GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 09:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuck on stalls  (Read 2051 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 03:07 PM »

Also rather then a straight dive at the ground make the dive curved toward the center a bit or enter the trick with a slower turn before the spin to accomplish the same thing. Either helps to provide a bit of momentum toward center to begin the slide.

Gusty winds, a heavy kite like the Quantum requiring 8 mph to be responsive and the more modern deeper sail are all working against you. With perfect timing or a bit of luck it'll be in there. Get you into some light lab grade winds and I bet you'll find you had it all along, the conditions were just working against you being able to hold it as long as you would like.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 04:10 PM »

I'm guessing also that you're dealing with a significantly slowed and disturbed boundry layer. I can't say with certainty this will work and it won't be as impressive as dragging  a wingtip across the field but you could try using your horizon as a reference point rather then the ground to get up into better winds.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 04:23 PM »

To add to what skb mentioned, I like to try to keep the kite pointed straight up when sliding but keeping it tilted is a little easier. I mentioned starting it all the way out on the edge of the wind window. When you turn the kite quickly into a snap stall, the kite automatically wants to "slide" into the middle of the wind window. So really you are simply performing a snap stall at the extreem edge of the wind window from a downward fight. You don't need to be pointed 100% down, the kite can be partially pointed inward toward the middle of the wind window. This would make for an easier snap stall.

When I was competing, one thing I always was told... see how that person is walking around? Flying is not about standing on one place... you need to be moving around. In videos you may see many people standing still but usually those videos are taken in perfect flying conditions and show people who have mastered what they are taping.

The only other advise I can give you... DON' GIVE UP... DON'T GET FRUSTRATED. Relax and take a deep breath every once in awhile. Imagine that you could be cleaning your house or digging a ditch at that moment. Flying a kite is a whole lot better!

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44 PM »

This is an advanced trick (to be done well) in my book on a modern kite.

I would progress onto other tricks and come back to it.  It requires a finesse and connection with the kite that you can only get with lots of time on the lines (in my opinion). 

Tom has some good advice. I love the side slide, but my old school kites do them much better that modern kites.

The Opium is the only modern kite I've had success with. One night Chilese pull it out of his bag. Great slides in medium wind that night.  Cool 
Spend hours and hours without success with my other modern kites  Embarrassed

Now I only attempt slides with old school kites. Much less frustration. Trying other tricks may bring quicker rewards. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:46 PM by Wayner » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 07:45 PM »

I had some pretty strong winds this evening. With your suggestions I was able to have a lot more success than I was before. Moving the feet (a lot) and trying to focus on controlling the trailing edge worked a lot better in winds that were higher than I was flying in before.

I had a few pretty good slides of varying degrees. Nothing worthy of video, but defintely broke through that wall I was at. Thanks again. Grin
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 10:14 AM »

Been learning the slide for the past month.  PRACTICE PRACTICE.  I make sure my lines are crossed before I come to the side of the window.  When I dive down and turn ,the lines are not crossed.  As I turn I pull hard and pop the sail like a stall. I tried some of the advise I got and it's working. I use the one hand to steer the tail like a rudder.

All this sounds good, but truth is.  It will drive you crazy.  I did something different in my practicing.  I keep flying the kite in the window in front of me and I keep popping all the wind out of the sail.  I stand her on both tips and try to keep the kite standing as I move her around.  Always moving myself inward or outward to maintain air flow.

Just playing in this fashion as given me more self confidence in this.  Last week my slides are looking pretty good.  I even moved it left to right and back again.
Not far but done.  Playing and feeling the wind and doing simple axels or 540's in this fashion gives me a sense of better control of the kite.  It then lends way for me to work the slide.

I dive downward and snap the kite to the left and pop the air out of the sail so she can gently glide.  However I feel for me.  I will never accomplice this trick fully unless I can control the kite in gentle wind.  So I continue to work my little practice sessions the same, but my results are really looking good.

I guess what I am saying is ...as a beginner I need that kite to STALL and I work at it.  I'll move it back and forth just popping the sail over and over again.  Knocking the air out of it,feeling the end result and trying to incorperate that into the slide. 

Higher winds 6-9mph, just means stronger pop on the sails.  I tend to muscle them...

Strange comment on another post about WM Ul can't handle heavy hands.  I beat the dog out of it at times.  Same same Std.  I have watched Devin whip it till it cried.   

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 01:16 AM »

I'm going to chime in here and probably repeat some of that has been said.  I found 3 keys to getting a good slide.  First key is the entry.  DOn't just fly down and turn quick.  It should be more of a spiral ( I use the number 6 as my guide) with a step or 3 forward as I come out of the spiral to kill forward drive and keep the momentum.  A common mistake on the entry is to add a snap or quick turn input which usually ends up with no slide and a stall with the kite over rotating.

Second key is to constantly move back and forth to keep the height even.  This is even more important in inland winds as you have to move forward pretty fast sometimes to counter a gust and back quickly to keep the kite floating.

THird and probably the biggest key of all is the LEADING hand never moves.  ALL adjustments should be done with the trailing hand.  If your trying to slide right to left then your left hand doesn't move and you make all adjustments to keep the kite level and sliding with your right.

On the quantum your actually better off with the forgiving setting.  The radical setting IMO is a bit too much and makes the kite too twitchy and fly really heavy.

Here's a vid I did a couple years ago with clips from a marathon 4 hour slide practice session.  You can see the range from crappy to nice and also see me in the frame so you can see what I'm doing.  HOpe all this helps.  https://vimeo.com/19018195
red sweater

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 05:49 AM »

I make sure my lines are crossed before I come to the side of the window.  When I dive down and turn ,the lines are not crossed.

I've not heard this before. It's harder with the lines not crossed? Disregard, I misread. I have been doing the same, out of instinct, but it is in fact easier with uncrossed lines, right?

On the quantum your actually better off with the forgiving setting.  The radical setting IMO is a bit too much and makes the kite too twitchy and fly really heavy.

Thanks for that tip. I know it could easily come across this way, but I wasn't recommending the radical setting, just asking which it was on, since the OP reported oversteer. I haven't done a good slide yet, so I'm not in a position to give advice on bridle settings. I was just pushing to get the right info out there so the experts could say things like this.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:51 AM by red sweater » Logged

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change