GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 02:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Member OzoneJim has passed  (Read 4675 times)
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 12:36 AM »

This is just terrible news. I've only known Jim for such a short time, but I enjoyed every single minute of it. I will forevermore have a picture of him in my head of him sitting in his kite bag car, watching the goings-on, shootin' the breeze, and flying his kites. Always with a smile. They may not allow Candy Drops in San Ramon, CA anymore.... but I betcha anything they're going to allow them in Heaven.

God bless Jim.

Nancy

(If I ever do spring for a Rev, it will be Jim's fault. He has me convinced)

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
Bodega Bay Flyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 10:03 AM »

I am so shocked and sorry to hear of Jim's passing! He was always a fun person to hang-out with at Kite Party and Berkeley. I always couldn't wait to see all the pictures he would post from all his kite flying escapades! Smooth winds Jim.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 10:41 PM »

For anyone interested we are working on plans for our own "Jim approved" memorial for our next Ripon fly.  WIll post up more details when I put up the fly posting in the gatherings section.  He was a cornerstone of our group, our friend and brought a unique passion and personality that will never be replaced.  He will always fly with us in spirit.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:20 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52 AM »

So, so sad...  Such a great loss to the kite community.

Condolences to Jim's family.

Lynn and I will miss you Jim.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 02:07 PM »

I met Jim at KP, he was always such a positive, and friendly person... He will be greatly missed

Condolences to his family and friends

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

RenoKiteKids

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Wow, we just heard about Jimmy - we're so sad - he was a really good kite flyer friend of ours.  He will be missed.
Condolances to his family.
JJ and Brenda
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33 PM »

I flew with Jim in my heart this past Sunday, thought of him often, grateful for his life.

Known him since I was a pup, and never ONCE did I see anything negative come from him regardless of the situation.

A clean (and huge) heart, a true kite lover (all kinds), a good man who will be dearly missed by many.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Farmer_rob
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 05:59 PM »

Well said John

Farmer Rob est. 1999
Longtime Member- Ask Dan Whitney- LOL
(and if u don;t know Dan, well... there's yer sign)
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44 PM »

Ahh,, Jim.... I will see you tomorrow in the wind.
CV

Ca Ike

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 08:10 PM »

Here's what was passed to me that the family has decided to do.

"There will be a memorial service/celebration/party held in ozonejim's honor on Sunday July 1st at Lake Yosemite Sailing association, Lake YOsemite, merced, CA.  Festival will begin at 3pm. There will be music, Ozone story time, pot luck and Tecate (Jims favorite beer)  Bring your kites ground displays and color as the family would like to see what Jim has loved for years.
Farmer_rob
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Thanks Ike

Farmer Rob est. 1999
Longtime Member- Ask Dan Whitney- LOL
(and if u don;t know Dan, well... there's yer sign)
Ca Ike

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 03:24 AM »

Thanks Ike
NP see ya there Rob
moegeo

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17 PM »

Merced Sun Star:

Man who drowned in Lake Yosemite was kite enthusiast
By VICTOR A. PATTON
A 68-year-old man who drowned in Lake Yosemite has been identified by the coroner's officer as Jim Strealy of Merced.
Although deputies are still unsure about how Strealy ended up in the water, the death is believed to be accidental and foul play isn't believed to be a factor, according to Deputy Tom MacKenzie, sheriff's spokesman.
Deputies have speculated Strealy may have been flying a large kite too close to the water on Friday, near the Department of Fish and Game building, and fell in. "He wasn't swimming," MacKenzie said.

SUN-STAR PHOTO BY GEORGE MACDONALD Jim Strealy is shown here flying a kite at Lake Yosemite, in a photo taken in 2008. Strealy was pronounced dead at Mercy Medical Center Merced early Saturday, not long after citizens pulled him from Lake Yosemite.

An autopsy was conducted Tuesday, but the final results won't be available until a later date.
MacKenzie said the kite Strealy was flying required two hands to operate. Deputies found items for the kite in Strealy's car.
The victim's nephew, 46-year-old Turlock resident Mike Strealy, said his uncle was a kite enthusiast, owning "a few hundred" kites -- including one with a wing span of around 30 feet.
Mike Strealy said his uncle had been going to the lake to fly kites for years, on an almost daily basis. He said law enforcement's theory of how his uncle died is plausible. He added that his uncle had a bad knee and may have accidentally fallen into the water. "Where he fell in wasn't deep, but if you go further it drops off pretty quickly," Strealy said.
Mike Strealy said he'll remember his uncle as a fun-loving person who enjoyed sharing his appreciation of kites with others. Strealy said onlookers would sometimes start conversations with his uncle about his kites, and he'd often let them fly some of his beginner models. "That was his thing. Everybody liked him," Strealy said. "It was really impressive what he could do with his kites."
A retiree who used to work at a nut processing plant, Jim Strealy also participated in April's Livingston Kite Festival, and had organized the annual kite-flying day at Merced College. He traveled to kite festivals around the state, Mike Strealy said.
In 2008, Jim Strealy told a Sun-Star photographer he'd been flying kites seriously for almost a quarter of a century. He owned so many kites, there were some he hadn't even flown. When asked what motivated him, Jim Strealy replied "I put on my music and dance with the wind."
Divorced, Strealy is survived by his daughter, Lindsay Strealy, 28, and son John Daniel Strealy, 17.
A potluck and memorial will be held 3 p.m. Sunday at Lake Yosemite to remember him.
City Editor
Victor A. Patton can be reached at (209) 385-2431 or vpatton@mercedsunstar.com.

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2012/06/26/2398981/man-who-drowned-in-lake-yosemite.html?storylink=addthis#.T-u8_XkhFSA.facebook#storylink=cpy

Say Good Night Dick
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47 PM »

Nice article, thanks for posting that George.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
moegeo

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 06:04 PM »

It would be nice if you are flying tomorrow, you would fly one for Jim. Post  a photo and a remembrance and we will share with the attendees at Jim's party.
Thanks, Geo..

Say Good Night Dick
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document