GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 03:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawn  (Read 2202 times)
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: June 20, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:03 PM by np » Logged
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:55 PM »

Norm -Is that using the same dimensions as the original reverse turbo fitted to the Shadow?

I'm currently using Norm's 3 point bridle which works well for me. Dimensions as measured on the kite are as follows :

Uphaul - 44cm ( with pigtail set on middle knot)
Outhaul - 57cm
Inhaul - 53.5cm

On this the kite flies well with most of the oversteer/twitchyness gone but all the tricks - at least all the ones I can do - still there.

The other problem I've found with the Shadow generally is that sometimes tricks like flic flacs seem to fail due to lack of inertia and roll ups have always been hard.  This is probably down to the very low weight of the Shadow - only 165 grams - so I'm going to try a few experiments to see if I can add a little weight and so more inertia without losing too much bottom end performance.

Anyone else ever tried any mod's on the Shadow other than the bridle?

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:28 PM »

@ username: Wayner...I added a long tow point pigtail with an extra knot to make a turbo. When you do your testing don't forget to adjust your tow point. I lowered mine 1/2". I  haven't given it a test flight yet. You haven't had any wind out there in area 51 yet, huh?

Thanks for the update. I should be finished tomorrow.  Smiley

We have had too much wind here around area 51. Boy, its enought to keep the flying saucer in the hangers.  Roll Eyes
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:39 AM »

@ Hadge....Yes, the measurements are very close to the same, but the configuration
is totally different. Also, now I have added the long tow point pigtail with an addictional knot to make a turbo. It's the same configuration as the Silver Fox tow point  "bead" turbo. This looks different because the Silver Fox has the tow point with the extended Leader Lines.
Does this make sense?

Yes I think I see, it's basically the 3 point with the option of a turbo?

How far down is your Turbo knot?

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:24 PM »

I'll give it a try next time out. Wink

Sketch

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Uh?
Looking at the shadow on the photo...compared to your measurements...HUMMM?
somethin
 just doesn't add up when I tried to re-configure my pre-production demo Shadow's bridle?
Chances are pretty strong that my  lack of cm' knowledge measurements don't add up to those shown on your photo?
dumb n dumber Don (exiled here in Gig Harbor with his exiled ol Shadown. Wink
Wayner

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 04:08 PM »

Norm,
Love the new bridle. Have flow the kite about 10 times and I'm astonish by the improvement for me as a one year trick flyer.

The kite is more stable at its lower wind range. The twitchy action is gone.

A big bonus is the improved line feedback. Line pull is stronger, allowing for better communication between the pilot and kite.

A side note, The improved line feel clearly showed the bumpiness of wind on the sail, but this did not affect the kite performance. The Shadow cut through it, much like my Mongooses.

Chilese had a brief chance to fly the Shadow, till one of my bridle knots moved. Not sure it it was enought time for him to develop a opinion

Could not be happier, Thanks Norm
Wayner

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 04:48 PM »

Glad you liked the bridle.....Now show me (video) four Backspins/Barrel Rolls and I'll show you a new pair of Flight/Finger Straps.  Wink

Now that is a offer!  Wink
Hadge

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:05 AM »

Chilese had a brief chance to fly the Shadow, till one of my bridle knots moved. Not sure it it was enought time for him to develop a opinion.

The Shadow bridle tends to slip as it's unsleeved Dyneema - try rubbing some Beeswax on the knots that usually stops it. I've retied mine in such a way that it can't slip.

I don't know which version of Norm's bridle you are using - the 3  point or the Turbo - but it makes a big difference to the Shadow. 

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:47 PM »

I don't know which version of Norm's bridle you are using - the 3  point or the Turbo - but it makes a big difference to the Shadow. 

I am using the turbo bridle. Don't have the 3 point to compare to. But very happy with the turbo. Smiley
Wayner

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30 PM »

Yes, it made a difference for me also.

I am using the turbo bridle. Don't have the 3 point to compare to. But very happy with the turbo. Smiley
The picture above in the first post shows the bridle in a turbo position. To move it to a 3-point setting, just loosen the larkshead and move it down on top of the tow point. Hope that makes sense.

I got it Norm. I will also try the 3 point setting to see what I like better

nobbl2k

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:37 PM »

Are the values in the second post correct?
Is the outhaul really longer than the inhaul?
Hadge

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 01:32 AM »

Are the values in the second post correct?
Is the outhaul really longer than the inhaul?

Yes those measurements are correct - I just measured it again to double check myself!

You will find a BIG difference in the way it flies - much smoother and almost no oversteer, it makes it a much nicer kite.  I'm working on another mod which also seems to help but that needs a little more airtime to be sure.  When/if I'm happy it really works I'll post details in due course.  Wink

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:08 AM »

As a new owner of a Shadow I'll take this into consideration. Haven't had it out yet. I flew one way back when they were first out and didn't have a bad impression of the bridle, but maybe it will reveal its evil side with time.

Other than oversteer, what is corrected in the new bridle?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hadge

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39 AM »

The main thing is bringing the oversteer under control, it was always a problem on the Shadow and you either adjusted to it or got rid of the kite - hence it's love it ot loathe it reputation - which was a shame as it's a very good UL.  This way you get rid of the oversteer and keep all the tricks and low wind ability.

It's easy enough to tie the new bridle alongside the original bridle so you can swap from one to the other to compare them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change