GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single line kite bridle design website  (Read 842 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 22, 2012, 08:46 AM »

Can any recommend a web site that talks in depth about single line kite bridle design?

I've got a single attachment point on my micro kite right now and I'm wondering if a two point design might be better. The micro kite folks seem to all use a single point so that's why I haven't bothered trying anything else. I'm mostly looking for greater stability.  I've got some side to side rocking action that I'd like to tune out if possible.

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks

JW
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:18 AM »

how big are you talking?

the side - to - side would be taken out by a 3 legged bridle....and they are harder to do on a miniature....

a two legged bridle is good if you want to be able to adjust it for different flight conditions....

usually you see a single point when the maker knows where the ultimate point is for flight, but also due to you can create any sort of winds you like indoors and so you could just slow the movement down to make the kite fly nicer....

diamond? flat? cellular?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
John Welden

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Theif,

It's an Eddy and is about 3.75 x 3.75 inches.

So what you're saying is that the only reason to use a 2 point bridle would be to make adjustment easier. Otherwise, if I know a single point location that works well, I should just use that? 

I could make a three point, but like you said, it would be difficult.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:12 AM »

If you are planning on just using it inside, outside in zero, i would keep the single point.   The dance/wobble/side-to-side will be apparent...but that would be apparent to you....and everyone else will see a super cool miniature kite.

the two legged would just help if you wanted it to fly in real winds stable.....

After seeing other things you have made i cannot wait to see this piece!
(that ring still sticks in my mind as one of the coolest things i have ever seen!)

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
John Welden

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48 AM »

After seeing other things you have made i cannot wait to see this piece!
(that ring still sticks in my mind as one of the coolest things i have ever seen!)

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that.

I'm pretty sure you guys will like the kite. The box it comes in you'll like for sure. It's just a tad bit over kill.... Cheesy
I'm trying my best to be done by this weekend. Every single step of this project has taken about 100 times longer than I had anticipated. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:50 AM by John Welden » Logged
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07 AM »

Hi John,

You may have already seen these, but these pages from Glenn Davison and Tom Tinney have a few nuggets about bridles, though nothing specific about multi-point vs. single point.

Hope there's something there that might help.

Bob
John Welden

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27 AM »

[...] The box it comes in you'll like for sure. It's just a tad bit over kill...
I'm expecting it to be precision milled out of a billet of solid Titanium, am I close?  Grin

You know me too well. You're pretty close.  Cheesy

Thanks dude.
John Welden

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:30 AM »

Hi John,

You may have already seen these, but these pages from Glenn Davison and Tom Tinney have a few nuggets about bridles, though nothing specific about multi-point vs. single point.

Hope there's something there that might help.

I will take a look again, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document