GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 01:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MEFM question  (Read 3139 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 12:41 AM »

Nice Michel!

Coop, I shot some pics of mine today to show the similarities/differences:

MEFM Big Easy (this is on the back side trailing edge):

big easy standoff (notice the knock):

big easy rubber fitting:

MEFM AUS version (front side trailing edge):

AUS standoff:

AUS same rubber fittings (notice wrapped frame):

AUS version is also signed here by Warren, big easy version is not signed in this area (at least on mine):

AUS version has Avia G Force UL spreaders/LE's like you mentioned.

Sorry for the photo overload.  Wink

-Mike

brothers together:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:48 AM by Smeagol » Logged
coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 02:40 AM »

It appears, I have a big easy mefm! I guess the early ones used rubber tubing. Although mine does not have wrapped spars.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 05:57 AM »

Those are really nice Smeagol.

I don't have any experience with old school kite. Are they big pullers? Fly like buses?
coop

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 07:24 PM »

Mefm's are very precise flying kites. In a good breeze they will pull pretty good. They have an amazing wind range, probably the best I've ever flown.

Thanks for the pics Smeagol!

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Smeagol

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 11:24 PM »

No problem!

Until yesterday I forgot how nicely they fly. Wink  The tag/info sheet on my Big Easy MEFM says the wind range is 1-30MPH.  Huh  Pretty impressive.

I don't think they pull too bad, but then I've been known to pull out larger power kites and crazy stuff like that.  They are nearly infinitely adjustable, so if the pull gets to be too much you just adjust the bridle and you're good.

-Mike
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:27 PM by Smeagol » Logged
ndcmpc

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 09:59 AM »

I did some additional research and came up with the following.  The primary differences between the MEFM “version 1” from late 1993/early 1994 and the “version 2” from early/mid 1995 or so:

Version 1                                            Version 2
Top spreaders      Beman Carbon 14 light/strong       Avia Sport .220
Lower spreaders  Unwrapped, tapered, no name      Wrapped/tapered G-Force UL
Fittings                Pieces of rubber tubing                  Molded fittings
Standoffs               0.155 carbon tubes                     0.108 carbon rods

There were other differences too, but these are the big ones. 

The primary difference between the EFM and the version 1 MEFM was the sail material.  They shared frames/fittings but the EFM was nylon, the MEFM poly.

BTW, Ray did frame some entirely in Beman Strong 14 for the entire frame, so you may come across one of those.  I have a Beman framed EFM and MEFM.

So your MEFM with the rubber tubing and unwrapped tapered frame is a Big Easy MEFM.  Another thing I believe I see on yours that Ray did on the earlier models is the metal inserts for the standoff nock.

BTW, Ray told me those early EFM/MEFM frames were crap and they are.  Very fragile.  Change it out for GFUL or Skyshark Nitro.  I changed the frame in an EFM to GFUL and it flies great.  You get a stiffer, more durable frame and a more capable kite. 

I haven't seen significant differences between the capabilities of the kites with rubber fittings and those with molded fittings. 

If you measure bridles, be aware that the early ones larksheaded aroung the fittings while the later ones terminated in the molded fittings.  So if you are getting bridle measurements to fix/replace a bridle, ensure it matches what you have.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:06 AM by ndcmpc » Logged

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
coop

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 03:55 PM »

Sweet! So I have a very early MEFM! I don't have metal inserts for the nocks though. So the frame sucks? I gotta tell ya, this thing flies fantastic! I may think about reframing if I break something, but for now I'm leaving it. Cool

Smeagol

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 10:57 AM »

Sorry to dreged up an older thread, but it's related I swear!  Wink

I'm curious.. in looking over my MEFM's recently we noticed that the ones I have all have the lower spreader fitting (tubing) stoppers above the fittings on the lower spreaders, so essentially they don't really seem to do anything.

Anyone else have one w/rubber tubing that's the same?  The stoppers on the upper spreader fittings are below like one would expect.

The really odd thing is that all 3 of my MEFM's (well, 2 now Wink) are the very same way:  Big Easy, AUS and the Microlite.  On my Microlite I have notice the lower spreader fittings will actually slide down a bit when flying, so I have considered adding stoppers below them.

I've confirmed with Coop that his versions with tubing are the same way, so apparently it is by design.

Michel brought this to my attention yesterday when asking about the one I'm selling.

thanks,
  Mike
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:02 AM by Smeagol » Logged
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43 AM »

I don't recall any of my MEFMs having markings on them either.  I looked at 2 MEFMs and 2EFMs I just acquired and none of them are marked.

Have you looked on the trailing edge on the back of the sail ?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography