GWTW Forum
August 21, 2014, 01:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you do a Pinwheel/ helicopter?  (Read 2130 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« on: June 10, 2012, 08:23 PM »

I saw this move on a video and like it.

What are the inputs,

Is this a light wind only trick?

Thanks
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Yeah, pretty much a light wind trick. The classic version has the kite in a continuous flat spin floating downward. No input is given after rotation starts, and the lines need to dangle under the kite as it floats down. Old school SUL kites do this pretty naturally. Modern kites, not so much. Doing the move in any wind means moving under the kite as it's going downwind.

Multiple axels can look pretty much like a pinwheel but you keep control, giving an additional input each time or second time the kite comes around. Pretty subtle to make it look like a continuous spin.

Start a pinwheel high in the window with a flat spin. Axel at the top of the window or 540 further down is what I usually start with.

Allen, AKA kitehead
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 09:46 PM »

the inner space does them well, so you might ask jc to fly his next time the wind is light on a friday.

Fdeli
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 10:03 PM »

lots of good help here>>http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=2777.0
the inner space does them well, so you might ask jc to fly his next time the wind is light on a friday.
this is the only trick I could get out of mine. I hope Dano is getting better results?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:19 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Wayner

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:09 PM »

Success!  Grin

Thanks for your help

Yeah, pretty much a light wind trick. The classic version has the kite in a continuous flat spin floating downward. No input is given after rotation starts, and the lines need to dangle under the kite as it floats down. Old school SUL kites do this pretty naturally. 

Had success with my Alan Brooks AB+ SUL.  Stunning helicopter, it will spin all the way to the ground.

Modern kites, not so much.
Not much luck with my Shadow. Keep falling out of the spin after 2 rotations.

Hope to trying this the Interspace sometime. Glad JC loves to put out his the Interspace when the wind drops.   Wink
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50 PM »

I love doing that trick. Allen is right though most modern kited cant do a good pin wheel simply because they are designed away from rotational tricks.  Just try and get a really nice, really slow, really flat axel out of most post nirvana kites and it just doesn't happen.  The reason modern kites fall out of a pin wheel after a rotation or 2 is simply because the tail hangs too low and it can't maintain the right angle.  Heres a vid of me on my prism vapor.  Just notice how flat the rotations are.  The nose and tail stay near perfectly flat putting all the life and drive on the outer rotating wing. if the tail hangs low you will pretty much end up barrel roling out of the pinwheel.

https://vimeo.com/24301935

Some modern uls and suls will do them nicely if you take out any tail weight but you have to set them off just right. I can get them on my solus ul.  YOur Shadow will do some really nice pinwheels if you remove the weight and set the bridle all the way nose forward.  YOu'll also find that kites with curved LE's do them easier than straight LE's.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:06 AM by Ca Ike » Logged
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:00 AM »

i saw some very nice helicopters (in stella-plage) with a veyron ul, flown by thorsten axmann

this trick is very nice indoor (synchro, amazing are nice kites), you can catch the kite after a few rotations
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26 AM »

I have gotten pinwheels out of my TNT Strong in 15 mph wind.
The TNT Zero practically gives them away in low wind conditions.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 05:36 AM »

I agree with you Ca Ike , the best pinwheels i'm doing are with my Ozone and Vapor, their sail shape, curved LE, no tail weight really help in keeping the flat rotation one you got it.
To do a pinwheel "simply" go near or to the zenit of the wind window and give a very slow and gentle pull on one line while giving slack to the other, the kite will start and endless flat rotations untill you'll decide to take up the slack and fly away. While kite is rotating, lines will be completely slack, only kite's momentum will keep it pinwheeling.
Sometimes while kite is close to the ground doing the last one or two rotations, a little input is needed to nicely complete the trick before flying away.
Here a video of me and one of my Ozone doing some nice pinwheel and other floaty stuff.

https://vimeo.com/31626131

Paolo

PS: Anthony, I'm going to restore my Vapor (you know the whole story  Wink ), If I will be needing help with your template I'll let you know, but I've already made mine hoping it'll work  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:58 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 09:27 AM »

I've found that my modern kites do them, but not nearly as nicely and I need to tend the rotations - they don't go around by themselves after the initial setup, but require additional input for each rotation.

6 kite tom
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Yes, the pinwheel needs to be tended more with more modern designs.

Some older designs do better if you leave them alone once you have then rotating.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51 PM »

Here a video of me and one of my Ozone doing some nice pinwheel and other floaty stuff.

https://vimeo.com/31626131

Paolo

Sweet Paolo, I sure miss watching Steve flying his Tricktails, Sure nice to see some floaty stuff again.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 07:42 AM »

I can get some pretty good pinwheels going with my TNT UL in light winds, Just got to make sure you keep moving forward and keep the lines below the kite, I think with the addition of my leaders help the lines fall quickly below the kite.

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:22 PM »

thanks for bringing this beautiful trick up again. I just had a chance to get my Ozone (dont tell Tracey)out and also the fairly new to me Cessium sul they are both so graceful once in the groove and it is a real pleasure to take them to the top of the window and just watch them circle, really flat, to a soft landing while walking slowly forward
regards Kurt ps I am really liking the Cessium sul very smooth with small inputs tracks well also

have fun kurt
Wayner

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05 PM »

This really is a graceful trick.  And its been easy for me to learn  Smiley

Thanks all for your input.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document