GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless vented light vs fearless light.  (Read 1663 times)
Adamld13
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: June 13, 2012, 09:10 PM »

I'm wondering what the pros and cons are for a vented light kite?
The fearless vented light vs the fearless light are the two particular kites I'm
Reffering too.

I know the venting increases the kites wind range but is there a loss in another
Department for this?

Will the vented version hold a fade as well?

Will it lose stability?

Where I live the wind is ever changing, which would be best?
Keeping in mind the vtd version is $100 more.

Any info would be great....thnx!

johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:53 PM »

For some reason the mid vent light seems to be easier to fly and trick than a non vented light.  Why?  Who knows.  The venting is pretty small and I think just that release of air through the sale makes pitch tricks easier.  I have both and can seem to fly the mid vent down to about 3 to 4 mph.  With brakes it flys ok up to the 20's.  So you really only need two kites for a decent range.   A SUL  and mid vent light.  I have a standard also but it does not add anything to range or performance.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 10:03 PM »

The vented is very stable in both fade and turtle - fade is the same, the turtle on the vent is even more stable - you can hold it in a riser all day in decent wind.  His vents do not suffer the same issues as some other makers vents (namely, his fly well and do not feel 'mushy') - he keeps the venting small.

The light vent is great in bumpy wind - it helps to smooth it out.  I trick mine into the 20s with no concerns.  The light tends to get  faster and pull more as the wind hits the teens, so I switch to a standard or light vent at 12/13 or so.  

I see the light vent as a replacement for both the light and standard, but there is much overlap.  If you are the kind of person that likes  to fly a fully powered up kite, then the light is super sweet in standard winds (I love it).  If you want less speed and easier (less input speed) tricks, then the vented light will slow it down for you.  

In any case, it's all good.  I've got a full set and they all have the same feel to them, it's really a matter of fine-tuning to choose the right one for the exact wind, but they will all work well.  

If you only had the SUL and vented light, you would be well off since you can fly in any reasonable wind with confidence.   Then again, I could never part with my light and standard either!  Smiley.  

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:06 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:55 AM »

Then again, I could never part with my light and standard either!  Smiley.  

Good luck.

I could part with my Light Roll Eyes..........but only Wink if I replaced it with the vented Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Good luck.

I could part with my Light Roll Eyes..........but only Wink if I replaced it with the vented Cool

I don't know Jim.  I guess it is our typically light winds, but I couldn't bear to part with my Light.

That kite feels so natural and familiar to me that its almost like an extension to my body at this point!  Smiley

Tom

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I wouldnt have a set of fearless if it wasnt for Tom. The light is my favorite and see's more sky than either the standard or Tat. thanks Tom. Looking forward to adding a vented light  asap
regards 5 kite Kurt

have fun kurt
justinpwheeler

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:07 PM »

I bought the vented light after trying one vs a std.  The VL didn't pull as hard and seemed to trick smoother for me.  It LOCKED into a fade.  I got the 3pt and 5pt spreaders with mine and added the Moonie tape afterwards.  I am very satisfied with my VL purchase.  It's really a sweet kite and I'm glad I spent the extra $ to get it. 

The only question I have never asked is why hasn't Lam switched over to black diamond spreaders?
justinpwheeler

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08 PM »

And credit to John Farrell for the Fearless introduction.  Great guy and great flier!
Adamld13

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:29 PM »

For some reason the mid vent light seems to be easier to fly and trick than a non vented light.  Why?  Who knows.  The venting is pretty small and I think just that release of air through the sale makes pitch tricks easier.  I have both and can seem to fly the mid vent down to about 3 to 4 mph.  With brakes it flys ok up to the 20's.  So you really only need two kites for a decent range.   A SUL  and mid vent light.  I have a standard also but it does not add anything to range or performance.

Thnx John! Good info Smiley

Adamld13

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35 PM »

If you are the kind of person that likes  to fly a fully powered up kite, then the light is super sweet in standard winds (I love it).  If you want less speed and easier (less input speed) tricks, then the vented light will slow it down for you.  

I never really thought of it but.. no....i dont like a fully powered up kite.
I want a kite to pull the least amount as possible but still stay airborne thru out tricks.
From my experience when a kite is completely powered up the inputs need to be fast and sharp.
I like to slow things down if possible:)

Sounds like a vented might be for me Grin

Adamld13

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:37 PM »

I wouldnt have a set of fearless if it wasnt for Tom. The light is my favorite and see's more sky than either the standard or Tat. thanks Tom. Looking forward to adding a vented light  asap
regards 5 kite Kurt

Half of my "A" bag is hand me downs from Tom!
So im not the only one hahah  Cheesy

tpatter

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:53 PM »

And credit to John Farrell for the Fearless introduction.  Great guy and great flier!

++1.   John was flying the first FL that I had ever seen during his routine at WSIKF - his light. 

I have also seen his top shelf, limited edition, special framed vented light in action - very sweet, it was the envy of the festival!  Smiley.   

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57 PM »

Sounds like a vented might be for me Grin

Congrats - excellent choice!

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 10:25 AM »

Good luck.

I don't know Jim.  I guess it is our typically light winds, but I couldn't bear to part with my Light.

That kite feels so natural and familiar to me that its almost like an extension to my body at this point!  Smiley

Tom

Yeah, you're right........I guess I'll have to ADD the vent light to the bag........I've only flown the light once since a beach stick poked a little hole in it.  It flew fine after the patch and the wind was gusting to 17-18 at times...I moved to the STD Vent and could trick a bit in those winds.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57 AM »

It is hard for me to really compare my Light and my Vented Light because they have different bridles. The Light came with a 3 Point and the Vented Light came with a Reverse Turbo. That said, The VL has a little different feel and does not lock as solid into a fade for me. What it does (because of the bridle) is spin tricks. It is a Taz monster. On the RT bridle the pig-tails go to the leading edge instead of the spine as on the 3 Point. So when you are pancaked and slacked the hit to the line pulls the leading edge instead of the spine. The Standard is my go to kite in anything down to 4 MPH. The VL and I are getting better acquainted, but I still think it is more twitchy than the Light in bumpy winds. I am going to try switching bridles around so stay tuned.
CV

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document