GWTW Forum
September 21, 2014, 07:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emong Low Wind Kite  (Read 2698 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 04:14 AM »

Just for an experiment, take any swivel, attach one of the swivel's eyes to a hook or nail on one end, on the other end attach about 100' your flying line.
Have someone start twisting the line at the handle end and see how may twists you get before the swivel turns.
Yes inquiring minds want to know.
I have extreme doubts twisting the line with a Ruby jeweled swivel would make a difference.
My guess line twist does nothing till you have more twists than you ever want to put in the line to create a turn.  Specifically with the light line used with gliders. I use swivels on larger kites and 6 90 lb up test line. But turning a glider with 30 lb line be twisting the line, I doubt it.
Please do this experiment.

I really use the swivel when I am wrapping the kite line up.   During flight its use is negligible......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 07:57 AM »

I really use the swivel when I am wrapping the kite line up.   During flight its use is negligible......

I'll agree with Anthony, there is some benifit while flying due to the constant changing tension. But except for the big kites I seldom unhook the kite before winding up, the swivel really helps then especially on a kite that has been looping.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 08:46 AM »

this also depends on what sort of winder you are putting it on and what method.......
if you hold the winder in one hand and wrap with the other then you are putting twists into the line.   if it is a yoyo and you roll it on it will not be twisted....
i keep 95% of my line on card winders so when putting the lines away they can become quite twisted.
just makes it a little easier

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 03:00 PM »

On a card winder wrapping in a figure 8 keeps the twists out, but when you're throwing the spool on the ground to fly a glider type kite that seems to tangle more then a straight wrap. I'm trying to get away from the hoop winders, I don't roll but wrap so there are always twists and they just take up too much space in the bag. just need to get on the jig saw and cut out a few dozen large 8 winders. I have a couple Gators & homebuilt fighter kite spools like the Gators I'll keep around though for the gliders and fighters.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 04:30 PM »

Quote from: thief
this also depends on what sort of winder you are putting it on and what method.......
if you hold the winder in one hand and wrap with the other then you are putting twists into the line.   if it is a yoyo and you roll it on it will not be twisted....
On a card winder wrapping in a figure 8 keeps the twists out, but when you're throwing the spool on the ground to fly a glider type kite that seems to tangle more then a straight wrap. I'm trying to get away from the hoop winders, I don't roll but wrap so there are always twists and they just take up too much space in the bag. just need to get on the jig saw and cut out a few dozen large 8 winders. I have a couple Gators & homebuilt fighter kite spools like the Gators I'll keep around though for the gliders and fighters.

Heh, you guys pretty much described the way I do things-- throw the yoyo on the ground, let line out, pull line in, then wind it back up. I do get some twisting, but so far it's been okay. At Ripon I went to help Jim (ozonejim) wind in a kite and he took the hoop from me (heh) and wound it himself, using that rolling method. It would be nice to use the rolling method, but man, it takes a loooong time to wind just one kite. I'd be there all day winding line for all the kites I want in the air.

Mike, I know what you mean about how much space these hoops take up. I was fighting it-- bought several of those Carey III winders. I would bring the kite down (line squiggled on the ground), then find myself a seat, wind the line around my leg once for some slight tension and go to town winding that sucker up. Hardly took any time at all and I didn't have a problem with the twists. In the end, I finally gave up and found a discounted piece of wheeled luggage that's big enough for several 8" hoops and a bunch of smaller ones. I got it at that Tuesday Morning store-- not sure you have one of those in your area.

You and Gibian are making a good case for wooden line winders, for all kinds of reasons.

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Ken Bour

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 03:53 PM »

I would like to hear again from Vernstein. Lots of advice has been presented. Did any of it work out?

What are your most recent experiences with the Emong?

Ken

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
Vernstein

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 07:37 AM »

Yes, thank you all.  I am still trying to master the Emong.  I am doing it in zero wind which I think for a beginner is a mistake. It still dives or I can hardly keep it flying more than a couple of minutes at a time. I keep it on a short line.  I have some vacation time this week and will try it in more of a light wind to a breeze.  It is embarrassing when you have onlookers and you have to take the proverbial "walk of shame"  However, I do know and am aware of 3 other words, Practice, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!.Thanks again for the Great Advice
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document