GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 10:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emong Low Wind Kite  (Read 2531 times)
Vernstein
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 17, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Hi All
I am new to Kiting, just started in March of this year .  I bought an Emong low wind and am having a terrible time even after over 2 hours of flight time.  It turns a 90 degree on it's side when line is pulled.  it nose dives almost all the time and the main line slips on the bridle and I don't know how to stop it or where to position it.  I tried adjusting the bottom tension and that didn't work.  And the line twists.  I bought this to relax and it has turned into a work and frustration verses relaation.    Folks what am I doing wrong?I fly in no wind to light and variable here in York, PA.
Ken Bour

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:53 PM »

I was about to purchase one myself and will be very interested to see what kind of response you receive to your challenges with this SLK.

I wrote to Will Sturdy inquiring about a Chiroptera; however, he is really busy and not sure when they will be available. I am at least on the waiting list...

I think, in the meantime, I may buy a ProDancer SUL from Skyburner or, alternatively, an Ocius SUL. Clearly, both kites have a solid reputations and they are dual-line to boot!

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:34 AM »

I haven't flown an emong but there are a few things to try that are common to all gliders.  First never yank the line or stop the pay out abruptly.  WHen at the end of your glide you have to pull the line gently to the side you want to turn to. Basically move your arm how you want  the kite to go.  IF you pull straight back you will get a nose dive.  Wait for the kite to turn at least 90 degrees before pulling in to climb.

Now if the kite doesn't want to turn fully and climb move your tow point forward slightly.  YOU want it set to a point just forward enough for the kite to turn easily but have a good climb rate.  Make sure you roll over the prusic knot on the tow point so it locks.  This can be difficult on some gliders because of how short the bridles are do you may have to add another wrap in the knot.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:11 PM »

And the line twists.  I bought this to relax and it has turned into a work and frustration verses relaation.    Folks what am I doing wrong?I fly in no wind to light and variable here in York, PA.

The only thing I've found that will help with any of the gliders' twisting lines is to always turn back the other way an equal amount that you are turning normally.  I'm right handed so I have to consciously think of turning to the left to equalize the twisting.  Short of disconnecting your flying line and putting it back on the winder you could always get a fairly large fishing swivel and it will help, although I'm really not sure how much. IMO most of the gliders like extra weight at the nose and not on the tow point.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:50 PM »

i use tiny tuna swivels.....very low profile....and they spin quite nicely....and do not weigh much either...
These are like the ones i use...but are even lighter....i think mine are 50#.....i can double check......super slick spinning...
http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SHSB-ALL

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ken Bour

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:05 PM »

Thief, I looked at the swivel pic, but I cannot quite visualize how it works when flying an SLK. For the uninitiated, can you explain a bit more fully how the line is threaded?

Thanks, Ken

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54 AM »

I I have small loop that attaches the swivel to the bridle.    Then a longer loop as the attachment point off the other side.   
I like these swivels as there are no clips on them....and they are low profile.   
I do have a number of linesets that just have a swivel and clip at the end of the line to attach to the kite as well...

The swivels in either location or configuration will help to reduce the twists in the line.

Vernstein

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:25 AM »

I am so glad I found this site and have gotten some great answers.  Quite frankly I was ready to give up and sell the Emong.  I still am having trouble learning how to launch it and in keeping the line from moving on the bridle.  As an avid fisherman I used to tie a small piece of rubber band above a bobber as a bobber stop.  Possibly this may also work in providing just enough friction to help keep the line from moving.  I also get frustrated from getting wrapped up in the line.  Here again, I may apply a fishermans technique and use an automatic fly reel (if I can find one) and clip it on my belt.  Your suggestions are very greatly appeciated.
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:42 AM »

The automatic fly reels don't work well at all.  In fact I don't think they make them anymore.  GEtting tangled in the line is all part of the "fun" of gliders Tongue   As for the bridle, make sure the tow point pig tail is attached with a prussic knot and make sure you roll that knot over to lock it.
http://images.ebsco.com/pob/summit/catalog/instr_prussic.pdf

http://www.my-best-kite.com/prusik-knot.html

http://gamma.nic.fi/~sos/knots.htm
Ken Bour

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 05:45 AM »

I I have small loop that attaches the swivel to the bridle.    Then a longer loop as the attachment point off the other side.   
I like these swivels as there are no clips on them....and they are low profile.   
I do have a number of linesets that just have a swivel and clip at the end of the line to attach to the kite as well...

The swivels in either location or configuration will help to reduce the twists in the line.

Thanks for that explanation. I think I see how it works now.

Looking at the link/pic you originally cited, that particular swivel is labeled "Heavy" and I don't see any weight information. The lowest strength is 150#; however, on another page (same site), they list this swivel (#10) which they label "tiny" and would be presumably much lighter. For a glider, a 35# strength should be OK, right? They also have a #8 which is rated at 50#. http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPSB-ALL.

What do you think?

Ken

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:51 AM »

The powsr swivels are not ball bearing, they run pretty free but  I use the Sampo style

http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SBSB2S%2DALL

You can get them at any fishing supply even drug stores around here like Rite Aid & Longs

I really like the ones Thief posted but I haven't seen them in a light enough size for the no wind gliders.

Oh if you fly in dusty or sandy condition here's a trick - get a couple candles and warm the swivel over one then drip/melt wax into the swivel with the other, then break it loose so it will spin freely again. The wax is a great dry lubricant and since you are filling the space it will keep any dirt from getting into the bearings and binding them up.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:10 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:47 AM »

Yeah the swivels i use are called "heavy, because they are heavy duty ones....they swivel very nicely...but i like the low profile aspect..

i just checked: I use the Size3 ones that are rated at 150#.   
I just picked up a pack of the Size 4 ones that are 240# test:

You can see how small they are...that is the 240 and it is almost as wide as a nickel....
Yes, I just paid 8.95 for a pack of 5....not bad for how nice they are.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 01:00 PM »

Jeez, the ones I bought must be the 1030 lb then, they didn't have a rating on the bin (bulk bin, not packaged) and the smallest they had were at least 3x that size. Guess I won't worry about them on any laundry I have then. Thanks for the picture and size comparison, I'm now needing some of those 150 & 240's.

I hadn't scrolled down to those specs and seen how small they do come. The small Sampo style I posted use split rings which have sharp points to wear on your lines, those are much nicer.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:13 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
boomertype
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:42 PM »

Just for an experiment, take any swivel, attach one of the swivel's eyes to a hook or nail on one end, on the other end attach about 100' your flying line.
Have someone start twisting the line at the handle end and see how may twists you get before the swivel turns.
Yes inquiring minds want to know.
I have extreme doubts twisting the line with a Ruby jeweled swivel would make a difference.
My guess line twist does nothing till you have more twists than you ever want to put in the line to create a turn.  Specifically with the light line used with gliders. I use swivels on larger kites and 90 lb up test line. But turning a glider with 30 lb line be twisting the line, I doubt it.
Please do this experiment.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:56 PM by boomertype » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08 PM »

The experiment is pointless.  YOu get 1 twist in a slack line and it will come out when you pull it in and put tension on it as you get the kite to climb.  Now back on topic.  There are a few ways to launch.  you can toss it out like a glider plane, grad it from the side and frisbee toss it or grab a couple feet below the kite on the line and overhand it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document