GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 02:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping rant  (Read 2366 times)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49 AM »

What I still don't understand is if you're using the priority mail triangle boxes, why there is a problem with postage (not including ins)?
coop
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28 AM »

I'm the recipient of the kite coop mentions above. Or at least, I hope I will be!

So far, getting kites shipped from the US to the UK has always cost something like $40-50. And we're talking full size kites, with the LEs separated and folded up. I've got no idea where the $117 is coming from all of a sudden, but we're working on plan B ...

You'll get it.  Smiley
I spoke with Charly and he said that the system the PO uses doesnt account for 3 sided packages so they get all messed up. I checked at two different post offices here in town and they both quoted me that rate. Insane!
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 07:03 AM »

I just went to usps site and punched in a 72" x 5" x 6" 16" girth NY to California  5 pounds $17.88 online $19.25 at the po. 8 pounds is $25.83 online $27.40 then you have the extra services. The 6' mailing tube weighs 1.2lb I don't know what a 53 chrysler bumper weighs, but it couldn't have been a kite that was shipped for price unless the rods was made out of solid lead. I think the people at your post office is ripping you off. And you should do your postage at home.
coop

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 07:39 AM »

Online gave me that price as well, going to the UK. There is no selection for the triangle box when you look up cost online (at least I didnt see one). And when you put in the dimensions it gives you that crazy price. Ive never had a price issue for shippments inside the US.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 07:57 AM »

I have recently tried to get the cost to ship to UK. I was told the triangle box was oversized as one measurement was over 12 inches. They said shipping would be $117. Huh
I think that's insane! But the PO is going broke,  so maybe they are trying to save what's left.
Silly question: when you folded that box you did have the "Prioirty" side outside right?   Some of the boxes have Priority on one side and Express on the opposite....folding it one way or the other can cause a mild heart attack!

Priority international is much different than inside the States!!!!

Figure that the price starts at 30$ and goes up from there....i have shipped a number of things to Europe and the UK and it is always that way (to dromel as well as others).....partly because the fuel used to the get the item there, and the insurance that gets assigned the item as well....
but USPS Priority International is much better than FedEx or UPS....and the USPS pieces fly on the FedEx planes anyhow..

Triangular boxes should be marked as Irregular in the computer system...that lowers the volume fee if there is one....i also mark any box that i create that ends up being above 50" as irregular as well.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:59 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+83)

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 12:26 PM »

$117 sounds inflated.  Did you select "nonrectangular" when doing the quote online?  This will let you enter length/height/width/girth.  I just put in 42x7x7x22 @ 5 lbs (probably excessive) from the US to UK shows $55 for Priority International.

I sent a Spin-Off & Aerobat to Dromel awhile back in a 48x4" shipping tube I think it was, and it was ~$40 if I recall correctly.  How big is this box you're trying to ship?

-Mike
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:30 PM by Smeagol » Logged
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36 PM »

I sent a Spin-Off & Aerobat to Dromel awhile back in a 48x4" shipping tube I think it was, and it was ~$40 if I recall correctly

I don't remember the precise figure, but yes, it was $40-odd.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 02:00 PM »

I have recently tried to get the cost to ship to UK. I was told the triangle box was oversized as one measurement was over 12 inches. They said shipping would be $117. Huh
I think that's insane! But the PO is going broke,  so maybe they are trying to save what's left.
YOur being lied to Coop.  IF the kite fits in the box its well within the PO's minimum dimensions.  Thats why these boxed were made.  Make sure they scan the upc code and insist they are not boxed but "TUBES" and need to be handled as such.  At 117 you are getting double charged.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 03:16 PM »

YOur being lied to Coop.  IF the kite fits in the box its well within the PO's minimum dimensions.  Thats why these boxed were made.  Make sure they scan the upc code and insist they are not boxed but "TUBES" and need to be handled as such.  At 117 you are getting double charged.
What UPC are you talking about?Huh there is no UPC for the triangular tubes...........

Ca Ike

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 04:14 PM »

This upc bar code. THey try and tell you its not for their use but it is and they need to scan it.  Change went in like 3 months ago.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:16 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Also make sure they are not multiplying the dimensions.  One of the new guys at my PO was not ADDING them right.
he was going by the list dimensions and multiplying them.  "well it has an x there so its dupposed to be times not +"

38 3/16" x 6 9/16" x 5 9/16" x 5 5/16" rounded to 39x7+6+6-741   WRONG
                                                                    39x7x6x6 = 9828   WRONG   
                                                                    39+7+6+6 = 58  CORRECT
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 04:41 PM »

i have not heard anything about those bar codes........no one at my post offices uses it...

Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Have them try it
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Where were you told that the people should be using it?

Ca Ike

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 06:48 PM »

When the price jumped for shipping a zeph from 13 to 37 i came back when my regular guy was there.  Thats when we found out the code was usable where a couple days before it wasn't.  THey are still doing things to the system and sneaking in changes. not to the rules but to how the system works.  Page layouts and such.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum