GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 01:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping rant  (Read 2425 times)
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: June 12, 2012, 07:29 PM »

Twice in the last 7 days it has cost me over $30 to ship via USPS Priority mail in the triangle boxes.  One measured around 72" long and went from OR to CA, the other was 51" long and went from OR to PA.  I don't ever remember paying that much to ship a kite unless it was to Canada or across the pond.

Ron
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40 PM »

Well this doesnt help you guys shipping Conus but it def makes shipping to Canada not look as bad! Smiley

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:10 PM »

The system has been changed Star.  I went through the same thing with my local PO and founf that they now have to scan the upc code to get it to come up right where before they had an option on the screen.  If you don't make sure they scan the cod on the pre-made boxes you will get charged "dimentional weight" which means you get charged for the maximum weight that box can handle no matter what the actual weight is.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18 PM »

72" and 51" is oversize. I think to get good domestic rates, the box needs to be under 42". That plus insurance could add up fast.

Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17 PM »

Yes, if at all possible break down the leading edges or it will cost.

-Mike
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:35 PM »

From the USPS DMM

"1.4.2 Determining Dimensional Weight for Nonrectangular Parcels

Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a nonrectangular parcel:

a. Measure the length, width, and height in inches at their extreme dimensions. Round off each measurement to the nearest whole inch.

b. Multiply the length by the width by the height.

c. Multiply the result by an adjustment factor of 0.785.

d. If the final result exceeds 1,728 cubic inches, divide the result by 194 and round up to the next whole number to determine the dimensional weight in pounds.

e. If the dimensional weight exceeds 70 pounds, the mailer pays the 70-pound price."

You can mail a 72 inch long package for "normal" postage unless your package has height and width greater than 4 inches.

I would suggest using the USPS Price calculator prior to going to the post office to avoid any surprises.
http://postcalc.usps.com/

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:39 PM »

I have been shipping via USPS every day for the past 10+ years and none of what has been said makes any sense to me. 
Rates have changed over the years but to the best of my knowledge (and I would swear to it) the method of determining dimensional rates (posted above) is the same as it was when I started.
Those boxes were either REALLY big or your Post Office has no clue.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:08 PM »

When it comes to the premade boxes other than the flat rate most usps workers have no clue.  THe system change I'm talking about was snuck in without any of the workers knowing about it.  The guy I usualy deal with at mine has been there 25 years and it took us a good half hour to figure out what was going on.  One day a package cost $13 to ship and the next day the same package with less weight was coming up $37 and both were the priority mail pre-made triangle boxes.  

Basically what we found the change to be  was that they could no longer select those boxes as an option in the package type screen in their system manually but now HAVE to scan the bar codes on the boxes.  Previously they couldn't scan them and had to select them manually as the medium shipping tube option.  All non post office pre-made boxes are pretty much the same as before. Now as it was explained to me the triangle boxes are supposed to be the same as the round tubes as far as shipping goes so when they measure all 3 sides they are actually measuring it wrong and your getting double charged. THe PO came out with those because they are easier to handle and stack than the round ones.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:13 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:24 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I explained to the guy that when he put in the length, width, and height that it doubled the volume (and using two triangle boxes let him see the visual).  I showed him the online instructions that I printed out for measuring a triangle box and it still came up over $30.  I will remember about the bar code the next time I go there and see if that helps.  I really can't see myself passing that kind of postage on to a buyer, especially if the kite costs less than $50.

Ron
Ca Ike

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 11:39 PM »

Dimensional weight is really just a scam. Your paying for something your not getting.  It would be akin to me charging a customer for a service call and never doing the service. Banks do it too with multiple fees for the same thing (iE overdraft fee, overdraft account extension fees and an account maintenance fee)  all fees for the exact same service.  This is the stuff Lawyers get put in jail for under the title "billing improprieties".
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:06 AM »

Getting the best postage rate for a parcel is an art. A black art.

I usually post in tubes, always break down the LE (even it it means cutting and ferruling a one piece LE) and yet day to day will get told by people whose job it is to know these things completely different stories about how it could~should~must be sent.

I even managed to get two kites in one package sent as a Maxi Letter once.  Huh

If you don't like what you're getting charged, go back the next day with a similar package and it will probably have changed. Or find another post office. Get a second opinion.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48 AM »

I have been shipping via USPS every day for the past 10+ years and none of what has been said makes any sense to me. 
Rates have changed over the years but to the best of my knowledge (and I would swear to it) the method of determining dimensional rates (posted above) is the same as it was when I started.
Those boxes were either REALLY big or your Post Office has no clue.

I agree... something else is at play here......I use the USPS priority all of these time and have not come across any problem like this....

Insurance will make the postage jump up..........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
coop
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 04:53 AM »

I have recently tried to get the cost to ship to UK. I was told the triangle box was oversized as one measurement was over 12 inches. They said shipping would be $117. Huh
I think that's insane! But the PO is going broke,  so maybe they are trying to save what's left.
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14 AM »

I'm the recipient of the kite coop mentions above. Or at least, I hope I will be!

So far, getting kites shipped from the US to the UK has always cost something like $40-50. And we're talking full size kites, with the LEs separated and folded up. I've got no idea where the $117 is coming from all of a sudden, but we're working on plan B ...

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 05:17 AM »

I shipped a couple of kites recently, both required taping 2 triangle boxes together to cover the length of the kites. The Postal worker measured the boxes, punched the info into their touch screen and got a price. Both kites went coast to coast. Both were insured with delivery conformation. Both cost under $20 to ship.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum