GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 09:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Genki HELP!  (Read 9351 times)
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 08:04 AM »

I flew for less than 1/2 hr today, twice I walked back to the house and both times by the time I got to 25' of the house it dive bombed the ground, it's about time give up on these SLK's for me. Yrsterday I destroyed my Zenith by dive bombing pavement, ripped the whole bottom rod pocket right off the kite.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2012, 10:21 AM »

you could get a phenomenally made genki.....a wee bit risque graphic.....actually it would be perfect to fly at Burning Man!

Peter is/was a master applique artist...the designs he sewed are amazing and encompass all types of interests...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41 AM »

you could get a phenomenally made genki.....a wee bit risque graphic.....actually it would be perfect to fly at Burning Man!

Peter is/was a master applique artist...the designs he sewed are amazing and encompass all types of interests...

There is something about her hair Cool that looks funny, but as I try to figure out Embarrassed what it is, I get distracted. . .  Lips sealed
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2012, 10:50 AM »

I flew for less than 1/2 hr today, twice I walked back to the house and both times by the time I got to 25' of the house it dive bombed the ground, it's about time give up on these SLK's for me. Yrsterday I destroyed my Zenith by dive bombing pavement, ripped the whole bottom rod pocket right off the kite.

Mike what kind of space do your kites have to fly in? Do you have lots of land or is it compact? Especially if you have kites dropping and hitting pavemnt or are walking back to the house from where you launched them.

I'm Just trying to get a better understanding of you flight space.
mikeb

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2012, 12:22 PM »

Mike what kind of space do your kites have to fly in? Do you have lots of land or is it compact? Especially if you have kites dropping and hitting pavemnt or are walking back to the house from where you launched them.

I'm Just trying to get a better understanding of you flight space.
When I destroyed the one kite I was at a state park which was an overgrown parking lot, the ball fields they don't bother mowing. When I was at home and the kite kept falling out of the sky that was a different day, as far as my back yard where I fly, it takes about 15 gallons of gas or 10 gallons of diesel fuel to mow it each time and 2 days. The size is city blocks by city blocks. Sport kites aren't a problem here just the slk's.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2012, 03:54 PM »

When I destroyed the one kite I was at a state park which was an overgrown parking lot, the ball fields they don't bother mowing. When I was at home and the kite kept falling out of the sky that was a different day, as far as my back yard where I fly, it takes about 15 gallons of gas or 10 gallons of diesel fuel to mow it each time and 2 days. The size is city blocks by city blocks. Sport kites aren't a problem here just the slk's.
[/quote]

Whoa. That's some space. Back forty more likely. I wish I had some room like that around here. 40 acres of flat land around here I could have my own kite gathering/party/festivus.

Too bad on the SLK's. I can't imagine the problem on your Genki. I want to get one at some point. Maybe attention gathering for a differeent reason that Rob's.
boomertype

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2012, 04:19 PM »

I'm guessing it's a wind issue with the wind being bumpy and you overfly and then crash. 
Unless you winds are steady, you need to tend the line.  When you fly dualie, you tend the lines every minute and every second, you respond to dips and bumps in the wind.  When you fly a SLK in less than laboratory grade winds - like at a beach with steady winds, you still have to tend the lines.  When you have a change like a gust that dies off and the kite overflies and it's not tended, there is nothing to bring it back to station if it's not tended.  If the kite line is in your hands, you can respond with a tug or pull or let it slack and save it from the dive. 
It's not a dualie vs SLK problem, it's a tending problem.  SLK's in uneven/bumpy/crappy inlnad wind near trees/buildings/landforms, etc require you to tend the lines at times.  Yes you can sometimes tack them down and let them fly themselves, but don't expect them to auto-recover.
Good luck. Wink
mikeb

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2012, 06:00 PM »

Yes there is good days and bad days here for the slk's. my neighbor's flag to the north flys in one direction my neighbor's flag to the south flys in a different direction at times. The neighbor to the north his flag is on his silo and I can't see the roof of his house. My woods go back 2040' and my elevation may be 100' difference from high to low maybe more, and across the road the pines are on higher elevation than me. I never flew at the ocean, but their hotels are closer than where I fly from the trees.

One thing I notice is that the kites I fly here and there in my yard do fly in a different direction somewhat, not 180 difference. And the kites at a beach usually fly in one direction equally, in pictures anyways, and they are low low to the ground.

Here I was doing 7 kites, haven't flown since I broke that one kite, but I use 4-206' lines 2-150' lines and 1-112' line, none of those kites at the end of each line can't touch the stake nearest to it. They won't land on anything but the grass. That genki was out there in the yard aways, and I get 25' from the house and it falls twice before I get in the house once! My knee is already messed up from slk's falling this year! The darn tending to them is like trying to tend to 7 spinning plates on sticks in a handful football fields at one time.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2012, 08:49 PM »

That genki was out there in the yard aways, and I get 25' from the house and it falls twice before I get in the house once!

Time to sell the Genki or retire it and fly another kite.
mikeb

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 08:12 AM »

To tell you the truth, I'm about ready to sell all my kites, lines, parts and rods.
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Sound like you need to get more altitude or less. The changes in elevation and trees can create more than "bumps" Think more like a shore break in the ocean with a wave rolling. I've been in locations where it is very hard to get a better altitude as there is a height at which the kite seems to get pushed back down. There is also the rules of the kite demons at play. The further you get from your kite line the more likely they will bring you back. This why when experience show kiters like George Peters will ask someone to hold there kite for a minute and then go for lunch.
Rob   

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
mikeb

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2012, 11:11 AM »

I just took the genki out and it dive bombed the ground, this time the piece that holds the bungee to the kite ripped out. So this kite is now shot Cry
Now it's time to sell the rest of my kites. One buyer one price.
boomertype

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2012, 01:40 PM »

$5 Wink
boomertype

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 01:55 PM »

I just took the genki out and it dive bombed the ground, this time the piece that holds the bungee to the kite ripped out. So this kite is now shot Cry
Now it's time to sell the rest of my kites. One buyer one price.
Was it staked down or being actively held in hand?
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 06:18 PM »

$5 Wink

$10  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document