop the reel, allowing the kite to dive onto a car on the Interstate.  Far fetched, but it may be possible.  I figure that if I have a line with a loop running through the main line I can catch it and walk it in before that is an issue.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:29 PM »

A tent stake with a 5-10 foot line tied to it and the reel will work better.
xtrmbrdr

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:43 PM »

Are we talking about the same principle?  But with a tent stake, I have plenty of those Smiley
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:44 PM »

A friend of mine used to run the kite line thru the shackle on a dog leash and keep hold of the leash. The line was always within reach and slid thru the shackle.
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Are we talking about the same principle?  But with a tent stake, I have plenty of those Smiley
Yep but with the tent stake its hands free for you, your kid can hold the reel and feel like hes flying all by himself Smiley.  IF he drops the reel the staked line will act as the safety.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:20 PM »

It's probably not a good idea to tether a safety line to your kid.... especially a four-year-old. Don't know if something like that crossed your mind, but he could get hurt. Heh.... just sayin'

It's amazing when you think about it, but little kids usually do a great job of hanging onto kite string spools. I do think it's a great idea to do something as a backup-- bizarro things can and do happen and causing an auto accident would be horrible.

One little head's up-- I've got that particular kite and love it. However, if the wind gets to blowing it will pull pretty hard. Might be great for you to fly that one and get the kid something like the Easy Flyer. Those suckers are awesome-- they'll fly in just about any wind and won't pull anywhere close to what the StowAway will.

Easy Flyer
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=56

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24 PM »

It's probably not a good idea to tether a safety line to your kid.... especially a four-year-old. Don't know if something like that crossed your mind, but he could get hurt. Heh.... just sayin'

It's amazing when you think about it, but little kids usually do a great job of hanging onto kite string spools. I do think it's a great idea to do something as a backup-- bizarro things can and do happen and causing an auto accident would be horrible.

One little head's up-- I've got that particular kite and love it. However, if the wind gets to blowing it will pull pretty hard. Might be great for you to fly that one and get the kid something like the Easy Flyer. Those suckers are awesome-- they'll fly in just about any wind and won't pull anywhere close to what the StowAway will.

Easy Flyer
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=56
Not to the kid lol from a stake to the kite reel.
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27 PM »

I was mostly kidding about that (lol) but you never know, eh? It would go into the category of "WHAT were they thinking???"

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
xtrmbrdr

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:13 PM »

The plan would be, that he would have full control of the kite, if something were to happen, I would have a "safety" that the main line would run through, a piece of string that the reel couldn't go through but that the main line could easliy run through, that I was holding on to.
Ca Ike

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02 PM »

if its the same reel they use on other kites with the holes just tie the safety line through one of the holes
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59 AM »

if its the same reel they use on other kites with the holes just tie the safety line through one of the holes

That sort of negates being able to release or reel in line easily. I think the original posters idea of the safety line slipping over the flying line gives more freedom. And kids want to run with a kite, a stake kills that fun.

Since Dad doesn't mind being there a light caribineer tied to the safety line could be easily hooked over the flying line or unhooked allowing you to "fly" the kite with little impact on the experience.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 01:08 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 04:10 AM »

Take note ahead of time if the line is tied at the end to the handle or nor else it could all become a moot point!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:00 AM »

Take note ahead of time if the line is tied at the end to the handle or nor else it could all become a moot point!
Hehe good point but luckily Prism is really good about doing that at the factory when hey fill the spools.

That sort of negates being able to release or reel in line easily. I think the original posters idea of the safety line slipping over the flying line gives more freedom. And kids want to run with a kite, a stake kills that fun.

Since Dad doesn't mind being there a light caribineer tied to the safety line could be easily hooked over the flying line or unhooked allowing you to "fly" the kite with little impact on the experience.

AH how easy we forget what we did as kids with kites.  Well dad, plan on getting some exercise. Unless you have a couple hundred feet of safety line to reel out you will be running too Tongue  Most of all though enjoy the time with your son. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document