GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vegas Flyers  (Read 4077 times)
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: June 16, 2012, 06:47 PM »

Not sure if this is a good spot to post this. I looked and didn't find a "fly" section so here goes.

I'm going to be in Vegas this coming week in training from Tues-Thurs each day until 5pm and was hoping to find a place and some locals to fly with while I'm visiting. I'm debating bringing some rev's just because of the airport security stuff. I'd love to bring at least a 1.5(maybe leave my handles just to avoid security due to metal handles and all) and depending on wind maybe a mid vent B series(which I've yet to fly and have owned for at least a year).

I have another concern.......not having a vehicle. Not sure distance from the strip to fly zone either. Don't mind paying for either a cab or fuel to and from fly zone.

Any suggestions?Huh

Peace.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09 PM »

I carry two Revs in a Prism hard case with line and handles as carry on and have never had a problem.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:17 PM by boomertype » Logged
socalman320

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:21 PM »

I have a couple of Zephyr cases so that should be a breeze!! Punn intended Tongue

I carry two Revs in a Prism hard case with line and handles as carry on and have never had a problem.

Good luck.
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:12 PM »

There are several threads on the Rev forum talking about flying with Rev's as carry-on.
I've flown with them in my Prism case more times than I can count.  I think I occasionally carry the lines in my suitcase, but not all the time.  Once someone ask what was in the case, I said kites and that was the end of the conversation.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:30 PM »

Bring a mid vent is a good idea. The wind has been either light or strong since march.

Temp will still be around 100 after 5pm, so water is a must. I think we have more show girls than parks. No parks really close to the strip.

Where are you staying at?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:34 PM by Wayner » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:38 PM »

Sunset Park is at the SE corner of the airport.

I haven't flown there in a few years.

We fly at New Silverbowl Park which is about 10 miles
from the airport. It is lit until 11 PM.

It will be over 100F every day with 110 scheduled for Thursday.

The winds will always be bumpy, but we have been getting wind.

Don't know if I can make it this week.

Always good to see another flier.

It will be light until about 8:30 at any park. We actually have many
parks, just not a lot of them on the Strip.  Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07 AM »

If you can swing it, it might be worth it to just rent a car-- you can get some pretty good deals if you are renting one for several days.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
socalman320

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:15 AM »

Bring a mid vent is a good idea. The wind has been either light or strong since march.

Temp will still be around 100 after 5pm, so water is a must. I think we have more show girls than parks. No parks really close to the strip.

Where are you staying at?

Looks like Embassy Suites

More show girls than parks? Hmmmm........any showgirls that like to fly? Tongue Grin
socalman320

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 07:18 AM »

I found both parks on Google and they look like they're about 30mins from each other. They don't look too far from where I'm staying either.

I figure after the training classes I can change into shorts and hit the parks. Each day I'm told will end at 5 so that should give me at least 3hrs of flying.
Wayner

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 05:19 PM »

I found both parks on Google and they look like they're about 30mins from each other. They don't look too far from where I'm staying either.

I figure after the training classes I can change into shorts and hit the parks. Each day I'm told will end at 5 so that should give me at least 3hrs of flying.

Silverbowl Park is a good choice 1st choice. Sunset Parks trees have matured over the years and may be an issue.

If you are looking for a closer park. Based on your hotel location the closest park I fly at is the JE Cashman school park at 4622 W Desert Inn Rd, Las Vegas, NV
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 06:34 PM »

Bernie,

When we talked today I never finished my sentence.

I have flown three times with the Prism Zephyr case, three revs, one extra set of rods, three line sets...but none of my patent billiard ball kite stakes (do not fly with them!).

I always press to have it stored in the coat closet.

I always say the contents are "professional stunt kites worth over a thousand dollars with sticks that thinner than my hair (I am bald)."

Have a blast in Vegas!

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
socalman320

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Silverbowl Park is a good choice 1st choice. Sunset Parks trees have matured over the years and may be an issue.

If you are looking for a closer park. Based on your hotel location the closest park I fly at is the JE Cashman school park at 4622 W Desert Inn Rd, Las Vegas, NV

I don't mind flying dual line kites. Just have a lot to learn in the tricks dept. is all. As long as I'm flying I could care less what kite I fly.

The park is pretty darn close so long as my stay location doesn't change. I'm all for that place.

I guess I should ask who all is gonna show up?Huh Don't wanna take kites and fly solo........ Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cry
socalman320

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 07:25 PM »

Bernie,

When we talked today I never finished my sentence.

I have flown three times with the Prism Zephyr case, three revs, one extra set of rods, three line sets...but none of my patent billiard ball kite stakes (do not fly with them!).

I always press to have it stored in the coat closet.

I always say the contents are "professional stunt kites worth over a thousand dollars with sticks that thinner than my hair (I am bald)."

Have a blast in Vegas!

Ok. Good to know!!! No stakes.... Cheesy
Wayner

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 08:22 PM »

I don't mind flying dual line kites. Just have a lot to learn in the tricks dept. is all. As long as I'm flying I could care less what kite I fly.

The park is pretty darn close so long as my stay location doesn't change. I'm all for that place.

I guess I should ask who all is gonna show up?Huh Don't wanna take kites and fly solo........ Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cry

I can make it Tues, maybe Wen.

Check you messages.  Wink

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 08:31 PM »

Ok. Good to know!!! No stakes.... Cheesy

I have some fiber/plastic tent stakes I got at Walmart, I travel with those

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document