GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best quad for 13-20 mph wind?  (Read 4354 times)
Rx8doc
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 07:54 AM »

ok will look over there. Why do I feel I asked a bad question? Embarrassed
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 08:13 AM »

ok will look over there. Why do I feel I asked a bad question? Embarrassed
Not a bad question but I know a bunch of folks over there have posted pics and made comments.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14 AM »

no bad question!
Just that the Rev forum has picked up traffic more and more and a lot of the Rev threads that were here are no longer here.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 04:16 PM »

Revo Polo
I have 12 Rev 1.5's, these are basically all I ever fly, IMHO the best there is

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:40 PM by ezme6 » Logged

"Do what you like"
Rx8doc

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 06:46 PM »

sounds like I might have to make the Dallas Houston run and check them out Smiley
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Sweet quad kites and kite mobile.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 09:46 AM »

might be a bit farther than Houston, I
am living in the Philippines for the Asia kite festival season

"Do what you like"
Rx8doc

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 12:15 PM »

so hang a right at Galveston then?  Cheesy
Katrina
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 06:10 PM »

For 13-20, I'd agree with others' recommendations for a full vent b series.  With Black race rods for the lower range, and 3 wraps for higher, maybe 4s for even higher.  FYI, megavent=extra vent =xtravent.  As for the polo vented, I have not flown one BUT I did consider one, and before ruling it out, I emailed Steve in South Africa quite a bit about it--he has a set of polos and rev pros.  What I learned is, the polos are better at pivots ("pivot monsters"), and may be more fun if you are mostly flying on your own.  Rev B series/b series pros are probably better suited to team flying.  Both are good.  The outlines of the sails are very similar, almost identical.  But the rods on the polos are placed further in along the LE.  Perhaps this is what makes them so good at clockwork/pivots? The venting is obviously placed differently, less power in the center Steven says.  I had my husband's pixel counting program at work do the math, and I can tell you that the polo VTD actually has more venting than the Xtra vent.  So I would not start with that, if your winds are typically 13-20.  Polo makes a midvent, though. 

Polo sails will always be lighter than B series because they are printed, not sewn.  Believe it or not, the extra weight of the stitching and the overlapped panels makes a difference! But very slight.  I did fly one of the Gonzalez bros printed standards once, and it felt more like an SUL.
If you are serious about the polos, I'd pm Steven Leonard (kwmf), madquad, and rich comras (quaa714) on the rev forum.  Steve and rich have polos and rev pros, and madquad just got a set of polo team kites, if I'm not mistaken.

There are of course other kites to consider besides the 1.5 size (B series, B series pro, polo, exp, sle).  Out my way (west coast) at least, 1.5s are what you will see on the beach.  Lots of people have other things, but most have other things in addition to 1.5s.  1.5s are good for team, or even if you don't care about team, they are good for flying in groups.  They mix well. They are good to learn on-not too fast.  Speed is fun, but it makes the learning process so much harder.  you don't have much time to think before*^%$(CRASH.  B2s are fun, when you're on your own.  They fly just like a 1.5, but faster. Faster along a straight line, faster turns. If you really want speed, I'd go with one of those.  I've flown the supersonic, it's also fast, but I think it'd be harder to learn on. It's crazier. 

kepople
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 07:56 PM »

This is my choice for those kind of winds... indeed it was over 20 when I flew it this day. Full vent revB with 4wrap. Feels nice and solid, seems more stable than flying the mid vent in same winds.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum