GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 02:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MIKE (Maryland International Kite Exposition)  (Read 2081 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: March 04, 2009, 01:26 PM »

From the "Old Forum":
I wanted to invite everyone to the Maryland International Kite Exposition held on April 24th thru 26th. There has been a great deal of speculation and disappointment about the cancelation of the Sport Kite Competition, MASKC, so I wanted to set the record straight. First of all the kite festival will continue. Like a great number of kite festivals out there, our sponsorship funds were declining and because of that, I simply could no longer afford to hire Sky Festivals to run the Sport Kite Competition. Beatrix and Roger always did a first rate job of organizing and running this component of MIKE so trust me when I say it was a very difficult decision to cancel MASKC. It was also not meant to send out the message that Sport Kite Flyers were no longer welcome. In fact just the opposite is true. I am restructuring the event to make it more like Dave Shenkman’s “Kite Party” where Sport Kite flyers will have a large field that we can showcase individual kite flyers performing their routines at different times. I want this event to become a festival where you can come, enjoy, take center stage while flying demos for the massive crowds along the Boardwalk and avoid the stress and politics of competition. In other words there will be more fun and less structure. The festival will highlight the following: Susan Gomberg will be coordinating the activities on the Big Kite Field. Bazzer Poulter, Steve de Rooy, JD Fabich and Adrian Flanagan from Team i-Quad will be here performing demos all weekend. Sky Dogs Kites, Premier Kites, HQ Kites and New Tech Kites will be here showcasing their kites and offering Sport Kite Lessons for the spectators on the Boardwalk. Jim Christianson and his Sky Dog Band will be performing live on the beach. On Saturday we will have a free buffet and a informal auction at Shenanigan’s for all the Mike Kite Flyers. No fees and no hassles. I sincerely hope that if you were on the fence about attending the event that you might reconsider. If you were already planning on attending then I look forward to seeing you. My goal is to make this a true kite flyers event, one that you will remember for a long time. I will certainly keep all of you posted as the planning unfolds. Thanks and please let me know what your thoughts are regarding this new direction for MIKE.

Jay Knerr
The Kite Loft

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Shamrocky
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:07 PM »

Looks like there will be a sound system and demo field so stunt kite flyers can fly demoes at MIKE. 

Just wondering if any of those flyers who participated in MASKC will still make the trip to Ocean City this year?

I think we will wait and watch the weather forecast.  Getting a room at OC that time of year is no problem. 

Hope the weather is good so I can fly some demoes! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Shamrocky Smiley
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03 PM »

Just wondering if any of those flyers who participated in MASKC will still make the trip to Ocean City this year?
Shamrocky Smiley

From what I am hearing, very few.  There will be some folks from WOW, but they always attend.  They would compete, but they spent most of their time down the boardwalk toward the kite store.

I think they were a bit short sighted canceling the sport kite comptition.  Not sure I agree with the budget issue either.  While I don't know exactly what they spent to put on the sport kite competition, IIRC it cost me $60- $70 in entry fees in the past.  Multiply that by the other 20-30 competitors and it seems there should have been enough to pretty much pay for the sport kite portion.  Maybe not. 

I do know we alway drew a pretty big crowd sitting on the benches watching.  Maybe if the organizers had ever ventured down to our end of the boardwalk they might have seen that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:06 PM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Kitsu

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:01 PM »

I won't be attending MIKE this year, and yes, it is because of MASKC not being a part of the event.

While that time of year can have very nice weather in OC, I have had plenty of experiences where it was too cold and with more wind than is fun to fly in.
RonG
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58 AM »

I won't be attending MIKE this year, and yes, it is because of MASKC not being a part of the event.

While that time of year can have very nice weather in OC, I have had plenty of experiences where it was too cold and with more wind than is fun to fly in.

+1

I've seen some nice wind and weather on that weekend, but also quite a bit of atrocious stuff.  Without MASKC, there's not enough there to make we want to risk my time and money on what sometimes is a pretty crappy weekend.
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:53 AM »

We'll be there, but we've never competed anyway - plan to just have a good time flying, watching, hanging out, and learning (in some order or other).

Larry
Shamrocky

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:26 PM »

Too bad the hotels did not put up some money so MASKC could happen.   Think of all the hotel rooms they will not be filling up that weekend. Cry Cry

Lost revenue.   I wonder if the Chamber of Commerce considered that when they decided not to help fund the event.

Shamrocky Smiley
RonG
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 12:42 PM »

Too bad the hotels did not put up some money so MASKC could happen.   Think of all the hotel rooms they will not be filling up that weekend. Cry Cry

Lost revenue.   I wonder if the Chamber of Commerce considered that when they decided not to help fund the event.
I doubt it would make a difference.  There were a fair number of competitors at MASKC when I first started going; at the time Wildwood was by far the largest but I'd say MASKC was a close second, it being the kickoff event of the busy part of the EL season.  In recent years there haven't been very many of us at all.  Certainly not enough to make hotels or a Chamber of Commerce worry about lost revenue.

Seriously, I know some of us still enjoyed it, but I don't blame anyone with a financial stake to see it as a losing proposition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document