GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New here and have some repair questions for Hawaiian Team  (Read 1062 times)
buck351
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 13, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Hello,

I haven't flown for a number of years and dragged out the kites to go flying. 

I now remember last time I flew the Hawaiian Team kite I lost some standoffs/whiskers in the tall grass along with another part I just replaced.  Problem is I don't know diameter, length or material of the standoffs.  I looked at post here where they listed specs for Hawaiian kites but I didn't understand a number of the abreviations on the top of the columns.  The tag on the kite says its a 3/4 team.  Assembled it measures 72" accross the wing span a the bottom of the kite, widest part.  I was temporarly using standoffs from another kite to get an idea of the width.

Another thing is how do I know if the frame parts are fiberglass or graphite.  They are black and look to my eye like some graphite/carbon tubing I have.

I remember it being fun to fly and would like to finish fixing it so I can fly it again.

Thanks for any help. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:10 PM by buck351 » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21 PM »

They originally used too thin of fiberglass rod for the stand offs. 3 or 4 mm carbon rod would be preferable.

Can you give us a diameter on the spars? That would help ID them. Alternately I've heard that using a multimeter on resistance can work, carbon will conduct where fiberglass will show an open circuit.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
buck351

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:50 PM »

They originally used too thin of fiberglass rod for the stand offs. 3 or 4 mm carbon rod would be preferable.

Can you give us a diameter on the spars? That would help ID them. Alternately I've heard that using a multimeter on resistance can work, carbon will conduct where fiberglass will show an open circuit.

I hadn't thought about using a multimeter.  Good idea, I'll give it a try.  How do determine the length of the stand offs?
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:54 PM »

Hello,

Another thing is how do I know if the frame parts are fiberglass or graphite.  They are black and look to my eye like some graphite/carbon tubing I have.

Another option.
Use fine sand paper to sand the end of the rod. Fiberglass will leave a white residue, carbon will be black.
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:40 PM »

from the database

Hawaiian  Team Kite

WINGS Materials   SPINE Material    LWR SPR Material UPR SPRDR Material BATTENS Material STANDOFF Material

65.0        .350 FG    32.5  .350 FG     32.5     .337 FG     22.0      .337 FG     51.5      .278 FG    9.0     3/32 FGR

Hope this helps

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:47 PM »

If your kite is about 6 feet across, it may be a different TOTL model.

The Team Hawaiian is about 8 feet across.
The photo below shows Mike Dennis and Pam Kirk with their "modernized"
version, which knocks about 6 ounces off the original's weight.
It had several color combinations, but this one is fairly common:

I was able to get an axel to fade to recovery out of it.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:49 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21 PM »

6 foot across would be a 3/4 model.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Wayner

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30 PM »

6 foot across would be a 3/4 model.
The 3/4 model was called the Maui
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 12:00 AM »

I reframed my first kite ever, a pink Maui, in either 2100 or .2400 pulltrude. Actually, I paid Alan Nagao to do it. It flew a lot better, in both lighter winds and stronger winds, hummed instead of farting, almost enough to make it "radical", but in the end, it was still a 3/4 hawaiian, and couldn't compete with the flyabaility of the NSR.
I have since sold it, but I think it was spined in 2400, with 2100 edges and spreaders.
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:12 AM »

I reframed my first kite ever, a pink Maui, in either 2100 or .2400 pulltrude. Actually, I paid Alan Nagao to do it. It flew a lot better, in both lighter winds and stronger winds, hummed instead of farting, almost enough to make it "radical", but in the end, it was still a 3/4 hawaiian, and couldn't compete with the flyabaility of the NSR.
I have since sold it, but I think it was spined in 2400, with 2100 edges and spreaders.

Nice upgrade.  Cool

Upgraded my Hawaiian with P400 skysharks. can still handle high winds but can not be flown in in the lower wind range.  Smiley
kiteking

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:02 AM »

More from the database

Hawaiian Maui
WINGS Materials   SPINE Material    LWR SPR Material UPR SPRDR Material BATTENS Material STNDOFF Material

50.25  .278 FG      24.75 .350 FG       25.0     .278 FG   17.0         .278 FG  39.0      .278 FG   13.5   3/32 FGR

Hawaiian Maui '95
WINGS Materials   SPINE Material    LWR SPR Material UPR SPRDR Material BATTENS Material STNDOFF Material

49.0  SKYSK 6.3    24.75 SKYSK 6.3  25.0    SKYSK6.3   17.0     SKYSK6.3  39.0     .278 FG   14.0     3/32 FGR

Hawaiian Maui '96

49.0    .240 GRPH 24.75  .240GRPH  25.0    .240GRPH    17.0      .240GRPH  39.0     .278 FG 1  4.0     3/32 FGR

Helpful?

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

buck351

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15 AM »

kiteking,

Thanks for the information.  If I reading your post data correctly, I'm not a real techy kite guy, it says the stand offs for the Maui are 3/32" fiberglass rod 14" long?  Seems kind of long.  I'll look at the kite when I get home today from work.

Tag on the kite did say it was a 3/4 Hawaiian and it did measure 6' across.  Don't remember the rest of it. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:19 AM by buck351 » Logged
kiteking

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 05:18 PM »

the stand offs for the Maui are 3/32" fiberglass rod 14" long? 

Looks like they went from 13.5 on the orginal, to 14 on the next models, I don't have a Maui myself so I cant verify

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

buck351

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:13 PM »

Thanks everyone for you input. 

I took skb's advice and made some stand offs with some fiberglass rod I had.  I used a multimeter on the frame and tested it on some graphite tubing I had to verify the test.  The frame is all fiberglass and the repairs I made years ago were also fiberglass.  So I did good it's all repaired now so I can fly it again.  Tag on the kite says "3/4 Hawaiian team kite by top of the line".  Got it years ago on sale.

As I said I hadn't flown in years until last weekend.  I only flew one of my kites.  I live in the midwest outside of Chicago.  Best place I have found to fly around here is at work.  Large open area.  Total site is 6800 acres.  Lots of open space for the wind. There's a large area with tall grass, nice cushion for crashes, but tough to find lost stand offs.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:18 PM by buck351 » Logged
kiteking

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 06:37 AM »

I live in the midwest outside of Chicago.  Best place I have found to fly around here is at work. 

You might want to get connected with IKE, they have quite a few spots they get together and fly

have fun

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography