GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 01:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Link Line Lengths on stacked Flexifoils  (Read 560 times)
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:34 AM »

Hello,  Mighty Brain Trust!!

Can you please tell me the correct recommended length of stack link lines on the following Flexifoil combinations.

Hot Shot to Hot Shot (4') to (4')   Smiley
Hot Shot to Stacker (4') to (6')   Wink
Stacker to Stacker (6') to (6')   Grin
Stacker to Flexifoil 8  (6') to (8')   Undecided
Flexifoil 8 to Flexifoil 8 (8') to (8')   Angry
Flexifoil 8 to Flexifoil 10 (8') to (10')   Sad    and finally,
Flexifoil 10 to Flexifoil 10 (10') to (10')   Lips sealed

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy winds to you all.

Magpiesfooty
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:13 AM »

From Ray Merry's site:

Stacking
Flexifoil Power Kites are very easy to stack together. The following 4 methods give a range of linking systems from the simplest to a more sophisticated inserted loop method.
As a rough guide it is useful to estimate potential pull by using the Stacker as a standard unit. The average pull of a Stacker is approximately 50lbs. A ProTeam is roughly equal to 2 Stackers and a Super 10, 3 Stackers. Therefore it is relatively easy to get a rough idea of how much pull is likely from a given stack. Of course, pull can go up drastically with wind conditions and kite speed.

Separation for same size Flexifoils
Hot Shot 4 -  30 inches
Stacker 6 -  54 inches
ProTeam 8 -  62 inches
Super 10 -  72 inches

Flying Line strength - wind 10-12 mph
Hot Shot 4 (up to 6 units) - 150lbs
Stacker 6 (up to 6 units) -  200-250lbs
ProTeam 8 (up to 3 units) - 200-250lbs
Super 10 (up to 3 units) - 250-300lbs

When stacking different size Flexifoils, more distance should be allowed between each kite. 72 inches is a good starting point, especially when stacking 6ft and 10ft Flexifoils together. Smaller kites are usually put in front of, or below, the larger sizes. The Hot Shot 4 is not suitable for stacking with other sizes due to its small Wingspan.

ATB,
Sam
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:24 PM »

You forgot Super 10 to Hyper 12 and Hyper 12 to Hyper 16.  Wink

I normally use the above chart Sam posted, works pretty well.  I used 30" on my Hotshot stacks but they would tend to do strange things - I blame the crappy wind conditions we had at the time.  Still need to add more to see what will happen.

When stacking the larger sizes I don't think a few inches difference from that chart will make much difference, as long as both sides are equal.

-Mike
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:09 PM »

Thanks Sam and Mike.  This should be a great start.

You guys are the best!!     Grin

Magpiesfooty   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography