GWTW Forum
October 30, 2014, 04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MEFM question  (Read 4029 times)
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 19, 2012, 11:08 AM »

I noticed the other night while looking at my Aussie MEFM that is says "MEFM Big Easy Kites" on the back side of the trailing edge, its hand written in gold pen. Im almost 100% sure this is not a Big Easy version, it uses rubber tubing for connectors not the custom made peices that Ray used. Did Warren do this on all Aussie kites?
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:26 AM »

Hmm, interesting.

I have a Big Easy & AUS version and they have the same type rubber fittings.  I assumed that's what they all used, but perhaps not.  I suppose there were variations in the different generations.

Now I want to go dig them out & double check.  Cheesy

-Mike
coop

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38 AM »

Hmm, interesting.

I have a Big Easy & AUS version and they have the same type rubber fittings.  I assumed that's what they all used, but perhaps not.  I suppose there were variations in the different generations.

Now I want to go dig them out & double check.  Cheesy

-Mike

That is interesting. I wonder if Ray was using rubber tubing early on? Im pretty sure mine is Aussie. All the Big Easy versions were carrington cloth right? Im pretty sure mine is icarex.
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:42 PM »

All the Big Easy versions were carrington cloth right?

No they weren't.
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:06 PM »

EFMs were nylon with rubber tubes.  Early MEFMs were poly with rubber tubes.  Not sure when the clamshell fittings came along, but I have MEFMs that don't have them.

I don't recall any of my MEFMs having markings on them either.  I looked at 2 MEFMs and 2EFMs I just acquired and none of them are marked.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:20 PM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
coop

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Interesting. What are the odds mine is a Big Easy with rubber tubing and an icarex/ripstop sail?
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49 PM »

02/06/1995 is when he applied for the patent - Abstract:

A kite framing-member connector for forming a connection between at least two elongated kite framing-members. The kite framing-member connector comprises: a first framing-member connection fitting attached to a second framing-member connecting mechanism. The first framing-member connection fitting is adapted to receive and hold the end of a framing-member such as a spreader. The second framing-member connecting mechanism includes a flap portion having a flexible, flap-end portion that is securable to a kite framing-member, such as a leading edge spar, by surrounding and gripping a section of the kite framing-member. It is preferred to include an attachment structure carried on the flap-end portion that is connectable with a harness line in a manner such that tensional force on the harness line causes the second framing-member connecting mechanism to increase the gripping force applied to the section of the second kite framing-member about which the flap portion is secured.

Maybe someone can figure out when the first MEFMs were produced.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
coop

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48 PM »

Here's a pic. How did Ray sign? How does Warren sign?
coop

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:14 PM »

I got a chance to look at an aussie kite. The spars are different as well. And the sail material feels different. On the one that says "big easy" the spars are carbon, but do not looked wrapped. But on the aussie kite the are wrapped avia g force ul.

Any more thoughts?
Just trying to figure out if I lucked out and have a Big Easy version.  Smiley
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:11 PM »

As I recall mine are the same.  Pultruded carbon vs. wrapped carbon.  I keep meaning to dig them out, I'll try to look at them tonight to confirm.

-Mike
Craig

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:56 AM »

The Ray Bordelon made MEFM used G Force UL.
coop

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:36 AM »

Even the early ones?
What about the custom LE connectors? Do you know if they always had those?
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 11:57 AM »

The Ray Bordelon made MEFM used G Force UL.
For the Leading Edges and Lower Spreaders.

Upper Spreader and Spine were Avia .2200 or sometimes Beman strong 14/64".
Craig

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 02:20 PM »

Even the early ones?
What about the custom LE connectors? Do you know if they always had those?

I have no idea whether all (Ray made) MEFM's came with custom connectors and G Force, I can only say that mine and all the ones I've ever seen did.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 02:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change